Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Yet another important question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone,

I have one more question for you all about DarkBASIC Pro's graphics handling capabilities.

How good of graphics can dark basic pro handle? I mean does it have a limitation, or is the limitation my ability to create good graphics? Like, if I were to somehow have xbox 360 level characters, and levels and such, would Darkbasic Pro be able to use them and they'd look that good? If it couldn't, could someone please explain to me why? And explain to me some of darkbasic pro's limitations?

Thanks a lot
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 04:01
Darkbasic could certainly handle it, but you'll find yourself limited fairly easily by the computer's abilities. So if you were able to create a 360-quality character, yes darkbasic could handle it, but you'd be hard pressed to have more than one in the game without seriously compromising speed.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 08:44
It's all about shaders. You can create a fantastic model, beautifully textured. But the final coat of varnish is created by using shaders, which add effects like cartoon rendering, blurring, bloom (the haze you see around objects lit by the sun) and so on.

Shaders are available, and will become easier when DarkSHADER comes out. Using them is another skill to add to your toolbox over time.

TheMirror
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone,

So basically you're saying that the graphics level depends on the user's computer then? Like supposing I had a 10,000 dollar maxed out gaming PC that was capable of handling any kind of graphics, then there would be no problem. But on a regular computer, it'll slow down. In other words it all depends on the persons computer and not on darkbasic?
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 23:19
To an extent. Darkbasic is somewhat slower than other 3d engines do to its nature, so on any given computer it could be slightly slower than an engine built in C++ for example. But what mainly determines the speed for any engine is the computer. If it's a crappy computer, it's not gonna run anything well, db games included. If it's a $10,000 uber-computer, it'll be capable of running amazing games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:27:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:27:44