Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / World questions for DBC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 01:35
okay so i did a bit of searching and i was still wondering, how would you create a world. Now i understand you can use editors and stuff but is that the only way. Say i wanted to make a house. And instead of using a map/world/whatever editor i just made boxes. It seems hard to have to place objects when you can't see where they are going. For instance i made the house, then i make another, then i make another and then a well. It would be hard to place those when you have 100's of houses. Also for maps, so i have some houses and terrains and i want a new level, would i have to delete all of that and reload new stuff? I know these are broad questions and probaly hard to understand so ask if you can't understand what i'm trying to say so you can answer.

some mornings, it just doesn't pay to gnaw through those leather straps
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2006 02:07 Edited at: 18th Dec 2006 02:10
You use a modelling package, that lets you create and dynamically edit the verticy and face data of a model to create a model of whatever you want, be it a house, a person, a gun, whatever. Do a google search for Wings 3D, as its a good free modeller. If you become pretty good with Wings, you might want to move onto a student version of 3DS Max. Then again if your only intention is modelling worlds and levels, you might want to look into Cartography Shop, a professional world editor.

DBP Primitive objects are usually only meant to be used as placeholders, until you create your external 3D media with modelling applications and import the media using the DBP Loading commands.

Modelling applications and World Editors are 2 completely different things. As I just said, modelling apps let you actually create the media for your world, like a factory building, a museum building, a pot for a plant, whatever you can think of.

World Editors let you load in all of your 3D media and move them around, and then export the entire world as a single mesh. You can, fcourse, do this in the modelling app as well. The main reason people use World Editors for placing down their models is because they can program their own world editor to allow them to add things like spawn points, particle emitters, lights, etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 13:30:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 13:30:38