Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Operation Eagle **early screens**

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 01:08 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 16:31
Hello everyone,

I've been working on a project for a bit now which I feel I have to a point which may be interesting to some people. I'm making a RTS game where you can create your own units by choosing a base unit then adding weapons to it.

This first screen shows a tank that I created. You can see the 2 additional attachment points in that screen where I could add additional weapons. The second shows a bunch of units that I made in game. I've also included a video showing the unit creation tool where I'm creating a truck with a crane.

http://howzer00.bravehost.com/NewUnit.jpg
http://howzer00.bravehost.com/customunits.jpg

http://howzer00.bravehost.com/createunit.wmv

I still have a ways to go, but I have made it over some major hurdles getting the creation system in place. Please let me know what you think (I know my modelling skills are awful)
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 01:21
Sorry, screenies don't work.

Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 01:24
This is the pic that shows the custom units

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 01:24
Here is the one that shows the creation screen

Attachments

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 01:44
They seem to do for me. Looks cool! Will unit creation serve any gameplay purpose or is it just a graphical gimmick? Idea sounds nice, a bit like Spore or similar games.

tha_rami - the best way to predict the future is to invent it
Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 07:10
Quote: "tha_rami
They seem to do for me. Looks cool! Will unit creation serve any gameplay purpose or is it just a graphical gimmick? Idea sounds nice, a bit like Spore or similar games."

Unit creation will definately have an effect on gameplay. Each weapon has its own statistics. Weapons have weights, clip sizes, max. damage, splash damage, accuracy, ranges, costs and more associated with them while the units have weights, max. engine sizes, armour, hit points, gas tank sizes, ammo reserves and more.

I also plan to add engines in as well which will influence the units top speed, gas consumption and acceleration.

I don't plan on having resources in the traditional sense. I plan on having factories which produce your individual weapons or base units. Each has it's own time to produce based on it's "cost". The higher the cost, the longer the time to produce it. In order to build a unit, you will have to have all components available in stock to do this.
Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 07:14
Here is another screen showing some of the weapon statistics in the game.

Attachments

Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2006 17:28
Another quick video showing some unit creation and building.

Preview
Death312
Years of Service
User Offline
looks pretty sweet dude
u should think about adding some kinda leveling system to the veichles u make and stuff.
Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2006 20:41
Quote: "looks pretty sweet dude
u should think about adding some kinda leveling system to the veichles u make and stuff. "

Thanks, and that's a good idea. Something of a veterancy for units.

I was also thinking of having to have one person required to drive each vehicle. This will make people the true valuable pieces to the game. I might include money that gets increased a certain rate which can be used to buy new buildings, recruit new people or research new weapons. If your people die, your vehicles are useless.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?
ConorH
Years of Service
User Offline
Kind of the same feature was in CnC Generals, when a certain unit killed the guys inside ur tanks, andybody could pop a soldier in and it would become theirs.

So yeah, its good, but be careful to balance the ratio between availability of drivers and vehicles

its my new rat tail dog!
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2007 20:00
Nice. It reminds me Earth 12XX gmaer unit creation.

"Now handle your emerald sword!"
Striker
Years of Service
User Offline
Earth 12XX?

That reminds me more of Warzone 2100.

Howzer, I'm interested in making an RTS as well, but I lack the programming skills. However, I can do some good 3D modeling. If you're interested in getting my help, feel free to email me or message me on MSN at StrikerShot21(a)Hotmail(.)com
Striker
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, this game looks great! The unit building reminds me of Warzone 2100. If you'd like me to help you with 3D modeling, just email/message me at StrikerShot21(a)Hotmail.com
Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 20:23
I've never played Warzone before, but it sounds interesting. Striker, I have sent you an email as I just noticed that you responded to my post.
Striker
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I must have deleted your email. If you can, either send it again or contact me on MSN

MSN = my email
Howzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 02:51
I've sent you another

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:30:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:30:11