Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My Upcoming Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to make an online game bigger than runescape. A virtual world WAY bigger than any other game. I\\\'m going to get DBPro what else should I get?
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 23:29
No.

DON'T start waaaaaaaaaaay to big try making a spinning cube game (aka attack of the spinning cubes) that you can reverse the axi's and direction of spin on easy and good way to learn , i did

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2006 23:39
Uhh.

Go ahead and try, I don't think you'll get anywhere.

Not to be mean, but its not like you buy this and you learn everything right away. I'm making an online game, but I have 2 years of DB experience. And I'm STILL having a lot of problems.

And don't make a bunch of threads on the same thing.

And don't ask for a team if you haven't done anything.

Well, now that we've gone through the rules, buy DBPro, and start small. One day, you'll be able to make that dream game

-Mansoor Siddiquie

MOBLINSLAYER 1
Years of Service
User Offline
ty
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 01:50 Edited at: 11th Dec 2006 01:51
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 04:20
wow, I don't think you have any idea what your getting into . So I don't have to rexplain it, read my guide and see if it helps you figure out what your really getting into. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89180&b=7

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 04:04
"MOBLINSLAYER 1"

Dont tell me there's more of you...

Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 07:25 Edited at: 12th Dec 2006 07:27
Quote: ""MOBLINSLAYER 1"

Dont tell me there's more of you..."

This and two posts up make me lol

But getting back on topic, you need DBP and ten other forum accounts, a pimple behind the ear like mine, a modelling app and an imaging app, and lots of skealz. (guess which two of these are false )

Start small, like with a cube that can move around, and then go on to something like pong and then a basic FPS--remember to keep the FPS centered around functionality and flexibility of the engine and not just graphics or "getting it to work sort-of".

My first program was three tree models spinning around at the same time, and not syncing twice to every rotation that took place.

bla

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
start experimenting with making cubes spheres, detecting angles , force by calculating variables and making pong or something.

A non boring way of learning is to make a SMALL rpg(like one town) using variables cubes and spheres.

A game- nvidia cancelled but preserved till ive finished the current

Game progress- 5 percent
Ankillito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 23:18
I think the question deserves a realistic answer. I know that I have a lnog way to go, but I too want to know if it's practical to make massively multiplayer online games in DB. Can it be done?

"There will always be evil, for, without evil, the good shall lose their virtue."
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 01:45 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 16:08
Sure it can be done, but not in DB, use DBP.

Quote: "A virtual world WAY bigger than any other game."

TGC forums gets posts like this a lot. If you want to make a really huge game, spend a few months learning modeling, game world buliding, texturing, and then spend maybe a few years making literally hundreds of game worlds. It's a lot of work, most games are made by large teams.

Ok, it's very hard. Impossible to do it right away. You might want to go for it anyway, just to see how long the road of game dev is.

If you're serious and willing to spend 3+ years or so learning DBP (and you'll need a modeling package, I'm getting gameSpace.), you've come to the right place. Once you've made Pong read my Pac-Man tutorial, see my sig. It's helped me and several others get loads better at coding.

[offtopic]
Game dev is very hard, and some people don't think it's worth it. I just have to vent something...

If it's not worth it, then why do new games keep coming out?

In the 1990s there was an indi game developer, he was an expert at shareware. Up until this October I went to his site, not to play games but to read the shareware articles, which were very good. Then he shut down his business, Dexerity Software, because he was making a website on personal development. He promisied the game dev community a book on game publishing, but cancled it because he had already transitioned to personal development. All his experience is going to dissapear. He said he canceled it because writing on his website for personal development is so much faster than game dev. Here's what I say:

If writing is so much faster than game dev, why won't you write the book? You're making a book, not a game!

Much of his credibility in the game dev community has been destroyed. I managed to save some of his Dexerity software articles from all over the net, they dissapeared along with the site.

If anyone is interested in these articles, make a post here. I've got 8 of them.

Why would you throw away knowlage? If you're an expert on anything, get out there and make a web site for others to learn from! Spread the word! What are you waiting for?

[/offtopic]

Cave Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 02:17 Edited at: 17th Dec 2006 02:17
@Code Dragon:
Lately i've been tempted to make a tutorial. I'm afraid i'll mislead people though....

EDIT: Sorry. Offtopic

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 20:16
Cave Man, don't worry about misleading people, no matter how complex games get (even virtual reality) they'll still be HUDs. 2d is something worth knowing.

Jerok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 04:26 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 16:27
just a few things to remember for anyone who is thinking of making an MMO
1. it is possible in DBPro
2. the really sucessful MMO's such a World of Warcraft have very high budgets to work with when making their games
3. many MMO's are made that are unable to support their own server costs
4. if you do make an MMO that is able to support server costs you will never be finished with it and will have to spend time constantly making new updates to the game to keep players interested
5. it is ALOT of work

i dont want to dicourage anyone from making the game of their dreams i just think that everyone should know the facts before they make a decision
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 05:37
This thread makes me giggle like a small girl

Big whorls have little whorls which feed on their velocity,
Little whorls have lesser whorls and so on to viscosity. - Lewis F. Richardson

Also, my website has no content. But it looks perty

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:36:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:36:03