Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Request for Coding Template

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 20:05
Could someone post a coding template. I know it differs with each programmer but a guideline to following on setting up the most important areas of your games. Perhaps a 2D and 3D version. Not sure what Im asking? Something like...

Insert Starting Code Here

(Examples)

Insert 2D Code Here

(Examples)

This would help me alot, thanks!

--------------------------------------------
Dark Basic Pro | Windows XP |
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 21:03
There's a pretty consitant way to structure game code, actually. Here's a template for a mini FPS, if you fill it in with code it should work.

But on bigger games, this tends to get messy, so you'll need to break everything up into functions. A lot more structure gets added then, because you load individual leves loading within the main loop and lots of systems working together (inventory handling, firing weapons, enemy AI, walking around, talking to people) It's a good idea to start with a template, otherwise putting all these systems together to make a game gets real messy.

Quote: "Gimme teh code!"

Thank you for not flooding the forums with posts like this.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 22:34
There's an all-purpose one in my series on programming for beginners. There are four parts to the series so far and what you are after is in the one which covers program layout.

The link to all my tutorials is in the stickies at the top of this board.

TDK_Man

Merrie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 00:03
Ok thanks to you both, and thanks for letting me know TDK

--------------------------------------------
Dark Basic Pro | Windows XP |

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:24:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:24:01