Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / How to import levels in FPS creator.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2006 10:11
This is a fairly complicated process. So I won’t be posting any screenshots YET. But this does require some intermediate experience and a whole lot of patience and time.

Some background info on how every thing was started.

Well I had a look at the default segments and add on segments and got tired of looking at the same old segments. So I started thinking that segments were modelled in a 3D editor just like any other model used in FPS creator. So why not build a part of a level or a full level in a 3D modelling program. Well it took too long, collision detection and texturing was a major problem.

The only other alterative was using a 3D level editor .This worked much better but had some of it’s own problems like having to export and import the level to a few formats to get it to the correct format. Also the more complex the level was the more time it took to texture the level.

So with a lot of trial and error I came up with the shortest route of how to import complete levels into FPS creator. Please note the following:

1. I do not take any responsibility for any thing and every thing.

2. If you have any problems your welcome to post your problems here.

3.Any other software used , 3D level editors or modelling programs ect… that is not used in this tutorial might work or not.

4.If any other users can help with unsupported software please do so.

Well down to the tutorial then.

This will require a lot of patience like I said before. Before you start building your levels first test one or two small rooms and see if it imports and the textures works correctly.

The biggest problems with importing your own levels into FPS creator is than your level needs to be correctly scaled. This might be different from software to software apps. If you can, try and only use software from this tutorial.

Software required for this tutorial.
3Dmax any version above 6
3D Milkshape any version above 1.6
FPS segment creator.
Half-life 1 Hammer editor.

Load Half-life 1 hammer editor start building your level. Some tips.
Don’t build extremely large levels or complex levels with lots of primitives.
Keep within 1 to 2 inches for walls ceilings and floors
Keep room height and length within 10 to 15 inches.
Remember to take FPS creator content into account when building your level.
Some thing are better to model separately like pillars or any objects than are thicker than the default walls in other words large than 2 inches.

Save your level. Reload your level and export the level to DXF format. Milk shape does have some problems importing the DXF level directly. So it needs to be imported into 3D max first and exported to 3DS format before importing it into milk shape.(I haven’t to date found a quicker way.)

When importing into 3Dmax do a default import do not edit any settings on the import menu. From 3Dmax export to 3DS.

Once in milkshape, import the 3DS level once again do a default import. You will see the level is lying on it’s “side” in the 3d edit window it needs to be rotated. Import your textures and apply that to your level. You need to export the whole “skin”.The textures will 80% of the time not display correctly. So it’s needs to be rotated within the editor. Also this is a good time to make tweaks to your level if your not happy.

Export to X format use scaling 0.224 test the level if it’s still to big or too small export the level with different scaling till the desired size is acquired.

If I left out any thing I’ll fix it ASAP.
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 11:00
Good tutorial, but I think most people will stick with the default level editor

Jourdan
Years of Service
User Offline
nice tut.. but i like to know how to import from 3dmax to fpsc ready?
i already create a full map made using 3dmax..
did i need to convert it to *.x format and load-it as a entity?

Nothing is Impossible..
Really!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 15:59
Quote: "nice tut.. but i like to know how to import from 3dmax to fpsc ready?
did i need to convert it to *.x format and load-it as a entity?"

You should try searching autodesks support forums. This is not a forum for thier software.

Regards,
RF

Reality Forgotten Dev Forums
In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 01:09
Quote: "nice tut.. but i like to know how to import from 3dmax to fpsc ready?

No it's not possible to have a 3dmax direct FPSC level it first needs to processed by a third party tool like FPSC segment creator
to tell FPSC what to do with the level....

Quote: "i already create a full map made using 3dmax..
No you have to load it as a segment.If you can export it directly to X make sure you scaling is done correctly...

Quote: "Good tutorial, but I think most people will stick with the default level editor"
That will most likely be the case..But I'm hoping that guys see this as the next step in their development.
ridh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 00:44
Sounds really cool
But(sorry for the stupid question) isnt the texture size in FPSC limited to 512*512? -> or is this only for entitys?

I just thought better ask before having a lot of work and in the end the textures are gonna look horrible^^

RidH
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 07:27
Quote: "Sounds really cool
But(sorry for the stupid question) isnt the texture size in FPSC limited to 512*512? -> or is this only for entitys?

I just thought better ask before having a lot of work and in the end the textures are gonna look horrible^^"

Yip it is.But you can use any texture size when your mapping the textures in milkshape and resize the skin to 512x512...
ridh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 13:41
thx I didn't know that... (you alwyas learn nev stuff, thats what keeps it interesting)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 02:45:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 02:45:04