Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / So, should one go for Dark GDK or Dark GDK.NET?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does any one have any preferences or suggestions?
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 00:21
The two packages is (as far as i know) virtually identical when it comes to functionality.

So your choice should fall on the language you feel most comfortable with.

My projects: http://thecyborg.adsl.dk/programming/DGDK/

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors (http://www.tuwguild.com)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 01:49
yep, both dgk's are based on the same source

Michael Moore needs film making lessons from Aaron Russo: America: Freedom To Fascism
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 02:08
I obviously can't comment since I use both! But... I also agree with JB, if you're a C++ person, then DGDK, otherwise if you're eager to use Visual Basic or C#, DGDK.NET performs on the same level.

I will add that you may find setting up DGDK.NET easier since there does tend to be complications for a small minority of people who use the DGDK (C++) toolkit, but that's normally associated with minor differences in each developer's system and availability of libraries etc.

It's your choice:

Door No.1 - DGDK (C++) Compatable with C++ Express version available from Microsoft, and of course the bulk commercial versions.

or

Door No.2 - DGDK.NET, usable with all of the Express development tools available from Microsoft.

Paul.

"This is Big Brother, could Ian please remove his head from the oven, thank you!"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 03:30 Edited at: 31st Jan 2007 03:31
Quote: "...otherwise if you're eager to use Visual Basic or C#,... "

Visual Basic .NET, not visual basic, huge diff

Quote: "Door No.2 - DGDK.NET, usable with all of the Express development tools available from Microsoft."

AND all bulk commercial versions of Visual Studio .NET

Michael Moore needs film making lessons from Aaron Russo: America: Freedom To Fascism
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 04:08
Ok ok, slipped my mind, but I was too busy admiring that ED-209 model CR

Paul.

"This is Big Brother, could Ian please remove his head from the oven, thank you!"
Eisenhund
Years of Service
User Offline
So, I guess my last question then is compiled sizes and run times. I would guess that VC++ creates smaller executables that run faster than one would be able to do in .NET with the GDK? If so, how much difference does one see? Also, why does ED-209 sound so familiar?
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 11:29 Edited at: 31st Jan 2007 11:31
I dont know about the sizes in C++ version.

But a typical simple (no media) game made with C#, the exe file will range from 20-64KB + eventual DLL files if you use plugins (see DarkEngine) that adds another 200-300KB

EDIT: oh, and runtime installer is 4.75MB. Also, a fairly decent version of DirectX is needed, but people will need this sooner or later anyways.

My projects: http://thecyborg.adsl.dk/programming/DGDK/

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors (http://www.tuwguild.com)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 12:22
Quote: "I would guess that VC++ creates smaller executables..."

no. due to the nature of the .NET framework and JIT compiling .NET exe's are tiny

Quote: "...that run faster than one would be able to do in .NET with the GDK? If so, how much difference does one see?"

Paul uses both and from what I gather there isnt really a difference with most things, or if so, its negligible - but dont quote me on that.

Quote: "Also, why does ED-209 sound so familiar? "

its the file name of a cool robot model from turbosquid that Apex found last night, unless of course you know a guy named Ed-209, then that might explain it

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 13:36
Quote: "why does ED-209 sound so familiar? "

Probably because you've seen it before:

Paul.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 15:28
Quote: "ts the file name of a cool robot model from turbosquid that Apex found last night, unless of course you know a guy named Ed-209, then that might explain it "

You mean none of you have seen RoboCop

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 15:30
haha, I knew the bot looked like that, never knew the bots name from the movie. Lol. Im getting old

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 15:30 Edited at: 31st Jan 2007 15:32
Quote: "You mean none of you have seen RoboCop "

Now you're being silly . Seriously, if people haven't seen or even heard of the films, they've lived a very sheltered life.

Paul.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 15:32
Good old Anmatronic(sp?) days

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 01:08
I just got DGDK.net and am going with VB.net. This should make it easier to learn. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but will soon

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 02:23
Lost In Thought !!!!! Nice one mate, nice one

You'll probably want to get ahold of the CSM importer to. It's on the 3DWS forum as well, but I may need to update it if you have the 1.0.7.0 update, (which is still pending due to site updates), then you will probably need a new update of the plugin.

Anyrate, nice one

Paul.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 04:56
congrats LIT, welcome aboard

Michael Moore needs this film:Aaron Russo's America: Freedom To Fascism
RonPaul'08

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 04:25:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 04:25:33