Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I'm 99% new to this

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know this is a place for noob Qs, but I'm new as in I don't know very much/nothing about coding...

I want to get DarkBASIC, but...I don't know WHAT to get to start!

Should I just get darkBASIC for just starting to learn code (I have used game maker for a few days and just done drag stuff) And I would just stick with game maker, but I want to learn a code that I'll USE for I don't want to get good at GM6 and then go buy DB and just get stuck...So should I stick to Game maker (Pay 20$ for more stuff) OR should I start with DarkBASIC?

Which DarkBASIC should I get? (Pro or just basic?)
And what add-ons should I think of getting?
How much will it cost all together to make a nice game?

My friend and I have a dream of making a MMORPG and for two dummies that know nothing about coding (I know things about X and Y) How should we start?
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Get DarkBasic Pro, but before doing so, download the trial, see what you think of it, muck around a bit with it, it's way better than Game Maker, which I still use on and off, but DBPro is recommended.
Noobx13
Years of Service
User Offline
I only got about $60 to spend...So I'll just start off with the trial (I'll have about $80 when it ends)

1)What Add-on stuff should I get? (Stuff to download off the internet)
2)I don't know ANYTHING about coding so talk to me like I don't know anything about coding (I like looking at coding though!)
3)My first task is to make a board game with coding. (Chess!)
4)I do have a cousin that does software...I got to see her do coding...It was WAY more...hard looking then DBP.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 05:53
Yeah, DBP is the way to go, but try the trial first, and do some tutorials, just realize you won't be making your MMORPG in a matter of a few weeks, or for that matter, probably a few years .

Quote: "(I know things about X and Y) "

Lol, but you can't forget Z with 3D .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 06:39
just so u know DBP is good, but with X,Y and Z it is used Y as the vertical axis. DBP has many capabilities and is good to use, try the demo, do a few tutorials on it and have a look at what u think about it

Noobx13
Years of Service
User Offline
And when I said I only used the drag stuff in game maker...I wasn't even good at that and still can't make a game with just dragging...
I'm thinking of just getting good with game maker (easyer then DBP I think) to start off with then (I'll have about $90) get DBP. I don't want to spend $90 on DBP and then hate doing coding!
Since I'm just learning how to code/want to learn I think I should try using a easy code (I know game maker isn't as flexy as DBP) to start off with.
I don't know how far I'll go to learn coding, so I think it would be best go the cheapest way:

1)Get good at game maker
2)Buy ($20) the full game maker
3)(when I can do coding/know how coding works) Get DarkBASIC pro
I'll still try the demo though! (How much can I learn in 30 days?)
Death312
Years of Service
User Offline
i too used game maker once, till i found dbp, its hard at first, and even tho i am still learning, it gets pretty easy once u get a hang of it. A lot of it reminds me of the game maker "buttons" u just have to type them out, and you can do so much more.
MadrMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 17:52
"I'll still try the demo though! (How much can I learn in 30 days?) "

a real lot, actually

Oh and i hope you dont think coding in game maker is the same as coding in dbpro..

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 19:46
ok once u have downloaded the trial do a few tutorials to see if you like it

and heres a few basic commands

and if you follow a tutorial or two you will find out what they do.
also there are many tutorials floating around in the newcomers corner, the best ones are most likely stickied at the top of this forum.

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 19:49 Edited at: 29th Jan 2007 19:52
Quote: "
And when I said I only used the drag stuff in game maker...I wasn't even good at that and still can't make a game with just dragging...
I'm thinking of just getting good with game maker (easyer then DBP I think) to start off with then (I'll have about $90) get DBP. I don't want to spend $90 on DBP and then hate doing coding!
"

dude if you can't even do good with drag and drop i suggest you take some game maker tutorials heres some very nice ones
http://gamemaker.nl/tutorial.html

and dont register game maker its a bad move id suggest getting thi for starting out

http://t3dgm.thegamecreators.com/

or if you like making first person shooters

http://www.fpscreator.com/

Noobx13
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Madrman
I know that game maker coding is not the same as DBpro. Thats why my friend wants to just start off with dbpro and not "wast" time with game maker.

What my friend wants is us the get DBpro and just start making a MMORGP! (It just sounds so easy!)
What he didn't like was when I told him it would take about 1 year (I know it would take 2-3, but I didn't want him to know that/I know it must be longer) and thats if we are pros at the coding...(which we are not!)

I'm getting the demo now, so can you guys point out some nice places to learn DBpro? (I know they have it all linked in a sticky, but I want a guide for someone (like me) that knows nothing about coding)
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 20:30
ok, by all means keep your dreams of making an mmorpg,but don't just jump in at the deep end with that. loads and loads of newcommers think that they can make a billiant mmo quickly with dbpro. once you've got the demo try simple stuff to get used to it.

Projects: jungle extreme 10%
mental snowboarding 3%
Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 21:46
heres a few to get you started

this is a list of tutorials by TDK which are quite useful

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96010&b=7

Here is a tutorial from xenocythe about making RPG's

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=64198&b=7

And here is a tutorial I wrote about creating your first RPG world

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=98367&b=7

Noobx13
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there going to be a new Vista DBpro? (If so, I'll just save and get that) I'm getting a new PC (with vista) and I want to know if they have plans for a vista one.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 00:12 Edited at: 31st Jan 2007 00:12
NOOOOOOOOOO!!! STOPP!!!!

Do NOT waste your money with 3D game maker. It's a waste that you can only make 3 different types of games with. You can't change anything about it except characters or weapons or whatever.

If you wanna make games that can be any type of game, go with Darkbasic Pro. Not Darkbasic Classis, its just as easy but Pro has more commands and is more powerful.

So choose Pro, you'll LOVE it once you learn it. It's an amazing Application.

I made the mistake of buying DB Classic and not being satisfied enough

Then I bought DBPro and I'm very happy

But I'm still sad that I spent my money on DBCLassic

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:24:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:24:54