Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / how do you make Sky Box X files?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been searching all over and I found plenty of places that talk about how to implement skyboxes into DBPro. This is all well and good So I got the Sky Matter (Packs 4 & 5) and wanted to use them. But there are no .x files associated with them. How would you turn those image files into the .x file or implement them into DBPro without having to make a different plain for each texture and try to line it up?

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 20:14
One suggestion is to use Max/Blender/MS3D to make a cube with it's normals inverted, that is one solution. Alternatively, using individual plains works ok too so long as you use the right settings with the plain:

Quit planning to make a game and make a game.
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 11:40
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but I usually just use a stock dbo, turn off the backface culling, and texture it, so there is no need for a 'skybox.x' file.

However, I checked my media folder and found a skybox file there, so here, use what-ever makes the most sense to you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
If I don't use the .x file should I import those image files into Photoshop and make them all one image like the diagram in the DL I have? I know the directions W,N,S,E,Up and Down may be off but the idea should still be the same right? Please let me know....

~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 15:55
no.
You mae them seperate iamge files and then texture plain's with them and then position the plains.

I have no soul.. I nobody.. I have no heart.. I have felt in the darkness.. Im the darkness.. Whatever..
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
so then is that how you are supposed to use the SkyMatter files? I thought they would be already prepared... silly me hehe. So then you need an independent program to assemble the image files as an .x file to load into DBPro?

~V.J.C. 2003
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 08:22
In the "skybox2.x" model I gave you, there are already mapped bitmap names for the sides. The bit map names are as folows:

top : "SkyBox_Top.bmp";
left : "SkyBox_Left.bmp";
right : "SkyBox_Right.bmp";
bottom : "SkyBox_Bottom.bmp";
front : "SkyBox_Front.bmp";
back : "SkyBox_Back.bmp";

Amazing huh, anyway, I think that if you simply rename the SkyMatter files to match those filenames then the skybox will work. But I didn't try it myself.

On second thought, since its an acsii .x, you could simply open the .x file in wordpad and find each line where those filenames are, and replace them with your own, and then save it. That would save you some trouble, if you don't feel like renaming SkyMatter content.
Dammit Jim
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's another way.....
If you have a program like 3d World Studio then you would make a cube,
hollow it out with a thin wall thickness.

Then go inside the box...load up the picture for the sky...point to the inside top of the box, and apply the texture.

Do the same with the bottom, and four sides of the box.
when done...export the box to an .x format i.e. "sky1.x".

copy this file, along with the textures to the dbpro program and resize the box to accomodate the boundries of your world.

Works good for me.

What?....Me Worry?
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
I have Cartography Shop right now. I tried to make one out of there by creating a cube. But when I load it into DBPro, it is all out of line. I'll have to work on this then. Thanks for the help

~V.J.C. 2003
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 16:52
There's some info here about skyboxes which might be of help:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=58335&b=10

TDK_Man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:31:32