Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / UK National IQ test

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 00:27
Anybody had a go at the UK National IQ test at [href]www.bbc.co.uk/testthenation[/href]

I got an IQ of 95
"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 00:42
I got 3/10 for the quick test...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 01:14
20min test... scored 86
Language..... 9/12
Memory....... 7/12 (surprised me cause my memory is crap)
Logic........ 15/22
Numbers...... 3/12
Perception... 9/12

interesting really, i mean if you went by this then i'm an idiot lol
- but ifs that true, then i feel REALLY sorry for alot of the users who are quite obviously more stupid than me lol

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 01:57 Edited at: 5th May 2003 01:58
I got 85...

Language - 8/12
Memory - 8/12
Logic - 15/22
Numbers - 3/12
Perception - 7/12

My college IQ test was around 50, so it appears I get brainer as I get older...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:01 Edited at: 5th May 2003 02:01
hehee... well we appear to be both just crap with our mental arthimatic
is gonna be interesting to see what other get.

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:04
Indeed...

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:04
Obviously, the test was not exactly accurate and plus it put us under pressure, but if you were to take a proper IQ test, I'm sure the results would be much more positive

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:13
lol i got 118 and i complained... got 129 last year.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:14
is that your way of saying you've taken the test but the score is so low you don't wanna post it?

the scores we got weren't to bad to be honest, normally the scales are different, like 60-180 rather than 50-157
i know its really a big crock of crap - but still it is good to know people reaction times and abilities in those times ... for example if bet if i wasn't sitting here signing along to No Doubt i've of got a bit higher hehee (^_^)
pressure is good to make my brain work, never figured out why either ... but others its the other way around.

i mean don't worry we're hardly gonna say anyone who get nothing a dumbass - its all just a bit of fun

denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:15
Ahaha I got 96 ... I guessed the Last 3-4 rounds (I was bored by then so I clicked anything)... Not bad for a 15 year old who skipped the last parts!

Laters.

[url][/url]
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:17
LOL, how'dyou know that, nahhh, It's just that I'm sure if the real IQ test was taken, it would be in a more relaxed environment so you would actually have time to figure and calculate etc. Plus, my eye site isn't very good and I didn't read some of the questions quickly enough LOL. Oh well, that's evolution for ya!!

Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:23
i wish i had done it online now... it would have been more rewarding and i wouldve been more focused, the comp does that for me, my g/f doesnt
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:24 Edited at: 5th May 2003 02:27
Got 96. Ironically couldn't find the quick test Unsurprisingly the perception one let me down big style. Just can't do them under a time limit. And time limits on number puzzlers can really throw me out for some reason (the ones that go like Bob is 32, Sam is older than Bob, but Wilma is younger then Sam's younger brother John etc etc).

I really hate those tests though. I remember doing one for Marconi a few years back with some other bloke for an interview. Was designed to take an hour, and was also designed to not be completable in the time limit. I totally locked up and got stuck on the first question, which was something like: Team 1 played 2 and won. Team 3 played team 1 and won. Team 2 played team 3 and lost. Team 4 played team 1 and drew. Blah blah blah. Then where does team 10 approx. come in the league? They never mentioned team 10 before and they didn't mention the no. of teams in the league. Grief. And it was supposed to be 30 secs on average per question. Took me about 15mins before I gave up on it (couldn't think straight). Also worried me when the other bloke smugly put down his pen from the supposed unfinishible test around 10 mins earlier. I filled in any old thing after that. Esp. the cubes in 3D f**king questions. Grrrr..... Suffice it to say that my official secrets act signature was not needed after that day (submarine sonar division). *EDIT: Christ, although my spelling is going down the swanney*

Oh, and if you live in London, and happen to support the second best football club in England... lalalalalalalalalala... heh... *coff* first hurdle *coff*....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:33
ROFLMFAO, man o man o man. It's obvious, the 10th team lost since they played Man Unt and got whooped LOL.

Nah, just kiddin, I would like to take the real IQ test but I feel that if I do, I'm trying to prove something to myself which quite frankly doesn't matter much now as it's who you know, not what you know

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:35
got 113 (god i'm good!)
language = 10/12
memory=10/12
logic=19/22
numbers=8/12
perception=9/12

Why did I do so good? Always been good at these type of puzzles. I even admit to watching odd episode of countdown. Should use my 'talent' to write a db game shouldn't I?

