Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Exodus

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 21:45 Edited at: 16th May 2011 19:23

Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 22:59
Looks cool You should make it so that when you finish a building you can export it in a 3D format.

Practice makes perfect. But if nobody is perfect, why practice?
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 23:18
Looking good so far. I played the demo of the Sim Skyscraper, and it was fun (for it's time, obviously, there's much improvement to be made now . Don't know if that's the same thing as Skyscraper Simulator though.

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 23:12 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2007 19:39
Cheers for comments guys.

SNOW ISLAND : www.snowisland.co.uk
BEWARE THE MOON : www.bewarethemoon.co.uk
ALIEN INVASION : www.alien-invasion.co.uk
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 19:41
A modified video at YouTube shows Skyscraper construction speeded up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZlwcEFaRc4

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Seems interesting, and quite teh departure from Snow Island!

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2007 22:14
Looks good,

I got Sim Tower lying in my drawer.its cool...but doesn't run very well on XP.

bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 22:54
Hehe your right Cian Rice, glad someone remembers Snow Island. Although strategy is my home and this is my passion so hopefully it will be more impressive than Snow Island. On a technical level I think it is much more with many data structures and pathfinding algorithms and A.I. during fire for the tenants, but hopefully with a new user interface letting anyone build their Skyscraper quickly...

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2007 23:02
Are there any disasters that can happen?
eg. Earquakes, fires etc.

That would be cool.

bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2007 14:56 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2007 15:14
EXODUS Trailer

I have created a new video to show the Fire Signal's being added to the Skyscraper, showing the Elevator Zone Based Evacuation System and the Stairwell's being used by tenants for evacuation.

View Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlHnzvP-IE

Screenshot:

Posters
Some new posters showing real world elevator designs as well as the figures produced from the simulation:

Exodus Skyline (Renders)

wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
Really cool demo you got there.
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 00:12
Cheers wildbill, glad you liked the new video,

Now my degree has finished I was wondering whether to keep the project academic as a tool to test elevator evacuation or change the title to more of a commercial sim-tower like game.

View Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlHnzvP-IE

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 04:12 Edited at: 27th Apr 2007 04:13
very impressive mate, i was a sim city / tower fan as well as elevator action for ages, I can appreciate what must have gone into this.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 15:54 Edited at: 27th Apr 2007 16:36
This looks sweet. I really hope this WIP ends up in the "Program Announcements" board. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

BTW, I have never played Sim Tower, but are you going to incorporate any simple plumbing strategies? It's one of the areas that has always fascinated me about tall buildings. Raising all that water, but you can't just have pipes going straight down or you would kill someone using 18th floor's toilet.

Not sure how deep you want to go with this, but heating and AC would seem to coincide with plumbing, as well as vent shafts.

If you really want to get crazy, some simple wiring simulation and breaker box for Electric would rock!!!

Other Ideas (Warning: May be stupid )
- (AI Pathfinding)
Usr is able to toggle different failures of systems to see how well the building can function in case of power outages, in-operable elevators, Heating/cooling.

- (*Time consuming + Physics + Audio Acoustics + Sound Wave Analysis + Atmospheric Dynamics)
User can run tests for (sound/noise) (acoustics/distribution), sound proofing, & outside environmental noise etc.. Based on the materials used and the angles, shape of buildings design.

- (*Time consuming + Structural Physics/Load balancing)
Have the user be able to check/monitor structural fault tollerance. By allowing the user to create fail points at beams and struts to see how the building handles failure, and load re-distribution.

- (*Time consuming + Physics/Aerodynamics + Environmental factors)
I'm not an engineer, but living in NY, I was in awe the first time I found out that skyscrapers can easily sway 4-8ft (at times more) Depending on environment factors such as wind, temp, etc... So it may be interesting to check the buildings aerodyamics and drag coefficients, as well as flexibily of support structures.

==========

- (Further Dev).

IDEA #1:
Once you are finished with this project. I can see you taking it to new levels, if you so decide.

It would be really cool to see Exodus included in a Fire-Rescue-Type-Sim. Wher players could coordinate Fire/Rescue units to assist occupants and extinguish flames. Possibly add a grading/scoring sytem based on:

- Severity of fire to %Damage sustained
- # of saved lives and average rescue time based on floor
- Time to extinguish the blaze
- Amount of resources used and cost$

=====

IDEA #2:
You could build and office/Residential SIM around it, (sorta like simcity, but for one building that can be expanded as cash comes in).

Inhabitants (represented by little dots or jumpman like sim-people) could give feedback on the buildings design. They either continue to rent or move out of offices.

Better quality building and penthouses could allow the user to increase rates. Bargain with outside businesses to include restaurants, entertainment, conventions.

Residents/visitors could provide feedback to the player:

Negative comments (positive comments would be the opposite)
- Not much lighting here.
- Three Elevators to get to my office. This is not good for business. I may have to look at a new building.
- This building closed in, I miss a natural environment/lighting.
- Not enough bathrooms, what was the designer thinking.
- These corridors are too tight. Hope there's never an emergency evacutation.
- These elevators Accelerate too fast/slow.
- Every little sound echos through this building. (ehcos through this building... this building. building)
- I wish my office had larger windows, the skyline view would be nice.
- My office gets too hot with all these clear class windows facing the sun during the day.
- The water pressure is too low and toilets don't flush well.
- Not enough emergency lighting. Where are the Exits?
- I don't feel safe in this building, where are the security cameras?
etc...

==============================================

Just some Ideas. May be too difficult or time consuming to think about now, but I just thought I would share in case you ever come back to this after your project is turned in.

Really like what I see already. Solid idea and execution seems to have been clearly though out. Keep it up!!! I'm impressed.
bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2007 11:02 Edited at: 16th May 2011 19:25
Fantastic response zenassem, I love it when people get passionate about my projects. All your idea's are great, SimTower mainly focused on elevator usage to floors but I think it would be good to include many other aspects to create the ultimate skyscraper.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:36:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:36:16