Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newcomer Intro and recommended book on DB Pro

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 01:28
Hi all! My real name is Terry and I am totally brand new to game programming. However, I was a main frame programmer in both assembler and COBOL/CISM. Eventually I became a PC programmer and ended up using Visual Basic. I became certified with that language with MS. After retirement I joined the WWW crowd and programmed in PHP/HTML and a little Java script. I had done this since 1998. Now, I would like to continue to expand my horizons and join the gamer community of programmers. It didn't take me long to finally choose DB Pro as my programming language of choice.

I was going to order the two Hands On books until I discovered that the postage was going to be around $90.00. That made the cost of both just under $200.00. I just couldn't see that much expenditure. So, I began a search for another alternative. I was not having any luck until I happened to find a book at Target of all places. (This info, of course, is mainly for those in the USA). The following is the info for this book:

Quote: "Learn to write 2D and 3D games without any programming experience by harnessing the advanced 2D/3D graphics features of DarkBasic Professional. This easy-to-use language handles the entire game engine for you, so you are free to focus on designing and playing your own games. Written for beginners with no programming experience, DarkBASIC Pro Game Programming, Second Edition is a welcome change of pace from traditional game programming books. You won't need to spend time figuring out how the game engine works, but only what the game is supposed to do. You will be able to create self-contained executable games with the graphics and sound files stored inside the exe file. No DarkBasic runtime library is needed: compiled programs are self-contained and require only that DirectX is installed. Finally, a book for complete beginners who want to learn to write games! "

It is regularly $59.99 but is on sale for $32.99. The copyright is 2007 so it is brand new. The name is:

DarkBasic Pro
Game Programming, Second Edition

Here is the link:

DarkBasic Pro

As opposed to Highlander.
Zlatan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 01:41
I got the hands on one and all i can say is that the money you spend on those are very well spent

- GameDesigner
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 02:50
Hi Zlatan

Of course, when you get DB Pro, you get the first four chapters of each volume. That's when I saw how good it was and was about to purchase them. However, I just didn't want to spend $200.00 quite yet. I might just get the 2nd volume after I finish with this one. A person can't have too many reference materials. Also, if a person took a course, it would cost at least that much.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 08:46
Welcome to the community Flatlander. You made a wise choice going with Pro.

Reynard
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 13:56
I bought DBPro GP,2nd when I purchased DBPro and think the money was really well spent -- since I am completely new to programming of any sort. Once I finish all the tuts in that book (and a bunch here...) I am going to get the Hands on vols.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 22:46
Thanks Grog. A person can always use confirmation.

Reynard

Quote: "I bought DBPro GP,2nd when I purchased DBPro and think the money was really well spent -- since I am completely new to programming of any sort. Once I finish all the tuts in that book (and a bunch here...) I am going to get the Hands on vols. "

One of the things I like about a beginners "text" book is that it always covers programming technqiques. Understanding algorithims and logic are extremely important and a new-bee to programming definately needs to understand that concept. Understanding that should help in cutting down on all those "gimme" the code" questions. I agree with a lot of the sentiment here that those questions shouldn't be asked! What should be asked is, "I have some code here and if you take a look at it, please tell me what I'm doing wrong, 'cuz I can't seem to get it to work."

Anyway, for all those in the USA, if you are reluncant to get the hands-on books because of the cost be sure and get the one suggested here. However, Volume 2 of the hands-on books definately is a must after you go through the DBPro GP,2nd edition. At least I am assuming there would be some advanced techniques discussed in that volume concerning graphics and especially 3D graphic programming for games.

BTW, I am known in other boards as "Mr. Windbag." I seem to always write volumes. Part of the reason is that I am a touch typist and can wiz through these lines is heart-beat.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 15:38
Quote: "I seem to always write volumes."

Me too! I could write a book on DB with all of my tutorials (and yes it has been suggested).

If you have time to read any, my tutorials cover fundamental stuff like variable usage, program logic and the proper layout for a structured program. They can be found in a sticky at the top of this board.

TDK_Man

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 21:49
Hey, thanks TDK. I hadn't looked at any of the stickies yet. These tutorials are very useful.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 03:35
Really TDK you should write a book. There are many print-on-demand companies that have all the tools to make high quality books. Any serious manuals need to be plasticoil.

http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fSymbol=lulu_basics#FAQLink5

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 04:21
Welcome, and feel free to ask questions .

@TDK: Am I really this ignorant, or did you just become a mod ?

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 07:32
Hey F l a t l a n d e r welcome on board, glad to have you here and DB pro was a good choice hope u do good with your programming.

See ya

~Kieran

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:32:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:32:59