Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / How do you add debris to entities?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 14:27
How do you set up an entity to have debris when you destroy it? I know the crates in scifi have debris, but I cant find where the models are kept.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 15:21
The models for the "pieces" are know as 'crate_c_chunk1.X', crate_c_chunk1a.X, crate_c_chunk2.X, crate_c_chunk2a.X and on, in the meshbank/scifi or ww/scenery/furniture/cratec (I believe that's the first that has parts and a, and b don't).
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 15:51
yu can't use custom debris,

in the models FPE file you specify

debrismode=1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

with each number specifying a certain debris mesh, 1 crates, 2 barrels and so on.

the thing is that you can't specify your own debris, only use the ones that come with it. I have already mentioned this to Lee and Rick, and have also added the neccessity for this feature to the feature creep post on FPE/FPI scripting by Airslide.

I personally think it's rediculous that we can't define our own debris meshes.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 16:43
Butter,
Glad to see you commenting on this. Errant had told me to contact you, so I thought you had a work around for it. I never got a return email, so just decided to move on.

Obviously as above I was only able to answer Higgins request of where it was.

Getting on with the debris types though, would it be possible if you didn't have 9 types in your game, to supplement your own meshes named as the TGC ones to produce and odd debris shape? Or is this something you can't change at all. I know it's something easy to try but I've just not had the time.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 17:15 Edited at: 9th Feb 2007 17:19
Quote: "in the models FPE file you specify
debrismode=1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9"

I cant remember for sure,but when testing this kind if thing,the above numbers were debris parts,as in 2 pieces or eight pieces etc with the debris shapes being called as Loc' says.It may be that this was due to crates having only six parts and say barrels having more parts and I just assumed they were working like this.
When creating the destroyable console I am sure I tried it and it worked like this,creating the parts from the mesh,I could be wrong and it was just an illusion,but I think it even textured the parts.
As the debris meshes exist,I dont see why you couldn't replace them with your own,might be worth taking them into your modeling program for a look.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 17:46
Quote: "supplement your own meshes named as the TGC ones to produce and odd debris shape"

Loc, your suspicions are correct, you can add custom meshes for your own debris through supplementation of the TGC ones BUT you will have to put them in place of an already created entity,

IE, instead of replacing the cylinder meshes with your new ones, I think you'll have to replace the cylinder itself with the model you want to destroy.

I don't know if thats very clear, but if you want a longer conversation on this, post back and I'll try and make more sense...

I've been scripting my worst fear for the last 2 hours, I'm a bit messy right now.!

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 18:22
I think ill model some custom debris now, and try it out. I wanted to know about debris, because I had an idea for my level, where a zombie breaks out of a fake wall when you pick up a key.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
You may be better trying to achieve this using an animated entity
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 21:39
Butter fingers,
I totaly understood what you were saying. I will go second or third your motion in Airslides thread, because I believe the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Thanks for explaining it all though.

(side note: When do you guys know anything about the Nvidia contest, I havent been keeping up with it, but I know the FPSc guys are over it.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:12:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:12:29