Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / can't find anything, just opened darkBasic box

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok. i'm sorry in advance. i'm incredibly new to DB, and know nothing really about it. I just bought DB and i can't find the 45 demos at all. where are they at? i'd really like to check them out to see what is really possible.

also, can anyone give me any quick tips... like the sort of things that made you pull your hair out when you first got DB? for instance, the window looks like an odd fullscreen text editor to me with no explanation of anything, the manual isn't helping much, and i'm just curious where to start, aside the tutorials.

sorry if i'm jumping the gun, DB is just a little more overwhelming than i thought it would be.

thanks in advance.
Asche
Dexter_
Years of Service
User Offline
The best thing to do is...not to start any games or aspirations if you just got it and are not good at programming(like me :p)

Hmmmm, I think the coolest tutorial I've read so far is Xeno's rpg tutorial, it's in a sticky post somewhere

If you read that, you'll get a very good grasp for most things. Also, read TDK_Man's tutorials, they cover pretty much ALL of the basics, in depth and accurately

Pretty much, if you understand the tutorials, the manual will just build onto them with new commands.

The text editor is nothing more than you said it is, really :p
Just type your code here, when you read all the tutorials you'll have a grasp of it.

Gl, fellow noob ^^
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 10:43
Nothing really made me pull out my hair when I tried Darkbasic because I had programed in Quickbasic for 10 years. In the directory that Darkbasic Classic was installed to there are directories labeled "Sample Programs" and "Tutorials" where you can find sample code and you can use the help files (F1) where you can read about the basic programming principals and all the commands you can do in Darkbasic. It takes time and patience to learn to program but its very rewarding.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 13:14
If you are talking about DB Classic (rather than Professional) then the editor is actually very scary!

Somewhere on this site, under the DarkBASIC classic section, there is an alternative editor. Find it, install it, and the task ahead will be instantly less daunting.

asche und stoub
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks everyone.

i checked out the Dark Basic program folder, and there's nothing in there containing any demos. all of the tutorials are there, but no demos. i even checked the hidden folders (there weren't any). am i missing something?

also, i searched all over the dark basic classis section of the site, and i can't find any alternative editor. can anyone steer me in the right direction to get one?

thanks again!
Asche
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 09:48
Quote: "i checked out the Dark Basic program folder, and there's nothing in there containing any demos. all of the tutorials are there, but no demos. i even checked the hidden folders (there weren't any). am i missing something?"

That's weird... on mine in the "Sample Programs" directory there are 5 demos (Iced, Jetski, Room, Swarm, and Tank). I wonder if they only come with Darkbasic Enhanced. There is another place you can get tutorials. TDK is a great programmer and has a really good site with many tutorials for Classic.

His site:
http://www.computechtenerife.com/db.htm

Quote: "also, i searched all over the dark basic classis section of the site, and i can't find any alternative editor. can anyone steer me in the right direction to get one?"

TDK has also made an alternative editor for Classic:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=94623&b=8
Gillypie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 00:03
f11 on classic brings up commands,

just learn to use them in a logical order and youll be fine.

try writing a 2d game where a circle moves about the screen from the keys.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2007 00:20
The alternative editor for DBC (other than TDK's) is DarkEDIT:
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=showcase_view&i=65

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 15:19:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 15:19:21