Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Cubed - Pattern based puzzle game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 22:06
I haven't really been up to much with projects since Christmas so I saw it as the perfect time to start on something

Anyway, this is going to be a puzzle game called cubed, I've sorted out most of the code and the HUD and it already looks promising, basically you have to make the 3d tiles on the left form the same pattern as the 2d image on the right by shifting tiles in particular way.

Here's a screeny:

I'm working on a demo which should be out sometime soon and in a moment I will give you some idea on my progress so far, but for now I need to take the dog on a walk...
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 23:49
That looks like a monster-version of my puzzle compo entry, Cubix. You should check it out.

I hope that board is the biggest it can get, and you start out smaller. : -)

How do you move the tiles, swapping? I don't see any empty space like the standard slide-a-tile. Looks cool.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 14:32 Edited at: 10th Feb 2007 14:33
Quote: "That looks like a monster-version of my puzzle compo entry, Cubix. You should check it out."

I just had a go at Cubix and it was cool It's just a shame I'm rubbish at it though

"Cubed" is quite similar to Cubix (including with the name ) but is different in how you move the tiles. I can honestly say that I didn't steal this idea from you as I didn't know about Cubix until now

Quote: "I hope that board is the biggest it can get, and you start out smaller. : -)"

Then you're in luck because that is the largest tile you can have, I would have posted something smaller but some of my screenshots wouldn't upload for some reason, you can have tiles in 4 different sizes at the moment:

- 4x4 grid
- 6x6 grid
- 8x8 grid
- 10x10 grid (As shown above)

You will be able move the tiles by swapping them although the swapping is more complicated than in usual games, you can click on the tiles and when you do the 8 tiles surrounding the one you click on will all shift around it in a anticlockwise/clockwise direction... I'm working on finishing the movement today, that will be one major leap towards making a demo.

Quote: "Looks cool"

Thanks
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2007 19:44 Edited at: 11th Feb 2007 17:42
Unfortunately, I'm going to remove the 4x4 grid, this is because it is harder to complete than the other levels (oddly enough)...

For now I'm going to work on improving the graphics and sorting out a main menu.

EDIT: Actually I think I need to strongly rethink the concept and theory for this game, I sorted out the clockwise movement but almost every level is impossible I'll majorly update this post / start a new one when the game is actually possible and a demo is ready, but for now I need to reconsider some of the parts in the game... I'm not going to give this game up, never. I'm too proud of the progress I have made with the coding to give up on it.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2007 01:36
Yeah the clockwise movement sounds like it would be very hard to complete.

You could do the standard slide-a-tile method like Cubix. Or you could do something like swapping tiles. But whatever you do keep at it, it looks good.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 18:26:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 18:26:00