Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Terrain Crispness & Terrain Programs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 00:21
I use DBP and have a couple of questions regarding terrain and terrain programs.

DB Pro only accepts 1 terrain? (If I am wrong on this please let me know) So if you use lets say 3D World Builder which has a DBP export, all you have to do is export in that format and load? Will it show all items placed on that terrain as well? Tree's rocks, buildings, textures?

Also I noticed on a few of the tutorials the ground close to the camera is very blurry, can this be corrected? And can you do a Load on Demand for higher frame rates?

Thank you for your help.
Merrie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 19:07
Could someone kindly help with this question please? My thanks!

--------------------------------------------
Dark Basic Pro | Windows XP |
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 01:01 Edited at: 13th Jan 2007 01:02
1 - Yes it can build as many terrains as you want natively ( from DBP code - see crappy image of my experiments of 4 advanced terrains built at once)

2 - 3D World Builder Or 3D World Studio ? they are two completely different "animals" .
If you are speaking of 3DWS , I don't know if it can load multiple 3d worlds in DBP, but for sure it can load a full world (terrain, meshes, trees, objects etc..) Go ask at the leadwerks.com Forums.

3 - Blurriness comes from the fact that terrains can only be textured with one single texture stretched all over the terrain.
If the terrain is too large or the texture too small you get blurriness. Usually there is a second texture , called detail texture , that can be overlapped and tiled above the main one to get the impression of detail, but it's just , well.., an impression.
One solution could be to build multiple small terrains with higher detail and glue them together.
there are 4 problems:
- many big textures in memory at once
- get perfect seaming at the terrains edges
- polygon count
- achieve auto culling

4 - you can load on demand only if you use .X or .DBO terrains (i.e. mesh objects)

pros: lights will work on the terrain (they don't affect terrain with DBP advanced terrains)
cons: poly count

hope it helped

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 12:30
Quote: "4 - you can load on demand only if you use .X or .DBO terrains (i.e. mesh objects)"

I believe that the advanced terrains are made of limbs so you can hide and show each limb on demand.

Merrie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 19:53
Yes this helped alot, thank you both very much!

--------------------------------------------
Dark Basic Pro | Windows XP |
dononeton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 01:21
you can use "save terrain" and it will save a .dbo file, not sure if it would have any limbs. Reason I am saying that is if you use SET TERRAIN SPLIT. It splits the terrain in small peices. Not sure if you save the terrain to a .dbo file it will take those smaller chucks and make limbs out of them, so you can say if the limbs is in the screen then draw them other wise dont draw them
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 20:52
When you make an advanced terrain it is hence forth considered an object by DB. For example, typing the code 'hide limb id,5' would hide one section of the terrain regardless of whether you had saved the terrain as a dbo then reloaded it or not.

dononeton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 21:42
@ TEH_CODERER

can you lightmap an advance terrain with dark lights like a .dbo file?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:29:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:29:19