Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Guardian FPS WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everybody,

I have been working on some ideas for a different approach to FPS gaming, and after a few weeks of coming up with some ideas for the story and features, I began programming. Right now, I have only programmed a basic object oriented structure into the engine and created a small test demo with just player movement (arrow keys right now, but I will replace that with the WASD standard) and gun swaying. I used some of the example code from the CodeBase, but I have rearranged it and I am going to work on a basic interface next. Then I will use some of the Inca code (leadwerks.com) to load 3DWS maps and my custom entities. I have plans on creating a Real-Time lighting system, custom programmed, after the other entities are programmed into the system.

Here is my gameplan so far:

0.01: Basic Player movement
0.02: Re-arranged program structure (object-oriented)
0.03: Player Interface, HUD, shooting, reloading
0.04: Load 3DWS Map, Load Player Entity from Map
0.05: Enemy w/out AI, die function, ammo entity, health entity
0.1: Full Player functions, gun model, basic physics
0.2: First Demo, animations, effects

I am going to upload the screenshot of what I have so far in a few minutes. For now, here is the basic storyline:

In 2617 upon the breach of civil war in the New Boston Experimental Base of Operations, you, Lieutenant James Harrison (X-31/5), have been recalled by the Admiral of the station to investigate a supposed rebel attack on the Empire's genetic system within the heart of the base. However, a force of mutant warriors invade the station from inside while you search for any signs of rebel communications. Here is where the action starts...

Early on in the progression of the game, you find that certain objects allow you to flashback and flashforward in the game to events in the same or distant locations. At first they seem unrelated or insignificant, until it is discovered that they are real and these different times effect one another. Throughout the first half of the game, there is a main focus on reaching the admiral for new orders, and then escaping New Boston. During the second half of the game, you play in what seems to be Harrison's "dream," and later wake up to be encountered with a hostage situation, with you as the hostage. As of this point, it is now a race to find out what your "dream" meant and destroy the rebel prison carrier. With this all in your hands, the last segment of the game shocks you with a new enemy in play, one that changes the fate of the next game for ever...

I am still working on the story, and the screen will be up in a second...
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the link to the screenshot:

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0021bh1.png

It isn't much, but I have only been programming for about 45 minutes.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
err...

1. dont use a matrix
2. what is it?

A game- nvidia cancelled but preserved till ive finished the current

Game progress- 25 percent
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 00:19
took you 45 minutes for a cube and a matrix?

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 00:54 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 00:55
Did you use my code, because it looks very similar to the one I made for the gun swaying. If you did, good! It's always good to see people make progress so fast

Dared, don't be so cynical, when I first picked up programming I didn't know what a matrix even was, let alone knowing it was slower than most things. Besides, they're not as bad as they're made out to be, let us not for get the famous Dumbo and Cool. It used a matrix

[edit]
Quote: "0.02: Re-arranged program structure (object-oriented)"

Sorry, you don't get object oriented code in DB(P). Maybe you mean you were using functions?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 01:48
In 45 minutes? Terrific! In 45 minutes I had a text adventure which asked you if you wanted to go north, south, east or west and depending on your choice showed an image, 3d object that you could move, random positioned text or quit. Random.

My first 3D program seems a lot harder - RPG. It's a project on the WIP's here too. Hope you'll progress quickly

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 15:58 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 16:00
Well, I have been working on other things in the engine that aren't displayed, and I can't upload the file to the site to show you. And some of the things are just for things that have yet to be implemented. I'm sticking to the basics for now.

The matrix is just there to show some form of ground. It is not staying in the game, it was just for my quick test that I made. By object oriented, I mean imitated object oriented with functions and splitting the structure of the system into different, organized files. I'll try to give you another screenshot today that will have more in it.

[EDIT] Besides, people get all mad when a WIP is posted without a screenshot.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
sry..... HAVE A MACHINEGUN (Attached)

A game- nvidia cancelled but preserved till ive finished the current

Game progress- 25 percent

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 18:25
.....i got way farther than that in 45 minutes when i used to program.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 18:32
AZP, this thread isn't about you ¬.¬'

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 18:32
You could of at least put a texture on that matrix, used one of the many gun models available and put a skysphere.

http://teammegabasic.proboards59.com
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
As I said, that is not all that I programmed already. I have been working on modifying the Inca Engine so I can load the test map I am making into DBP with my custom entities. Right now that screenshot shows basically nothing. So please do not keep commenting on how much you could get done in this time or that time or whatever. Thank you for the machine gun, I'll download it in a bit.

I am going to post a screenshot of the test map here in one second. It is just a test map so I can test the basic player features, and it is not implemented in the game just yet. Is there a problem with leadwerks.com, because I cant seem to download anything from there without it stopping early in the download.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 20:08
Sounds good. Did you use my gun swaying code snippet btw?

Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 22:02
lol zotoaster i remember your code i used it on many occasions it is pretty good so advancement games i would take zoto's advice haha.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure if I used your code, but I know it was from the codebase. Right now I am trying to download Inca to use the engine for my game. However, I am having some downloading problems.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2006 23:44
Zotoast, I could swear I recognised the screenshot, I grabbed your code, it was cool.

Good luck with this game, I like seeing more and more new users starting out creative, normally I'd recommend a smaller project for starters...buuuut I don't want to make myself a hypocrite (Remembering Ronin was my first project, that never got off that ground, so really my current game will be my first )

Just make sure you're realistic about what you're doing, as long as you learn what you need, all is good. The good thing about making a FPS you should be able to gun media all over the place, as Alpha Zero Productions is such a gun making expert as well as programming Sorry AZP, but it annoys me when people say something in attempt to make themselves look better than the other person, modesty goes a long way.

Good luck with this AG.

"Listen to Jah Music..." - Bob Marley
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 01:30
Why is everyone competing over who did more on their first attempt at programming?

Get over yourselves, you're the only one that cares.

Goodwork Advancement Games, its always good to start out with an engine rather than just plopping in enemies and getting together a quick battle system.

- RUC'

Micophone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 14:32
This might sound weird, but I had a dream about this game. And it looked amazing.

Every 45 mins is a step forward. Keep it up!

Fulfill my dreams...
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments so far. I am having a few problems recompiling the IncaPro Code. I added a bit of code to the original engine, but I tried compiling, and I received an error with the original code. Then I tried to recompile the original code without what I added, and I still came up with errors. I am using DarkBasic Pro 6.3, so I am not sure if anything was changed. The error is:

"Subscript must be Integer or DWORD when referencing an array at line 21."

The code at that line is:

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Anyways, I have started to implement some of the basic player functions. I have a text HUD set up with the basic physics included in IncaPro. I think that it uses a trial version of NuclearGlory, however, so I will probably have to change over to Newton. That shouldn't be too hard, but if there is already an IncaPro engine version out there that uses Newton, it would be nice if somebody could direct me to it so I do not have to re-invent the wheel.

Back to the point, I am going to add health and ammo entities in a short time, right after I solve this problem with Inca. Then I will add in enemies, checkpoints, and some basic physics functions. I am hoping to give you guys a demo sometime around the beginning to middle of spring.

Hope somebody can answer my question...AG
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anybody have an answer to my question yet?
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2007 00:40 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2007 00:40
I don't know what "replace" is, but if it's supposed to be a function then it shouldn't have the $ on the end. DBPro thinks it is an array of strings if you put something like Name$(arg,arg) together.

If it is an array, then your subscripts are wrong.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, I'll play around with it a bit, but that is how the original code came from leadwerks.com. Thanks for the information.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:34:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:34:51