Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How are plugins made?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 05:29
Just out of curosity hows a plugin made for db pro such as tempest?
In C++, Visual Basic, DarkBasic Professional or something else?
And i know FPSC was made in darkbasic professional but what was Darkbasic Professional made in ? C++ ? Im just curious i would want to know.

" INSERT SIGNATURE HERE "
HOW DO YOU INSERT A SIGNATURE IS IT A LINK TO A WEBSITE IMAGE OR SOMETHING ?
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 05:33
DBPro was made in C++, and plugins are made in C++ (But I think they can be made in some other things)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 07:42
Quote: "How are plugins made?"

Through the blood, sweat, and tears of baby cave fairies.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 13:53 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 13:56
Theres TPC (Third Party Command / Plugins) info in the help files if iirc. But yes, normally a plugin is written in c++ and used natively in dbp. Myself and others found ways to write them in .NET (VB.NET, C#) and theres even ways in VB6, which I also experimented with. Here's some brief info for non-c++ coders:

For .NET Plugins (2 methods)
-write as normal dll project, wrap in c++ to expose to .net (This is the method my DBP_NETLIB plugin used, wrapped in c++ by Exeat (Dave)
-write as normal dll project with Shared scoping everywhere, use ZKAT8IT's awesome converter tool which automatically builds a string table and recompiles the dll for drop-in use with dbp (All of my other plugins use this method )

For VB6
-get a program called VBAdvance (basically a converter) to convert the ActiveX/COM dll to an exposed dll. I think you can then also make it a plugin but I never tried that, I did a simple dll-only test, dll was callable from DBP

If you scour the DLL Forum theres a bit more technical info provided by myself and many others regarding various techniques for non-c++ plugins

all of my available stuff (plugins/apps/utils) for dbp can be found on my [href]dbp page[/href]

White knight
Years of Service
User Offline
well if you want to make some dll to use with your app you could use styx it loads dll files made in vb.But c++ is used to make native plugins that enhece the editor though you can make a wrapper also to make vb dlls native though c++ dlls.
what ever way you want to or what is easyest for you.

abcd

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:21:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:21:40