Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How long does it take to learn?.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 12:04
How long should it take learn. When i had StarTrek Bridgecommander game i did a very little script mod which was to change the main camera veiew from captains chair to behind the the captains chair.

How long in average does it take to learn DBP?

Thanks
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 16:25
It depends on whether you have any previous programming experience or not.

I've been programming around thirty years but totally new to 3D principles so it took me around three months to get into DB to a reasonable level.

If you've never programmed before, then you are probably looking at twelve months or more to get to a good standard. It's certainly not 'click n play'!

I've been using DB for five or six years now and there are still things I wouldn't call myself proficient at!

TDK_Man

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 03:57
How long is a piece of string?

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson
skipper 847
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 13:54
I dont get your point FlibXOr?.
Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 02:42
His point is that your question "how long should it take to learn" is very difficult to answer, since it implies that there is a point at which you have actually learnt everything about it. I can say that I know English, after all it is my native language, but I still have to take English class because I can't know all of it.

It should take you a couple days to completly understand the text commands. Of course, on the first day you can probably get a rotating cube on your screen, but there is a lot to learn when it comes to 3d commands.

I agree with TDK's estimate of 12 months to get to a good standard. The point that (I think) flibXOr was making is that it doesn't stop there.

Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 06:27
len$(string$)

ONE YEAR. THAT IS THE APPROXIMATE TIME IN WHICh you should be able to program fluently in DBP without constantly reffering to the commandlist.

skipper 847
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 11:22
thanks oh FlibXOr i didnt no whever you was been sarky sorry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:23:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:23:41