Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / AKS-74 weapon model...nearly finished

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

I've been working hard on this new 3D model of the AKS-74 assault rifle (which will feature as one of the available weapons in my upcoming Spetsnaz game), and it's nearly finished, phew!
Please have a look and tell me what you think; I have worked out the model from scratch using reference pics, and the proportions should be spot on, but I will retexture it because this was just for testing purposes. Also, note that the cocking bolt is located on the RIGHT-hand side of the rifle instead of the left (just as in a real AK - although I haven't purchased model pack 5 I had the impression from looking at the pics that the AKM had the cocking bolt wrongly positioned - can someone confirm that?!?). Hopefully if this works out fine I will develop a full range of Russian/Soviet small arms, and maybe release it as a pack, we'll see.
Your comments/suggestions are much appreciated.
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xaque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 12:56
looks cool but yes a retexture could be nice
else is looking good

Sorry im not good to english
Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok we're getting close to the finish!
Here is the latest screenshot, now I just have to do some minor tweaks and it will be ready.
Shadow7 I would definitely appreciate your help for the animations, because I'm still struggling with that. Let's make a deal, you can get the model for free but need to get it animated. I can get it to you in .X or .3DS format if you wish. I've made the cocking bolt so that it can be animated for the reloading sequence. Polycount is now down to 1836 after a few optimizations, so that should be ok for FPSC.
Let's say that I'm a good 3D modeler, fair at texturing (still learning how to do it right with transparencies!), but poor at animating, so any help would be extremely welcome
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 16:05
Please show us a perspective view. And make your pictures a weee bit smaller. Looks very impressive. Much better than what I can do.

Tiggle Bitties

Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

I'm basically finished, here is the screenshot of the finished (and retextured) model.
Are there any volunteers for animating it?
Let me know,

Caleb

Attachments

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 22:25
looks great!

and it isn't a cardboard cut-out, woohoo!

I would be willing to animate it if nobody else wants to, I finally got milkshape working.

Get my Mega Segment Pack for free, be one of the first 5 to post
Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Silent Thunder if you can do it I would very much appreciate and of course you'd get credits for it.
I am actually adding some minor details to it which I felt were necessary since this weapon will show up in the HUD so it should be detailed enough to be on a par with the rest. Final polycount will be 1983 which is well within the FPSC limits.
I should be ready by tomorrow and will get in touch asap.
BTW would it be worth adding bullets for the animation? If that's the case I will work out a 5.45 round and add it to the model.
Cheers,

Caleb
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 02:41
if you can spare some more pollies, go ahead and add more detail.

Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
@Silent Thunder...

Quote: "Get my Mega Segment Pack for free"

How?

@Caleb
Nice work, hope to see it in FPSC as soon as!

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 16:47
Not bad solider. Not bad at all...

"Now handle your emerald sword!"
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 18:22
Quote: "I would be willing to animate it if nobody else wants to, I finally got milkshape working."

Make sure it's 1.7.9.
Version 1.7.10 has some screwed up animation problems.
Please try to keep pics at 800X600 max...for those poor souls that use dial up.
The gun really does look decent.

Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

I've added some more details to it, and here's the final result!
For the textures I tried to use some out of images I found on the web but the resolution was not high enough, so I decided to patiently take detailed pictures of my own (airsoft) AK to get it right.
The following screenies look very good of course but that's because they were rendered with full anti-aliasing on Animator, so expect something a bit more jagged and roughed up for in-game action.
Silent Thunder, since you volunteered for the animations, I'll send you the files and then we can discuss offline to get it finalized.
Hope this one will soon make it into FPSC for the enjoyment of the entire community
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

another screenshot...again, rendered using Animator
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

another screenshot...check out the rear sight block details.
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

final screenshot...check out the fire selector details (modeled as a separate entity), as well as the cocking bolt assembly positioned on the right-hand side of the gun. The magazine has been mapped separately, and I've taken a picture of a real-steel "Circle 10" Bulgarian magazine.
If this works out I will work on all possible AK variations out there
Cheers,

Caleb

Attachments

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Mesh is looking pretty good there. Nice to see a 74 for a change. Any chance we can see a render from the game view angle?

If you're planning on putting together a whole pack, I'd like to strongly encourage you learn to animate and make your creations FPSC ready. ST is a nice guy for offering to help but I kind of doubt he wants to animate a whole pack for you. Relying on others for these basic things is an invitation to dissapointment and robs you of the joy that is seing your creations come to life.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 06:04
@Phlum
Quote: "Get my Mega Segment Pack for free, be one of the first 5 to post"

but it's closed now with only 3 people posting, I guess nobody wants segments.

@Caleb5316
Your gun is looking better and better.

Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick reply to Errant AI:

Quote: "Relying on others for these basic things is an invitation to dissapointment and robs you of the joy that is seing your creations come to life. "

I fully understand your point, however while being good at modeling, I (still have the honesty to admit that - unlike other people -) am still lagging behind in animations, and since I have limited time to devote to FPSC, I've enquired if someone could give a hand at this stage FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE ENTIRE FPSC COMMUNITY.
This is what really baffles me about some of the responses I get in this forum (if I ever get any!)...the arrogance, the indifference, the highly despicable superior attitude of some members who think they know it all and post counterproductive comments that are leading nowhere.
If people on this forum were a bit more collaborative I'm sure FPSC would be further down the road, and the outlook would be brighter.
I've seen some silly posts getting hundreds of one-liner replies, while the more serious ones from truly COMMITTED people getting only a few, sometimes even dismissive ones.
Do we want to bring FPSC to a semi-professional level? While we will never reach the heights of commercial games we can still achieve some pretty amazing results, and that's especially when people join forces and share some knowledge.
I really hope people change their attitude, for the benefit of the entire FPSC community.
Cheers,

Caleb
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Take it however you like, Caleb.

