Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / TBS (turn based strategy) tutorial?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there any tutorials that say how to make a TBS? I have read all of the tutorials here but i cannot find out how to make one. If there are no tutorials here is there any other place that might have one?

Lavalord7
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone?

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 11:20
as far as i know they aren't made as they take a long time to get to the combat interface section of your RPG or whatever.

anyways if you have read other tutorials then set up a small game with the cube as a character, a sphere as the monster and then attempt to make a simple battle. when you get stuck making the battle come and start a thread sking for help on it. otherwise i can't help you sorry

~Kieran
Sonic 91 Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 12:47
BTW, lava, this isn't a chatroom, it's a forum. you may have to wait a few days for a reply.

"Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on eternal life"
-1 Timothy 6:12
Lavalord7
Years of Service
User Offline
Sonic I Knew that, only the last few times I posted I got replies within an hour... I just guessed that this was a very active forum.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 00:17
It is active but some people don't like to post in threads they don't know anything about. I didn't even know this type of game was called a TBS.

I haven't done one myself but it shouldn't be too hard to setup the main routines. You just need a setup routine that allows the player to move characters, change settings on cities, and anything else. Then run the AI routine for npcs, citizen reactions to changes in the cities, and so on.

This works in Classic and Pro:

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 21:33
there are usually like 20+ members and only like 0-2 of them may know the answer to your problem, so you can't expect all 20+ of them to see your post, solve it and then go back about their business

~Kieran
Lavalord7
Years of Service
User Offline
To Kieran: Sorry. I didnt think about that... Its not a big deal.

To Grog: Thanks!

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 11:54
Np.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 15:03 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 15:06
The way TBS works is like a board game. Each player has a turn where you could attack, defend, move, heal and so on. This is where strategy comes into play. Think of a "Real Time Strategy" RTS game but playing it in turns.

Most game use "traditional Turn-based Battle". Each player has a meter that fill up based on your speed. The player whos meter fill up first has his turn, all other players and enermys meters are paused. Once the players turn is over, his/her's meter is reduced to 0 and all meters are resumed.(This is manily for RPG's)

"Conditional Turn-based Battle" (CTB) system, every player in
battle would be ranked according to speed. So get all player speeds and put them in a list highest to lowest. The player with the highest speed goes first. When player turn is over, player get sent to the bottom of the list and so on. This is not timed based system, as soon as a player turn is over it's the next players turn.(This system has been used in the past for TBS games)

There's also "Active Time Battle" (ATB) system, "Real Time Battle" (RTB) system and "Active Dimension Battle" (ADB) system, but these are time based systems.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 17:35:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 17:35:21