Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Needs for Gamemaking

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 03:07 Edited at: 8th Jan 2007 13:43
Ok i'm new here ( < noob ) and I want to know what programs I need for making a nice 3d multiplayer FPS game.

Things I have:
DarkBASIC Professional

Please no posts about that i'm a noob etc.

ChEcK My FoRuM: ItS WhOlE In DuTcH BuT We AcCePt EnGlIsH UsErS: HtTp://WwW.M--s--S.Tk
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 04:37
Welcome ,
For 3D you'll need a 3D modeller to build worlds and objects. I hear milkshape is good for more organic things, and 3D World Studio is good for world building. Besides that you can probably find sounds, music, and textures from the internet, just make sure they are royalty free. Then I think your set, good luck .

By the way, noobs are treated well here as long as you don't act like an idiot (which you didn't )

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Jovannr1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 14:43
Quote: "Welcome ,
For 3D you'll need a 3D modeller to build worlds and objects. I hear milkshape is good for more organic things, and 3D World Studio is good for world building. Besides that you can probably find sounds, music, and textures from the internet, just make sure they are royalty free. Then I think your set, good luck .

By the way, noobs are treated well here as long as you don't act like an idiot (which you didn't )"

Ok thanks for the post.

Just a sec ago a friend of mine told me that the best software for making worlds/characters/objects are Milkshape, Unreal engine 3(4) and Gamespace

I'm kinda confused now. Wanna buy them all but don't have enough money so can some1 tell me what the preferable software is
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 18:16
you may want to check out blender for your 3d modelling and if you try hard enough you can also make your worlds with it. Plus its totally free to download my only problem with it is it can look very daunting to start with as the bottom console is filled with quite a few buttons but it doesn't take long to find your way around.

At the top of the Darkbasic classic(I think) board there is a sticky with a list of software to help you out.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 23:50
Quote: "I'm kinda confused now. Wanna buy them all but don't have enough money so can some1 tell me what the preferable software is "

It really depends on how much money you want to spend . Milkshape isn't the perfect modeller, but is only $20 I think, and is supposed to be very much worth it. Don't know about Unreal Engine, and as for Gamespace, it's supposed to be good from what I've heard, but are you really willing to pay $250 for it .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2007 23:50
This ofcourse differs with everyone, people like different things and have different styles, but just for another opinion, this is my current gaming library:

Wings 3D Modeller (free)
The Gimp Texturer/2D Art (free)
Adobe Photoshop Texturer/2D Art($$$)
Soft Image XSI Modeller/Animator ($$$)
Dark Basic Pro
Code Surge IDE for DBP (Free)

The ones that cost money arent required, but help with the developement process. If you're not interested in spending money, do a search for each of the free programs I mentioned and you'll be on your way to a good steady library, atleast in my opinion. The only thing missing is an animation program thats free, I use Soft Image XSI, but I believe Anim8or is free, Im not positive though.

Also check out Milkshape 3D, its not free but is really cheap, IIRC its around 20 dollars.

Programmer of Power
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2007 03:14
Truespace 3.2 is free, I think it's made by the same people as gameSpace. It's a little outdated, but it still works, I use it .

Um, as for some adivice, are you planning on making the multiplayer FPS as your first project? While I applaud your initiative and drive to do this, I caution you to start a little smaller. When I first got DBPro, I wanted to make the next great RPG, or the next Quake, or whatnot, but I quickly learned that I had no idea what I was doing. That's just my experience, you may become frusterated with what you're doing if you can't figure it out.

However, I urge you to try at what you want and we'll be here to support you, and if you need anything in particular just e-mail me and I'll see what I can do.

"I will work harder... if you ask me enough times... or give me enough coffee"
Jovannr1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2007 21:41
Quote: "Truespace 3.2 is free, I think it's made by the same people as gameSpace. It's a little outdated, but it still works, I use it .

Um, as for some adivice, are you planning on making the multiplayer FPS as your first project? While I applaud your initiative and drive to do this, I caution you to start a little smaller. When I first got DBPro, I wanted to make the next great RPG, or the next Quake, or whatnot, but I quickly learned that I had no idea what I was doing. That's just my experience, you may become frusterated with what you're doing if you can't figure it out.

However, I urge you to try at what you want and we'll be here to support you, and if you need anything in particular just e-mail me and I'll see what I can do."

Yeah I was panning to start with the easy things. Its just that I want to have all the software allready
Jovannr1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 16:00
Quote: "his ofcourse differs with everyone, people like different things and have different styles, but just for another opinion, this is my current gaming library:

The Gimp Texturer/2D Art (free)
Adobe Photoshop Texturer/2D Art($$$)
Soft Image XSI Modeller/Animator ($$$)
Dark Basic Pro
Code Surge IDE for DBP (Free)

The ones that cost money arent required, but help with the developement process. If you're not interested in spending money, do a search for each of the free programs I mentioned and you'll be on your way to a good steady library, atleast in my opinion. The only thing missing is an animation program thats free, I use Soft Image XSI, but I believe Anim8or is free, Im not positive though.
"

ok i've got all free programs and i'm planning to buy the adobe software. now is my question. do you mean with adobe photoshop texturer: adobe photoshop illustrator ? or just adobe photoshop ?

manny thanks

jovan maric

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:21:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:21:27