Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why did you choose Dark Basic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey I just found out about these Basic languages for making games and I really want one! I just can't choose between what seems like the top two, dark basic and blitzbasic. So could you tell me what you like and dislike about dark basic? Did you choose it over blitzbasic for some reason?
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 21:28
I am new here and am still working with the language but my reason for choosing Dark Basic (classic) was price and apparent ease of use. If you look at some of the code for some of the example / demos that come with the demo version. You are suprised at what can be done in a small amount of code.

I don't know if it is better than Blitz Basic but it is a good place to start.

pugmartin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 21:31
Try the demo versions of both and decide on that. I aint used Blitz in a while, but im sure its very good.

Im more than happy with DB however, does EVERYTHING i need!!!

10 Rem Code goes here
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 00:06
DB is fantastic from my point of view...a business programmer who wants to do something more creative. Never used Blitz, but I checked out the articles in a mag a couple of months ago and went for DB...

1. Blitz was flagged as being more C like. I would disagree, knowing what I know now.

2. DB was more accessible. I didn't need the full power of DB pro (yet!) and older versions of Blitz don't support 3D.

3. Plus +++, DB Classic + DarkMatter + expansions is only £24.99 from Amazon.co.uk

Thanks in advance.
All the Best,
StevieVee
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 01:26
I tried the Demo for Blitz, & read up on it, & I decided that I didnt like it. I went over here, to DB, & bought DBPro, & it does everything that A5 can do, but at a fraction of the cost.

I needed to make a multiplayer game, & $1250 for A5 Pro was too much, so I found out about DBPro from a friend, & it seemed to do everything I need, so I bought it. Its really great, & fairly easy to use, I just need a bit of tutoring on the structure of the code, & where to place everything, in the total code that I would need for a game. But other than that, its easy to use, & I made a very small 3d program in about 10 minutes time, because I was trying to figure out the code to work properly.

DBPro is great, & there is no licensing, after you buy it, to sell a game (I think & hope.) Its a great engine, the one thing I didnt like, was the Frames Per Second rate, on DBPro, but I belive that was changed with the newest patch, I think. (Again, my friend told me.)

blather
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 03:23
I would have to agree about ease of access. I work at compUsa here in St.louis and we had it on the shelf. Got the old employee discount. Plus I am completly new to programming. Qbasic was too basic and not 3D.

"N. foolish talk esp. in great quantity"
Webster's

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 07:22:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 07:22:27