Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Online Mutiplayer Space shooter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 00:45
I can't believe it, I’ve actually made a program I may end up finishing , I’ve tried it at home over my network and it works find, but I need lots of people to put it thought its paces. It can have up to 8 players but I’ve only tried it with the two, you fly the ships from an over head view (which im going to make higher).
I must say its got alot of things to do on it, like a HUD a better menu system, I forgot an input checker with the connection menu. Oh I really must stop people entering game that are being played, and make it so that ship disappear after they get destroyed. Anyway there lots to go but all I really need testing is it capabilities over the Internet.

Ok you can download it here http://members.tripod.co.uk/nskid/test.zip its 3.20 MB in size. Thanks for any help and enjoy what of it is finished

Oh just to note, read the read me for the ships stats, I advise against using ship 1, its broken at the min. If you see a strange shaped ship in there you haven't seen before, that’s me and any of you that had/has and Amiga and has played possible the best platform game for it, should recognise where the music is from

Thanks again
Skid
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 23:25
by this network...do you mean lan or direct x live/openGL sort of stuff? Not all of us have lan computers...
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 00:00
My network at home is two computer linked thought networker cards, i used the IPX connections, i really need it testing over TCP/IP with more then two players.

Skid
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 22:31
I'll give this bad-boy a shot! I have two computers which me and my friend plan LAN all the time on. RIGHT NOW I GOT 3! My friend's mom is "redecorating" and they didn't have a place for their computer, so I'm temporarily borrowing it till they need it back! If this thing is more than 2 people, I can make sure it ain't so buggy with 3.

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2002 22:57
i tried using a direct connect (i'm an ISP) - T1

didnt work at all

i could get up to the point of JOINING & then it would kicked me out of the appy & close.

United We (Still) Stand
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2002 21:35
Thanks Wendigo, and the reson it does that is because if theres not game about at that time, it prints a message then quits, i need to add a few lines of code to fix that, thanks

Skid
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 20:31
The Game is good. It's got a lot of potential. My recommendations are making a really neto scrolling space backdrop (like a nebula or something), and maybe have some asteroids or small moons (maybe even some planets in the BG). I like the old arcade feel. Reminds me of some good games back in the day (Solar Winds inparticular).

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 01:40
TheWendigo, already way ahead of you, just today i've make 3 changes, i fixed the joining and connections bugs, i've also changed the data transfer to memblocks so everything will be smother, and finaly, i've added a very quick nebula affect, with reminds me i got to find a texture to add to that
When i finished the nebula and the shield affects i'll upload that game again

Skid
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 22:26
strange: i downloaded it and every time i try to run it on my low spec machine it crashes (the low spec machine is mine, the high spec is my brothers and it works on his). An illegal op.

Spec:
Win98
450mhz Pent 3
128megs ram
Intel i810 onboard graphics with latest drivers.
DirectX 8.1

Dunno what the problem could be. Is it db or dbpro?

www.shockforge.com ShockForge Software
www.havochost.com Unlim bandwdith, unlim space, you.havochost.com, you.s8i.com, visit site for more details.
...::::ShockForge::::...
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 00:03
Its DBPro, and i don't know whats makeing it do that, sorry. Anyway, I've only got the shield affects to update till i reupload it, and the nebula affect kicks ass

Skid
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 01:53
Right, the nebal if finished, the connection, joinning and the bug with the first ship. Also i've added a shield affect althought its very simple, i couldn't get fade object to work the way i wanted it to, ie to make the shield slowly dissaper as the ship takes damage. Finaly the date transfer is working better thanks to DBPro patch 2 fixing the memblocks So enjoy this vertion

What i will be fixing next is Makeing a Radar to add to the little circals that show you were the enemys are, and i will work on an explotion effect and everything to go with it, it makeing the player dead and possably makeing it so you can acculy win the game

One final thing, i changed the code so you can start the game with one player and thanks to everyone whos been testing it

Skid
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 02:03
Sorry, i keep forgeting about this, theres also a new Zoom feacher use the -/_ and +/= to zoom in and out, and thanks again

Skid
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 03:18
Excuse me. I am currently constructing an Internet game engine which can be used for games, instant messengers, e-mails, and I was wondering if you want one specialy made for your game.

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Just wondering can u either list all the game times planned or have ur computer permanently connected so we can always play??

Kohai of UWDesign
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 11:05
404 error server error ! ...

Where's the file ?

[Kohai]
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[url] [url]kohaistyle.com[url]
pIII 733/256 Ram/Geforce 256
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 00:59
Uh, by the way, what I was talking about earlier:

Excuse me. I am currently constructing an Internet game engine which can be used for games, instant messengers, e-mails, and I was wondering if you want one specialy made for your game.

I just wanna say another thing incase you dont understand. You could play games with people over the net with this net engine. Jus e-mail me if ya want it

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 18:50
hmm, web site not working, are you sure that's the right link?

www.CyberLuke.com
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 10:59
Sorry, didn't check this message for a while. No i don't need a mutiplay game engine, if you played the game and tested to fully you would of see I allready made a fully working one for it. As for the 404 error i may of moved the file, try http://members.tripod.co.uk/nskid/skids_games/hs.zip if its not there i'll kick tripod till it is Oh i given the game a name now as well, its called Hostile Space.

Skid
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 11:05
If that link doesn't work, go to the folder and grab it from that, ie http://members.tripod.co.uk/nskid/skids_games/

Skid

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:46:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:46:27