Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Custom Biped/New character

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 15:14
Ok, I spent a bit of time with some tutorials and maya today, and learned how to export boned meshes to .x

This has meant I can finally get started on a totally custom Biped for FPSC. I'm going to include a "gun melee" animation, where the enemy hits the player with the butt of the gun, and include a much larger selection of death animations.

Other additions are a crouched run, instead of a weird wiggle, for when the enemy crouch-strafes, and a more hunched "in the middle of action" run and walk cycle, with makes the enemies look a bit more I dunno, real?!

Finally, I've been playing around with the new RC, as it supports dual firespots on weapons, therefore am Hoping I maybe able to get enemies with dual weild.. even if It's not possible yet, I'm animating a set of poses for dual wield, and adding an extra firespot, so that when support becomes available, the biped will be fully compatible.

this is going to be my first FPSC product. The pack will ship with 4 variations of the character model rigged with the biped, and the biped itself (in a variety of formats) separately. Also included will be a bunch of new AI scripts to support the new melee attacks and so on.
I've just had an idea that I could build in a few other animations for NPC and allies, such as talking or pointing...who knows.

The texture on the model is quite rough, but I'd really appreciate it if I could get feedback on any of it. I'm rendering a video at the moment, but it's already 600frames long, and It's taking a while to render...estimated size (.avi) 1.3GB...LOL

(ps, sorry about the size, may want to download and view elsewhere!)

bob momento
Years of Service
User Offline
butters, for the dual muzzle flash just make a normal muzzlefash hud but with 2 fire spots, if i have some free time i'll try making you one. Also that model looks cool, nice work.
-Bobmomento

"Sharp like blades"
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 15:55
This will be a great product when you are finished with it.

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 16:43
I love how he holds the guns, that won me over with this model

You'll Know When You See It.

Death has no end
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 19:00
If I see this guy at the bank I know not to go in.
How you keep coming up with this stuff is beyond me.
I like how he holds the guns too.
I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 17:02
[Shameless bump]*

Just noticed that in the bottom left of the dual weild pics, the right hand gun is halfway through the guys arm... dang!

Things are coming along, I now have walk,run,static,crouch and strafe cycles for : pistols, smgs, rifles and dual. working on melee at the moment, have a pistol whip for the pistols, a face smash thing for the SMGs and a sort of swipe with the rifle, they might be a case of trial and error.. I'm using blender to test it out, attaching weapons to the firespot via pearlscripts, it's pretty hit and miss, sometimes it looks ok, sometimes the guy has the gun halfway through his face as he strikes.

Any input would be appreciated guys. This is going to be available to all, so if there's anything you Wish you could have on a biped, I'd be willing to discuss it here. I would ask, NO zombie suggestions. there are already numerous zombie bipeds available in MP4.

peas.
butters

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 17:21
Hmm...custom biped...how bout pushing a button, and leaning left/right? They took those out of FPSC V1 (they were in the EA). This looks good, if you can finish it in time, I may use the animation set in my DBP Competition entry (which is now taking on a Battlefeild style gameplay).

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you make limp, like a zombie? Umm, wait, nevermind...

Looks good so far, you use Maya, right?

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 12:40 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 12:41
Quote: "how bout pushing a button, and leaning left/right?"

I'm already building in some ally style motions. I hadn't considered a leaning anim. I've already made an addition to the crouched animation, where the enemy blindfires (gun above head), to shoot over boxes.

Building in a lean would involve creating entity markers so the AI could find corners to shoot around. I'll build it in. Who knows, if darkAI gets implemented in V20, it'll only be a help!
Quote: "
Looks good so far, you use Maya, right?
"

Yeah, I'm modelling it in maya6.5. I'm testing the animations in Blender's game engine, as it's quicker than having to create a new character in FPSC everytime I want to test something.

(mods if there's a problem with me mentioning blender, please don't lock this thread, let me know and I'll edit it out.)

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 11:34
Butters, this is sure to be something great again!

I have a question though : Does having a lot of animations in a model in any way matter to the framerates?

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 18:49
I think I can answer your question filya - when DarkFact and me were discussing speeding up the AI in his game, he said by stripping out alot of the animations he was able to put a whole bunch in one room with out hindering the framerate much.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 22:46
thanks for the info airslide. I thought so too.

Butters, I think you should confirm this once too. Wouldn't want you wasting so much time on making all these animations only to find out it hits the framerates hard.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 01:49
Already on it dude.
In my opinion, as each character has to have an FPE written for each weapon (to get different muzzleflashes), I have tailored each animation set to a weapon. So there is a pitols biped, an SMGs biped and so on. It cuts out about 2mb even with the new additions!

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 02:11
stupid me to think Butters didn't think of it

thats a nice idea Butters! Only thing is, then you shall have to really decide before hand which characters of yours will weild what weapons.

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 15:35
why dont you make an animation where the enemy points at you and plays a sound, and alerts the guards?

i know you can do it, you can do anything ^_^

Lewis From OsborneCreations.co.uk
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 19:45
Butters, the only problem I see is that the way FPSC uses diffrent animations for diffrent types of weapons. Are they defined in the FPE? Or does the FPE have just the basic animations and FPSC looks for seperate ones automaticly (as the manual's animation set seems to suggest)?

Father Tree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 19:50
looks great butters, cant wait to see what devilish concuption you come up woth next

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good butters be nice to see the results on this one

Best s4

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
Shaka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 00:20 Edited at: 1st Jan 2007 01:25
Hey butter fingers, what product do u use to make those models? I really look at u as my hero on the forums because you make some unbelivable models. So whats your secret man? you [mod edit] rock!

Mod note:swearing can and will get you slapped or banned.

Kill Count Prodiction Games
Phlum
Years of Service
User Offline
Shaka,
Quote: "Yeah, I'm modelling it in maya6.5."

What's the point of having a thread if you're not going to read it.

Butters,
this is the coolest enemy model I've seen, well done on that!

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 05:26:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 05:26:10