Would have got more but ran out of time on some questions just as I was about to click on answer.

Gronda, Gronda
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:39
Now the thing to remember is that it's the first time you take the test, not subsequent times as you would most definately be cheating...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:51
Oh course it is who you know! IQ tests mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. I mean a few years ago the boss and me put an IQ test into our companies interview stages. Amusingly we gave it to everyone in the department and most failed it. Means nothing, but helps to cut down on lots of people for an interview rather than just rolling a dice.

After 8 years of working I can def. say, hand on heart, that most things in working life are based on who you know rather than that what you know. 100%. It also helps if your uncle happens to be rather high up in the antler wearing dodgy handshake club. Sometimes it's amazing how some higher up people manage to stay in jobs. Is not IQ, I can tell you that for nothing. Sigh. Must stop ranting.

Cheers

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:55
Ooohhh, is APEXnow a bit jealous that other people have beaten him!

I didn't cheat by the way. I have no intention of running the test again as it took long enough the first time (and that was after a couple of beers). I have now had another couple of beers and all that I want to do now is goto bed.

Gronda, Gronda
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 03:07 Edited at: 5th May 2003 03:08
Jealousy is a primitive emotion, not for the likes of me ROFL

Just kiddin!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 04:05
I got 125

I did'nt do it last year, but I remember much tougher maths questions last year.

Van-B
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I got 121
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 04:09
121?!!!! blimey, you swallowed an encyclopedia or sommit? lol

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well Van-B got 125.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 04:14
All for a bit of fun though eh? Brings the group together.. cmon,, group hug, group hug LOL

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 08:38 Edited at: 5th May 2003 08:54
I got 128, misses got 122 on the tv show I dispute that tho, I did a proper written one about 6 months ago and only got 117

It should be added that I don't like these tests, your IQ is only a small part of what makes you a interesting, intelligent person

Any1 who watched the show, is it me or is Fearne cute? My kids watch the "Saturday Show" and "Smile", shes really cool and bl**dy funny with her lil imrovs and weird but cool indie chick dress sense Can't sing for toffee tho (Celebrity Fame Academy )

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 09:56
lol... so its just me and toad who are idiots here then (how ironic is that mate? hehee)
personally i think these test are amusing because they're not testing your IQ but your reaction speed to stimulae
for some reason speed is placed hand in hand with intelligence - which could just be me but that isn't right. But then again that is the lowest score i've got, a good 40less than usual ... i should be worried, cause load of codswallop or not that still means that something isn't right.

ho hum

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 11:44 Edited at: 5th May 2003 11:54
I got 120. My dad got 141!!!!! He only got 3 questions wrong !

language = 7/12
memory=11/12
logic=21/22
numbers=8/12
perception=10/12

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 11:48
Indeed - very ironic...

On the positive side, I'm smarter than the dog...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 11:52
wonder if we're smarter than a cat though, i mean they're pretty clever buggers

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 11:55
By the way TA, the lowest possible score was 70, so of course your score increased!

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 11:55
I only did it because I knew my little brother would be taking it too, so I had to take it and beat him! , otherwise I'd never hear the end of it.

That's about the most useful these tests are, settling arguments. Personally, nothing annoys me more than people assuming their smarter than me, or assuming I'm stupid. In Scotland, being a computer programmer just means you sit at a desk all day - you get no credit for the noodles it takes. I had this one guy I knew, he was always going on about how clever he was, so we both did an online test, I beat the little git by 31 points!!!. IQ's not important, but it's nice to be able to prove your not an idiot (on paper at least) .

I really dislike the way they try and categorise people with them, like this person is blonde, this person is fat, this person can play the piano, this person watches BBC2 etc etc - I mean, what the hell does it all proove, the shifts were usually in the 1 point mark, so I'd say they proove nothing, there's so many deciding factors in someones IQ. I prefer to guage it on the percentage, like a lot of tests tell you which percentage you are, 130 is top 2%, 100 is supposedly 50% (average). At the end of the day though, there's few tests in job interviews nowadays, IQ does'nt guage how well you perform academically, how much you earn, how bright your kids will be, in fact the only people worried about IQ rates are Mensa. Talent, personality and confidence are much more important.