If you think that I am being arrogant, indifferent or despicably superior toward you, then that is your loss. Just know that I am a pragmatist and not an idealist.

I appreciate your optimism but take Smitho's weapon pack for example. He busted his hump making a ton of weapons (for the benefit of the entire community) and he's been dead in the water for quite some time for lack of finding someone to animate and export for him. You'd think with all the interest in that thread, it wouldn't be hard to find someone but that has not been the case.

If you are truly committed, then show it. If you're not a great animator, then fine. Do what you can and then find someone to help you cross the finish line. Three or four months ago, I didn't know anything about animation either. I chose to see that as a challenge and not as a roadblock.

Even without animation, you can still put a HUD weapon into FPSC to see what it will look like and what you need to do in order to have a great looking model. If you can get things to that stage, then I can almost guarantee that you'll have no problems finding people willing to invest some time in assisting you with your work.

However. As it is, you're expecting others to do all the hard work for you while you get to kick back and make models. To me, that is arrogance.
Cut scenes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 15:28
I have to admit at the beginning I did not like it, but now this is an INCREDIBLE model.

"People are easier to search when they're dead."--Captain Barbosa
Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
For Errant AI (-ONLY- since he started this...not me!)

Quote: "However. As it is, you're expecting others to do all the hard work for you while you get to kick back and make models. To me, that is arrogance."

If you think building the model and texturing it was no hard work you're dead wrong. I announced it at the beginning of the post. Hard work it was, especially trying to keep the polycount to a minimum. I think I've posted enough screenshots for you to have an idea about the accuracy of the model and the fact that it is no "cardboard" cutout. If you think model-building is less important than animations then FPSC would be a pretty empty and uninteresting world!
As a final word you're calling me arrogant. I was asking for some help on this forum since I don't have much time at the moment, and properly learning animation might yet take a while. Is that being arrogant? I suggest you re-check the definition in a dictionary...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 20:00
Let's all be nice...

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
I really don't know why your being so thin-skinned.

I never said that modeling and UV mapping was easy or unimportant. My point is that the rest of the work is hard enough for you to avoid. Animation could easily take as long or longer then the modeling process. Add to that all the gunspec tweaking and entity creation and it's not a task that should be easily dismissed. Also, take into account the number of people creating animated assets for FPSC and compare that to the number of people creating non-animated assets. If it wasn't hard work there wouldn't be the vast discrepancy that exists.

I never said that you were arrogant but implied that what you were doing was arrogant. More importantly, how you were going about doing it. You seem to feel that because, in your eyes, this is "FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMMUNITY" that it would be ridiculous for people to not just jump right in and do things for you. If it's really for the good of all, then why not post the mesh for anyone who would like to take a stab at animating it?

The reason I wanted to see a game perspective view was so that I could evaluate the mapping in the spots that matter. Excuse my presumption if in fact you were not seeking comments/suggestions. In the screens you've posted, I see things like texture stretching across the back of the front sight tower which will look terrible in-game if left like that.

You've obviously spent a good amount of time an effort on the model. You've made sure that the details are just as you would like them and so on. I don't think it's a longshot for me to figure you would be just as detail oriented when it comes to the rest of the process. That's the reason I encouraged you (not demanded or anything nasty like that) to take matters into your own hands and bring your creative vision to term.

I wouldn't have said anything in the first place had I not seen real potential in your work.

Mods, go ahead and noob-slap me if you must.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 20:32
LoL,
See mods,this is why if it's not in a game it shouldn't be in models and media.....This guys so new he don't know who Errant is, and acts like his gun is even close to carrying the soiled toilet paper of Errant's worst work.......
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 21:16
First off; it's a good looking model. Having said that, everyone needs to be a little more Jolly, dog-gone it! Keep the "back and forth" to a minimum to keep this one open.

Caleb5316
Years of Service
User Offline
Folks,

I think after reading all this I have the impression my contribution to this Forum is not really needed nor welcome.
I have quickly realized the FPSC "community" doesn't like nor appreciate newcomers like me...I expected a more open approach to be honest.
If that's the way you reward people for posting new things, then it really defeats the whole purpose of having a Forum to share new things and ideas. That was probably my misunderstanding. You guys know better and have your own mindset, so I won't argue any further.
And sorry if I unintentionally offensed some long-standing members like "Errant AI".
Mods, you can close this thread, thanks.

Caleb
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2006 23:30
Quote: "I think after reading all this I have the impression my contribution to this Forum is not really needed nor welcome.
I have quickly realized the FPSC "community" doesn't like nor appreciate newcomers like me..."

I'm sorry if your feelings got hurt...
I guess you are a little...sensitive.
Nobody said you weren't welcome or that they did not aprreciate your contribution.
As a matter of fact one of Errant's posts specifically said that if he didn't think your work was any good he wouldn't have posted to begin with.
Considering what he can do when he models guns I would say that's one heck of a compliment.
I'll give you a chance to change your mind.
It looks like you can do some decent work.
If you think about it for a while and still decide you want the thread locked/deleted let me know and I will do it for you.
It would be a shame.Looks like you have some potential.

Smitho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 13:08
I think you are being way to over sensitive... The whole point of people giving pointers is to help you get better. Errant has offered me many pointers throughout my development, which I have not ignored... Ive got myself tutorials sorted out with, made attempts, but to no avail. I personally appreciate constructive critisism - That's all it is.. He's not trying to give you "Guff" ...
It's christmas/The holidays - It's no time to be fighting
Some people have some new resolutions to make...

Dan

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 15:30
That's it; everybody here's fired, until after Christmas.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2006 15:58
Thanks,Keith.
I'll be back to mod again after the holidays.
Best present I have had in a long time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 00:47:24
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 00:47:24