Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Program versions?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any process to the naming of updated programs? For example, when DarkBasic was updated, why did they call it version 1.13? Why didn't they just call it version 2.0?
Chess isn't just for old, wise men! (really!)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 02:45
because it was patch 13 for release candidate 1
hence 1.13
darkbasic professional is release candidate 1, patch 4, revision 0 so 1.04.0

i'm not sure what other people use for thier programs (as we all do it differently) however the way i label my programs has changed slightly over the years but still essentially the same

major.minor.revision.release.build

so 1.00.r0.beta.0051 would be
release candidate - 1
version/patch - 00
revision of patch - 0
release state - beta
build - 51

now the release candidate/major version is a pretty simple to what it is, basically it is the major official/public release of the program. So if the program is in a working state, and is effectively complete and ready for the market to try (perhaps not for retail purposes yet though)

version/patch/minor is basically the number of patchs released to fixx major bugs or add something ...

revision is a minor fixx, something pretty trivial which was just overlooked or something - but doesn't add anything that'll always be a pure bug fixx only.

release state, this is the weird part
i have 4 steps of release candidates ->
alpha, beta, final, retail
Alpha is a prototype, which means that from one alpha version to another it could be a totally different engine ... probably won't be, but could be.
Beta this is a pre-release, which means that we know the program has bugs but this is the engine we're sticking with. So we'll release it and find out just how many bugs are life threatening and fixx as many as we can prior to release.
Final the gold edition ready for the public market, but not the official release ... it can oftenly be the same but sometimes we find some last minute bugs to work out and such.
Retail the public/official release, this is what everyone will buy/download as it is released for everyone

the build is just really how many times we've compiled the EXE being used (not to be confused with how many times we've compiled the patch) ... and they are version specific - so 0.10.r0.alpha.0120 if from that we went beta, it'd become 1.00.r0.beta.0000
it's probably interesting to notice that only the alpha isn't a release candidate but thats because it shouldn't really leave the development studio.

hope that helps - but probably just confuses the situation more

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 06:59
thank you raven, i don't like typing that much so idin't wanna explain it lol.

I always win don't you know that?
Programming RPG games in Dark Basic
Since 1999.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 07:05
O_O IM LAZY!

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 07:35
lol... i don't think many others around here actually uses a version system which makes much sense - some of the better older users do, but generally most just pick a number at random it seems like and thats the version we see (or just don't bother)

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 21:24:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 21:24:35