Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] Level design tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 00:44
Well this might seem as stupid.But people still stuff up level design and light mapping.I try and keep this up to date at least once a week and post new maps multiplayer and single player.

Every thing is done with default segments.So you can download the FPM files and use them as you see fit but PLEASE don't use them for your own games.

Some tips for now.

Tips

1. Start in the middle of your level builder.
2. Use rather a few ranged light sources than just one light source
3. Never use ONLY pure single white light sources
4. Never use a single coloured light source.
5. After importing textures and entities do a level test.
6. Refrain from using Fog in door in small cramped area’s
7. Use your entity library to it’s full extent never leave a room or area empty
8. Refrain from using light sources that does not fit your level.
9. Plan your level carefully, think how the user should be playing your level never just throw your entities around in a level thinking it might look good.
10. Give your player an escape route if his health or ammo is low.
11. Has being said before never build a long corridor.
12. Never use out of place objects.
13. Always use light mapping were possible. Nothing look worst than a game with no light mapping.
14. Shaders use them if you can just makes your game look so much more appealing
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 00:45
A simple single player level.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 01:08
@Wizard of id- Good stuff!

To piggy back off of your list here is a littl emore information.
This is personal preference, but has never let me down in the past.

Light source issues

try to avoid using the large 500 light range setting. A realistic range is more like 75-100 for indoor and incliment weather situations. 150-200 is great for outdoor lighting or large room lighting. remember that fog plays a big role in the amount of light you should use. if the fog is working correctly it will diminish your light source range so keep that in to account when selecting the light range. Using pure white as the loght color is a bad idea as no light is true white. try using an eggshell or off white instead. When placing lights make sure that you plan your room layout prior to adding lights, this will ensure that your lights will cast proper shadows of the entities in this room. Remember it's all about atmosphere not how many lights you can cram in to a single area.

Placement entities

When creating your level design (on paper) try to factor in player/enemy collision. you don't want things to be so tight that the enemy gets hung on a box/crate. If you absolutely have to cram everything together you can place dynamic entities in the places that make the passage unusable, forcing player interaction with the environment. think to yourself "Does this entity need to be here?" just because the room is empty or close to empty doesn't mean you have to fill the void with a thousand other entities. some of the best rooms are decoration with very few items. Remember that atmosphere is the key.

*some other notes*

-- Remove things that the player is not going to see.
-- try to go light in the AI scripts, they will bog down your game.
-- Read the manual! please read it.

have fun!

RF
--

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 01:29
@Reality Forgotten Glad you added some thing.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 01:33
I like helping people. Even though it seems like I bash more than I help.

So i take this time to say I'm sorry if I have bashed anyone in the last few months. I have let my personal life interact with my forum life. I need to get it in check....So from this point on nothing but helpfull words (unless someone hits the big red button )

Glad I could help. I hope more people chime in.

RF

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 01:47
If you haven't already, you should check this out:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=61947&b=19

Great info.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 02:15 Edited at: 12th Dec 2006 02:22
@xplosys thanks I didn't see it but this is a little more personal.That and FPS creator specific.

A simple multiplayer map needs some work but this is what this type of map should look like might be a little big.Note the sniper spot.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 02:16
Id love for some seriously detailed light mapping, for some gloomy apartments type style *Indoor*

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 11:35
Quote: "14. Shaders use them if you can just makes your game look so much more appealing "

14. Shaders AVOID them if you can since they cause problems on a number of graphic cards.

That's my experience at least.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 17:25
@Benjamin A

Quote: "14. Shaders AVOID them if you can since they cause problems on a number of graphic cards."

Keep in mind if you don't have an upto date GPU that's your problem,also if you intend to do game development your hardware you use should at least be on par with the end user.So keep the end user in mind not the developer....

How many graphics cards do you know of in the current cycle and he previous cycle that doesn't work...???
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 18:30 Edited at: 12th Dec 2006 18:41
Quote: "if you intend to do game development your hardware you use should at least be on par with the end user.So keep the end user in mind not the developer...."

Excactly..... there are more end users that still use the older gfx cards instead of the current and previous cycle. My gfx is pretty much an average one, being used by the majority of computer owners. Most people simply do not have the latest machines. I'm not aiming at the hardcore gamers, I'm aiming at the more general public.

BUT..... recommending not using shaders has nothing to do with the gfx card at all. It's not that my gfx card can't do shaders. I've just played stronghold 2 putting every setting to the max and using shaders 2.0, worked fine. I've played many more games using shaders without a probkem.

We all know shaders in FPSC do behave weird at times and are very buggy, that's why I do recommend not using them.

Quote: "if you intend to do game development"

I don't intend to, I already do so, were have you been lately

By the way, a couple more remarks....

