Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Binoculars for texture challege T.I. vs Locrian

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 04:31
First off I need to state that locrian and I are not battling each other, mad at each other, or anything of that nature. In the speaker thread I posted we discussed me making a model and both of us doing a texture for it so I could get a different perspective on detail texturing. I would like to turn this into a freindly competition. I seem to learn more when I,m being challenged.
So what do you think loc, would this be a good model for our texture comp? If so I will finish it in the morning and email the .3ds file to ya. As for the rest of you guys what do you think about the binos' so far?
http://user229510.websitewizard.com/images/binosnap1_copy.jpg
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 04:32
well crap the image didnt show, hold on
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 04:33
here, sorry about that guys.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 05:38
Sure I'm getting to this forum kinda late tonight as I had some reseach to do, so I wasn't avoiding ya. But yeah. We'll take a slash at it and see what we come with man......fire it off soon as ya can. hope your not like wanting it the same day....have to fit it in with other things I'm doing, but sure.

I say afterwords we both release our textures to your freebie, much like RF and I did with the planes deal.
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 05:57
sounds great, after I send it to you would a week be long enough for you to have your version complete?
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 10:03
Looks nice

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 16:45
Nah. More then likely a few(3 or so) days at most. I don't really plan on going like 500 layers for a set of binoculars. Just fit it in when I can.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 17:02
Nice model TI. These comps are great for everyone.

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 16:27
I have sent you the .3ds mesh loc.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 18:33
Yeah I seen man....Lil stiff on the polys, so not something I'd release with my name on it. What I will do though is document my progress, and write a tutorial on multi(since the knobs are seperate meshes)mesh texturing which could come in handy for those doing guns and entities with movable parts. This would also give a much toned down(im not doing 500 layers) insight to the methods of texturing I picked up from Errant(or my version of his "layers gone wild" method).
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 20:08
Yea I know that 1040 is a little high for a set of binos but I really didnt have time to reduce it. sorry.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 21:13
Not bad!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 19:52 Edited at: 12th Dec 2006 19:58
I don't have alot of time to work on this but heres my progress. I also got it down to 886 tris total as there was an odd lens deal you had going on. I wasn't really going for any reduction but had to fix it so it would texture corectly. I see a few places you can improve the model.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 20:59
Looking good locrian. Please send me an email pointing out the areas for improvement. I was already aware of the lens issue and have corrected it, Imust have sent you the uncorrected .3ds file sorry about that. I also played with the reduction a little and managed to get it down to 770 but thats boarder line I think for this one.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 20:59
Locrian,
You always do such a good job of texturing.
It looks great so far.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 00:50
hmm. I seem to be having some mapping issues with this one. As soon as I figure this out I will start the texture process. Sorry for the delay loc.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 04:34
hehe....Well I guess this gives me some time then....Let me know when your at my stage and I'll start up again..

Good luck man
Loc
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 04:36
funny, funny. lol. I am right behind ya bud just havin some drawbacks on this one. lol
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 05:58 Edited at: 13th Dec 2006 06:01
Yeah mapping an uneven radius isn't fun huh....Serves ya right for sending me the uncorrected version.....Trying to trip me up huh???
Quote: "
"Sorry""

surrreeeee ya are......

Isn't my specular highlight that runs down the length so purty....no distortions.....no shifting one way or another.....
*insert evil laugh now
MuhahahHAHahahAHAha

Edit: Man when were done, I'll send you all my stuff and psd's and notes on improvements....I wanna see ya swallow some water before I throw out a perserver though
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 16:50
Quote: "Yeah mapping an uneven radius isn't fun huh...."

I have had a lot of problems with those. Also, cylinders with even radii but bent ones (like make a cylinder with 5 faces and 3 segments, bend each segment by 10-15 degrees, such that the whole thing looks like a pipe bent in 2 places) I just couldn't UV map that without manually moving all the vertices and faces (took me more than 10 hours!!)

How do you do those things? Any easier way?
btw, I use Lithunwrap.

