Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Will dbp only draw whats visable?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 22:16
Heyas ^^ My little dbp project is really begining to pick up the pace now with the core of the engine basically finished. I can now start thinking about writing an actual map editor for creating proper arenas instead of my hardcoded little test mappy thing and I can also think about modeling varying types of tanks instead of just the one... I opened milkshape and was about to get down to making some nice geomatry for my maps and then had to stop to think.

I dont want my game to be *too* demanding on the lower spec pc's (say, 500's) if I can manage it and I wasnt sure about what sort of polycount to aim for. I know that changes depending on *what* your modeling (like 120 polygons would be a high polygon cube but a low poly tree).. but i really dont have much of a clue. The first thing that came to mind was "Does darkbasicpro only process what can be seen by the camera?" - if so then I can get away with a fair bit more. Ie, if I modeled a full on mansion with like 7000 polys (i have no wish to do this XD) and then made a low poly wall (say, 200) and placed it infront of it, obstructing the camera, would it be like viewing 200 polygons or 7200? Will the mansion slow everything down despite the fact you cant see it? infact, forget the wall for now. Say i had my 7000 poly mansion. Its split up, with rooms, walls, stairs, roof, ect ect. If i was outside of it and looking directly at it so i could only see the front of it, would it be like viewing the whole 7000 poly model, or only what particular polygons of that model are in view?

I ask this so I can try to judge how complex to make my models. I want them to look good... but I dont want to force people to buy a nasa spec pc to play my game I already thought of low and high definition models packs which the user can select depending on their pc requirment.. but thats a future thought anyway.

Any guidelines anyone would like to suggest for me to keep in mind whilst designing my objects? Currently, my first tank is just under 500 polys (thats pretty low right?), and things like the objects used in flashy effects are around 100 polys.

Incidently, just incase its needed information - its an arcade tank game (get a tank, shoot people with it). Maxium of 16 players so you can have upto 16 tanks on screen at any point + bullets/shells/powerups and terrain. (also, the literal terrain, ie the floor, is simply a flat matrix)

Righty, hope you can set me streight ^^ Thanks in advance!
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 00:56
I get 25 with 24,000 polys and 17 (kinda hopeless) with 51,000 polys

(Athlon 1700/Geforce 2mx 400 64 mb / ram 256 mb / DX8.1 / win 98 SE)
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 01:33
DarkBASIC Pro only draws objects that are showing in full or part on the screen.

Ie.

OBJECT, WITH NO POLYS VISIBLE ON SCREEN (Either if they are off-screen limits and maybe if they are obscured by other polygons?)
>> Object not drawn

OBJECT, WITH ONE POLY VISIBLE ON SCREEN
>> Whole object drawn

OBJECT, WITH ALL POLYS VISIBLE ON SCREEN
>> Whole object drawn

"Any guidelines anyone would like to suggest for me to keep in mind whilst designing my objects? Currently, my first tank is just under 500 polys (thats pretty low right?), and things like the objects used in flashy effects are around 100 polys."

That is fine, normally I would say 1000-1500 polys for your tank and 500 or so for enemy tanks.

Current Project: Retro Compo. Entry.
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 01:52
OBJECT, WITH ONE POLY VISIBLE ON SCREEN
>> Whole object drawn

doh, oh well, I suppose i can live with that. I guess the lesson here is big (static) objects are probably best made out of smaller parts. What about limbs? do they count as part of the object? ie, if i attached a limb, and it was off screen but the object it was attached too was on screen, would it still be technically drawn?

"That is fine, normally I would say 1000-1500 polys for your tank and 500 or so for enemy tanks."

Good plan. Only problem being that this is a very multiplayer orientated game, so net support in the future is seeming VERY likely (that was the whole idea from the start anyway) - and im guessing thats a very good reason to keep an extra eye on that poly count ^^

Thanks for your responses guys ^_^

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 05:22
"OBJECT, WITH NO POLYS VISIBLE ON SCREEN (Either if they are off-screen limits and maybe if they are obscured by other polygons?)"

Object has to be outside both the camera range AND the far clipping plane to be not considered for drawing. The clipping plane is a few units behind the camera range.

"OBJECT, WITH ONE POLY VISIBLE ON SCREEN"

Polys within the clipping range are drawn. You will see half an object if only half of it is within range, the rest is ignored and not rendered. Simple test - make a box 3000 units long and set the camera range to 2000 units - you'll only see 2000 units of the box, the rest will be clipped.

"OBJECT, WITH ALL POLYS VISIBLE ON SCREEN"

Will of course be drawn

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 07:36:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 07:36:52