1. Start in the middle of your level builder.
Why?

3. Never use ONLY pure single white light sources
Why not?

(I've been working on a realistic project and only use white lights, since those are most realistic. In most of the houses in countries I've visited people use white lights.)

4. Never use a single coloured light source.
Why not?

6. Refrain from using Fog in door in small cramped area’s
FPSC fog doesn't even work in small cramped areas, it has a set range.

7. Use your entity library to it’s full extent never leave a room or area empty

But be carefull that you don't overdo it, before you know you're going to infuence the framerate very negatively. You can't just stuff your levels with entities, we all know that's going to cause problems.

Many of your points are excellent but with some of them I do wonder what the reasoning is behind them. They seem a bit arbritary, while there's really nothing wrong with not following the guide.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 19:02
Quote: "1. Start in the middle of your level builder.
Why?"

First of it's the best place to start and second it allows for tweaking to your hearts content...

Quote: "3. Never use ONLY pure single white light sources
Why not?"
Well for one no light in real life is pure white.And it makes dull level design...period.That and white does not stimulate the end user playing the level....read up on these things mabye you'll learn some thing.

Quote: "4. Never use a single coloured light source.
Why not? "
Well first of it looks bad in FPS creator.That and people on this forum doesn't use it correctly.

Quote: "6. Refrain from using Fog in door in small cramped area’s
FPSC fog doesn't even work in small cramped areas, it has a set range."
Don't make me post screenshots....

Quote: "7. Use your entity library to it’s full extent never leave a room or area empty

But be carefull that you don't overdo it, before you know you're going to infuence the framerate very negatively. You can't just stuff your levels with entities, we all know that's going to cause problems."
Then your doing it wrong....

As for the GPU debate well sorry for the odd 10% of the market that does not the specs to run this software....Now I wonder why people put system requirements on the back of the box....???
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 19:22
10%???? If you would be paying for the upgrades needed on this forum alone, you would need a huge loan from the bank. We're not talking about 10% at all, but if you want to believe so, fine.

I'd love to know your experience in gamedesign.... not by word but by showing me something. Your wanting to sound like a pro, but.....

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 20:23 Edited at: 12th Dec 2006 20:28
I have to agree with Ben here. Little has to do with peoples machines as much as FPSC. And most people do not have high end machines.

Quote: "As evidenced here at Geek.com, many like to pontificate on the merits of AMD versus Intel, and the discussion always seems to trend towards "mine is faster than yours." What many seem to lose sight of is that the vast majority of the population is not running an Athlon 2600+ or a Pentium4 2.8GHz. Valve Software did a nice survey of a few hundred thousand gamers and noted that most of them are still running P-IIIs or Athlons in the 700MHz-900MHz range. In fact, only 3% of respondents indicated they were running a CPU at a speed greater than 1.8GHz, and more importantly, they're more or less satisfied with that level of performance."

*referance site
http://www.geek.com/newsbeta2/geeknews/2002Sep/gee20020917016378.htm

This was with a quick check and very little research. Not sure where you get that only 10% aren't running top end machines. I dont consider "P-IIIs or Athlons in the 700MHz-900MHz range." high end. No offence but I'll take Valves research over that of your own.

But an "atta-boy" for the tutorial anyways...

Good luck
Loc
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 20:47
@Benjamin A
See your not getting the point I'm not building a game for the forum members more than half the users here is still in school of sorts...Which also shows the lack of exprience in game development...period.Besides FPS creator is a tool for the younger kids....

Quote: "I'd love to know your experience in gamedesign.... not by word but by showing me something. Your wanting to sound like a pro, but....."

Well lets see currently I'm busy with 3 projects.The FPS creator game called Pointless Assault.http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=90393&b=25

A Half-Life 2 Mod

And the other project that has been put on hold till next year.A game called Knoxville:Crime on the run.With 3D gamestudio pro.

Speaking about experience about 5/6 years in total.In the process of setting up a massive tutorial database online.

And writing a Proper level design tutorial offline.

Engines that I have have worked with.
Half-life 1 SDK
Half-life 2 SDK
3D Gamestudio
Genesis gamestudio
TVD gamestudio
3DSTATE
AMP 3D Engine

Any thing else you would like to know please contact me VIA email.

I Never said I'm a pro...But I could show you a thing or two about game development...

PS having a game released on a Indie website doesn't make you a pro either.Having your game released in a retail store with all the other AAA titles and selling 100000 copies makes you a pro...

And no I love a healthly debate.....but the person at least has to know some thing about game development.

Enough I will not have this thread lock because you like to disagree...

