Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I Need Help With A Clock

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So here's a problem. I am using a clock that is provided with DBC and I can't seem to texture it correctly. All I want to do is texture the white surface of the clock with numbers.

The picture I'm using is a circle with number 1-12 but it doesn't seem to want to work. It just colors the clock the background color of my bitmap. I tried scaling the texture and scaling my clock. I don't know what to do. I even tried moving the numbers around to try to see something. This is where I am now.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2007 05:40
This might help are you sure that limb 4 is the correct limb and have you checked that its not on the other side of the object when textured.

plus without the Clock1.X file no one can check it out.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
L B G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2007 15:22 Edited at: 16th Feb 2007 15:24
try just texturing the whole clock

and also to save time as opposed to writing out all this
load bitmap "Clock.bmp",1
get image 1,0,0,256,256
delete bitmap 1

you could just write out this
load image "clock.bmp",1

action script speaks louder than words
www.louisb.co.uk
Creator Of Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This might help are you sure that limb 4 is the correct limb and have you checked that its not on the other side of the object when textured."

I've thought of that but haven't had time to check it out. With my numbers across the bitmap I figure I would see something if it was wrapping around the back to the front.

Quote: "try just texturing the whole clock"

I'll try it.

Quote: "and also to save time as opposed to writing out all this
load bitmap "Clock.bmp",1
get image 1,0,0,256,256
delete bitmap 1

you could just write out this
load image "clock.bmp",1"

I heard that deleting the bitmap helped improve game play because it could start to bog things down.

I've posted a zip file of the clock, my texture and my code for it in a notepad document and in DB. I was messing with the scale and that's why that's there. I'm thinking that I'm making the texture too big.

I also have a Tower.X in there I made in Wings. I was having problems with it. It's not really a big concern any more but if you want to check it out you can.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 07:58
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 13:24
I've just looked at your clock model and it has no UV co-ordinates. This is why it won't texture. You can UV map it in wings or something like lithenunwrap.
If you like I can uv map it for you - just let me know.

The word "Gullible" cannot be found in any English Dictionary.
Creator Of Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
A 3D clock? I'll try it.

Quote: "You can UV map it in wings or something like lithenunwrap."

How? I have both of those programs. I can't figure out how to texture things in Wings and Lithenunwrap does not make sense to me.
I tried importing a .X file from the DB media files that came with it into Lithenunwrap and all I saw were a bunch dots and lines going everywhere.
The whole UV mapping this is confusing to me. I understand why objects need UV co-ordinates I don't know how to make them.
I would like to learn.
Creator Of Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
@Flashing Blade

Could you show me a tutorial somewhere on the web or tell me how to do it?

@Indi

Quote: "what about a 3d version?"

I tried running it. I've been having problems. I tried the code that was modified and now I want to go back to the original code to see if that works.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 03:28
For lithunwrap google "lithunwrap tutorial"

For wings:
Select Model, RMB->UV Mapping->Force Segment
Now look at the model like an piece orogami(sp?). Paint the faces in a way you would like it to unwrap - you have a few goes at unwrapping and you'll get the idea of what you need to do here.
For now just use - RMB->Segmant->Projection.
Now RMB->Continue->Projection Normal. Scale and move until you happy.
Now RMB->Create Texture. Then Window->Outliner. Go to the UV map in the outliner window, RMB->Make External and save.
Now load the UV map in your favourite paint package and do your artistic doodlings.

Creator Of Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. It sounds really confusing but I think it will make sense when I try it out with Wings or lithunwrap tutorial.
Can I import the clock into the program with it being an .x file?
I know I've had problems with that before when I tried.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2007 13:48
.x into lithunwrtap=yes
.x into wings=no (must convert 1st to something like .obj)

Creator Of Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
So I imported it into lithunwrap and followed a tutorial online. It was a video one I saw. I did exactly as it said but it woudn't show up when I when to preview the model. The screen would flash real quick and it would go away. I don't have the tutorial with me right now so I can't attach it. I will do that later unless you know what might be wrong. I just googled lithunwrap tutorial like you said and went to the first link, I think. And it was a video tutorial that textured a body with a checkers texture. I tried the same thing.

Does it matter if I texture it in lithunwrap? Did the tutorial I used make UV coordinates or is that why it's still not working?
Creator Of Darkness
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, here's the link...
http://spinner.northern-studios.com/tuts/lu_tut1.htm

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 19:13:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 19:13:32