Thanks

-filya

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 17:51
@filya
Man I have no clue in Lith. I use the plane ole 3d max capabilities which I personaly think can't be beat by any other program. I've used Lithunwrap...didn't like it....UvMapper....didn't like it. My knowledge(of which could fill a thimble) is pretty one track, I'm sorry to say. I kinda only know how to use one set of programs and even then my pipeline/workflow would probably be questionable to a pro.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 19:38
hmm...I guess the UVmapping capabilities of 3dMax must be much better than that of Lithunwrap. Its such a pain to be mapping anything more complex than basic shapes with lithunwrap. I literally have to move each face (or vertex) manually.

Anyways, thanks Loc.

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 21:07 Edited at: 13th Dec 2006 21:11
Quote: "I literally have to move each face (or vertex) manually"

It's pretty much the same deal with Max, Filya. Anything that can't simply be planar or cylindrical mapped requires time and effort.

If something's taking you ten hours then you're probabily doing it right... and will only get faster with experience.

edit: Map is looking pretty good, Loc. What's up with the knob on top?
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 23:07
Errant the body of the mesh and two knobs were included in the file I was given. Rather then attaching them, I decided when I posted the texture I'd also include some notes along with the psd. People can then look at the model and the psd and the notes to better help them texturing things like say a gun where portions are parented to a base. You don't see the front knob in that image but it also was left with the checker pattern I use wile mapping to look at distortions. In this image only the "base" had a texture applied to it.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 00:01
lol...thanks for the encouragement Errant.

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 01:52
Ok I finallt got he uvmap worked out and did most of the texturing, but I still need to add a little more before it is completed. what do ya think there loc?

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 02:17
Not bad at all. Seems tomarrow I'll have to get back on this and finish it up.

One sugestion though. On your lens, try and boarder it with a solid color to offset the angles. See how my lens appears round and theres a small boarder to fill in the angles. Dirty it up a lil. Your stuff always looks vacume sealed to me...lol..

Good one though, I'll get back to work tomarrow
Loc
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 02:20
oOoOoOoOoOo I don't know Locrian, I see what you mean, sorta, but I think his lenses look a weeee bit better, just my opinion.

I wish I could texture or model as good as you guys.

Tiggle Bitties

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 03:02
Thank you loc. Although I like my lens, I must agree with you on this one. lol I realize that most of my models look like they were just taken out of the box. I should probably at least add a scratch hugh. Thanks for the comp loc, and you as well jenkins.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 17:03
TI, don't look like I'm working on this at all today. Seems S4 and myself have to back up our stuff and revert to an earlier version as when characters are in a scene, the AI horribly slows the map down. I also have to finish up some work on a character thats vital to a section were working on and this has to take presidence over our little compo here.

I will finish it up as soon as I can, but I can't afford the time right at this very moment.

@Jenkins
I wasn't talking about his glass texture. He could use the same one. My comment was regaurding an eye trick that many use to throw off the look of those unsightly lines on an object thats supposedly round.

If you look at the above wheel, them using a circle to outline the wood throws off the appearance that its a octagon.
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 03:54
Hey man, I understand handle your stuff. I will continue with my version as I have a couple of adjustments to make. maybe people will be nice and keep this thread alive for us until we finish this.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 06:26
Oh, my bad locrian, I just misunderstood. I see what you mean

Tiggle Bitties

the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 17:16
Since this is a freindly competition I will add a voting poll to my site so you guys will have a place pick from.

www.3dmodelhaven.com
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2006 23:37
sorry for the bump, but I am trying to keep this thred alive until locrian finds the time to finish his version.

www.3dmodelhaven.com
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 02:27 Edited at: 20th Dec 2006 02:30
Here so I can be over this, I did a quick finish to her tonight, sorry I can't really afford the time.

I get this all zipped up and send you it all tonight to the email in your profile.

100%hand painted and filters/74 layers: No google images were harmed in the texturing of this item.
Peace
Loc
the inovator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2006 02:54
There was no big rush to finish loc, I just didnt want the thread to die out before you did finish it though lol. (looks good)

www.3dmodelhaven.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 02:41:35
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 02:41:35