@Locrian "a few hundred thousand" So we only have "a few hundred thousand" gamers in the world and all "a few hundred thousand" gamers play Half-life 2.Not the most credible stats if you ask me.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 20:58
Wish I had one of those fancy high end machines y'all are talking about.
It has been my experience on these forums that most of our members are younger and that their parents buy their pcs or they are using their parents' pc.
It also has been my experience that most of our forum members also do not have high end machines.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 21:03
OK, I first I took you for mistaken, but now I think your just trying to prove a point with no clue at all. I can open up Battle net right now and 50,000+ on the bnet servers alone playing DiabloII playing a 5 year old game, and not even counting WOW(cause I dont have it) or Starcraft....Your loosing any credibility as you speak more...I'd just stop. And again....I'm sure Valves research is quite a bit more extensive then anything you've ever tried to do....considering their sellling games and trying to find their target consumers, and your writing a tutorial for a $50 piece of software.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 21:52
@Locrian Child mentality such a boring thing.When you start thinking past your shoe size come speak to me again.Look at Doom 3 Quake 4 Prey NFS Carbon some of the newer titles released this year even last year.What do you think the minimum System requirements are for those games.500MHZ CPU I think not.

Doom 3 system requirements
Quote: "Minimum:
P4 1.5Ghz CPU (or equivalent).
384MB of RAM.
64MB graphics card (see below for chip details).
2GB of free hard drive space.

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX (worse than Geforce 3).
Supported cards:
GF 4 MX.
GF 3.
GF 4.
GF FX (and higher).
Radeon 8500s, 9000s and higher"

Prey System Requirements
Quote: "Minimum

CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz / AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor
RAM: 512MB system RAM
Video Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB video card with latest manufacturer drivers (see supported chipsets below)
Drive: 8X CD-ROM (standard edition), DVD-ROM (Limited Collector’s Edition)
Hard Drive: 2.2GB of uncompressed free hard drive space
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP with latest service pack installed
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)

Recommended

CPU Speed: Intel Pentium 4 2.5Ghz / AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor
RAM: 1GB system RAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon X800 series or higher video card with latest manufacturer drivers
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series sound card
Internet: Broadband internet connection or LAN required for multiplayer

Supported Video Card Chipsets

ATI:
ATI Radeon 9600 series, ATI Radeon 9700 series, ATI Radeon 9800 series, ATI Radeon X300 series, ATI Radeon X550 series, ATI Radeon X600 series, ATI Radeon X700 series, ATI Radeon X800 series, ATI Radeon X1300 series, ATI Radeon X1600 series, ATI Radeon X1800 series, ATI Radeon X1900 series, or better with latest manufacturer drivers. NVIDIA:
NVIDIA GeForce3/Ti series, NVIDIA GeForce4/Ti, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 5900 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series, or better with latest manufacturer drivers. "

Now go and have a look here, there are a few games here that have fairly high system requirements above 1GHZ CPU requirement.Now tell me would you still use vavle stats...???I think not....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best_selling_computer_and_video_games#Top_PC_sellers_by_genre

These games did not care much for the lower end segment of the market...Why should I.

There is this saying those who are left behind stay behind.Well same goes for games if you don't have the system requirements look for some thing you can play.My target isn't the low end market.Simple really.

A tutorial for a 50.00 dollar software.Now your dissing the software your using.Ironic was it all you could afford?

The real reason for doing some thing useful because most of you guys suck at this and you could use the help.Sorry was that harsh.Some times you need the truth.

And please don't get all defensive.I just helped you in the right direction.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 22:05
Quote: "The real reason for doing some thing useful because most of you guys suck at this and you could use the help."

First off all that statement is an assumption on your part...and we all know what happens when we assume something.
Secondly,you don't know jack about whether all of us suck at level design or not.
Quite a few people (myself and Locrian included) aren't releasing the really good stuff we have.
Not just because of that darned contest going on...there are quite a few reasons.
Third...I kind of take that comment personally.
While I may not be a genius as far as level design goes I sure don't suck at it.
And in my opinion Locrian probably knows what he is talking about more than you do.
One way or the other...you have killed your own thread.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 22:05
It's pretty clear by now you're not a real FPSC user at all. I'm a bit offended by your attitude by now.

Quote: "The real reason for doing some thing useful because most of you guys suck at this and you could use the help"

Quote: "I'm not building a game for the forum members more than half the users here is still in school of sorts...Which also shows the lack of exprience in game development...period.Besides FPS creator is a tool for the younger kids...."

This thread should be locked, you offending the whole community and if you're only willing to tell us what to do and in the same breath tell us the tools we use are no good, then my advice is, please leave and don't come back.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 00:30:15
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 00:30:15