Van-B
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 14:35
Couldn't be bothered with IQ tests. Are simply an amusing distraction. If the bloke in the petrol station gets top marks then great. Whatever. In the real world they mean nothing. Apart from getting past certain companies interview tests.

Cheers

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 14:49
Well, the tests are supposed to be on the site for the next few weeks but it's interesting to hear what people think in general

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 15:35
People with Low IQs aren't stupid, often far from it Thats like when teachers think dislexic people are stupid. I mean hardly any of an IQ test will test for creative or artistic ability, perhaps only spacial and perception, and those are a matter of opinion.

And like I said, the bbc one seemed far from accurate, altho I won't be writing in to complain since it called me smarter than I am

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 16:12
No, I meant it increased from when I had to do one around 5 years ago for college...

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 17:22 Edited at: 5th May 2003 17:23
117 (Last year, using the online web one)

Not fantastic, but pretty reasonable.

Current Project: TANK MELÉE [Artwork]

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 17:46
When the rubix cube came out, I managed to complete it in around 20-25 minutes......

Didn't help the fact that I dropped it, didn't take long to put it back together of course <gggg>

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 19:09
When the rubix cube came out, I cheated.

Current Project: TANK MELÉE [Artwork]

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_101.zip
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 20:23
Yep, me too. Took the stickers off the blocks and put them back to look completed. Mum thought I was a genius thanks to hype on TV at the time.

Also those old game books (turn to page 144 to fight the werewolf...) only lasted so long until you started cheating. Was just too annoying to be killed for turning the wrong way. Had around 30 of those books too...

Cheers

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 20:39
I can do the rubix snake... lol

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 01:10
I used to have those little transparent cubes with a metal ring and little ball bearings. Real stress relief!!! LOL

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 06:41
I am assuming that the UK IQ test is nothing like the American one. My reasoning is that I got an 189. That leaves three possibilities: the two test are not relative in any way, you are all dunces, or I'm a God damn genius. And I really doubt it to be of the latter two. The 'UK National IQ' test, is that taken by everyone? In the US, people only take the test if they are recommended as by a teacher or school official or else they are extremely arrogant and haughty and believe they are the best essence to ever tinge the earth's surface.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 06:48 Edited at: 6th May 2003 10:36
O_O I BEAT YOU ALL WITH 192... PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 07:29 Edited at: 6th May 2003 07:37
OK, I just took the test and it is relatively the same as the US one. Just a slightly different grading scale.

Here are my results:

Language: 11/12
Memory: 10/12
Logic: 22/22
Numbers: 12/12
Perception: 11/12

Sorry Puff, you didn't quite beat me. I only gave the average which would be 189. I took the test on three occasions, here's the list of results: 162, 209, 196. (Put that in your orifice and clinch it.)

I just did some reading up on it and a score of 105-110 is average. Acquiring anything above 225 is considered pure genius.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 09:23
it's said that if you are too smart you are or will become crazy, seriously... *off to look up the details*

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 10:25
i don't understand how either of you can get over 157 when thats the max score

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 10:37
=P Raven the IQ scale goes to 160... O_O above is off the scale... Stephen Hawking is a 240... -_- and I'm not crazy... =P just misunderstood... oh yes go here http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 11:37
Well I figure it's a bit unfair to do the test more than once, and also after the answers have been broadcast on TV.

I'm pretty sure I could get a great score if I took the test over, but it would'nt be accurate.

In terms of average, well 100 is average, otherwise IQ scores mean nothing!, they're all relative. And don't pay too much attention to dumbed down American tests, I've tried some, and they're all easy in comparison to this one.

Van-B
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 11:47
Your right... =P That 192 was one I got at some educational research institute thingy... O_O By the end of all the tests I was calling ducks pigs... =\...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 11:49
Ahhhhh, sorry Raven, I never noticed you mentioning the 157 top limit.

Ok, so can you guys explain the following:

If I'm 70, and I get 70 questions right, my score is 157, I'm 28, if I get 70 questions right, I score 137.

So how in the blue hell could anyone get over 157? - the maximum score for all questions right if your a pensioner.

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:43:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:43:44