Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / dBPro Community Project #2: Break-In Game

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 12:41 Edited at: 13th Feb 2007 12:49
This is the result of our most recent community project, A Breakout variant called Break-In. We managed to make the game skinnable by the use of Themes (4 are included for your viewing/playing pleasure.)

The game started with this original concept screen...

We had lots of fun with this one and there is still lots of work to be done, I hope someone will take over the mantle and continue this one.

Anyways, Enjoy.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 14:01
Grrr, Already a bug.. I included the wrong Brick_Dlg1.png. Sorry for the misshap, Please overwrite the old one with this new version.

Cheers!

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 14:59 Edited at: 20th Feb 2007 11:29
Here is an example of how to make a theme creating 3 bitmaps, Menu Button, Paddle and Background UI image.
I copied the game.ini from the pirate theme and edited the path info for the new theme images. then edited the 'BreakIn Menu.ini' to add a Menu Item 5.

I also used the editor to create 2 levels in keeping with the theme.

Here is a sample mockup of the new theme..

***Note this mockup has 'transparent bricks and 'special bricks' these are not yet implemented in the game.

Cheers!

P.S. Simply unrar the file into the Break-In game folder, it will create the Knight Theme folder and prompt you to overwrite the breakin menu.ini file.

Edit: Here is a template I made that you can use to turn any 800x600 wallpaper into a UI background. It's an alpha chanel .png so you should be able to overlay it over an underlying layer in your favorite paint program.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=1112222

If anyone wants to take a stab at putting together a quick tutorial on how to use this template, feel free. I use a Program called Artgem which is no longer available so a tutorial from me would be useless.

Edit V2.0 I'm surprised at how this project started with a BANG! and then stopped dead in it's tracks sinking faster than the titanic. and 70 views to this thread and not a single comment, wow, that's depressing, <sarcasm> It really shows how lively the lurkers are compared to the posters</sarcasm>

All I got left to say is 'Poo'!

Attachments

Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 18:22
Hey, nice job on this one to all of you
Wish i would take time to just try and contribute to one off thouse community projects one day...

The breakout mechanics worked realy great.! i was acctualy surprised when i first saw how the ball bounced from brik to brik.
And the graphics just work.!
One irretating bug thoug: Some times the ball moves UP on startup!, this is realy bugging me, i had to restart the game a few times, because i died for no reason..
Other wise a realy great breakout clone.

easy comes easy goes
Chris Franklin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2007 18:24
nice stuff

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 00:05 Edited at: 11th Apr 2007 00:16
Dave,

I had a few spare moments and did some more work on the game. I changed the score etc to a bitmap font (weak font but if you want to give it a go its 16x24.

I also added in some of the specials and multi hit bricks. Speed up, slow down, invulnerable all are in and multi hit bricks show cracks as you hit them.

I changed level 1 of classic mode to include some of these bricks. I want to move forward and complete this game, let me know if you are strill interested in it.

HL

Edit forgot the .rar

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 14:10
OK try #4 last few posts timed out.

I have added some more to the game, it now has loot bricks which not only give you points but more loot as well as a neat little effect when you hit them (currently they use the power up graphic till we make a more appropriate loot based one). I made 3 new levels for Classic mode to demonstrate the new features. Indestructable bricks now play a different sound as well.

I was thinking instead of a "power up" brick how about we let the player spend there loot to get power ups when they want, it will reduce the loot they have for more balls, but should add an interesting play strategy.

new rar attached, cut out the executables so you will need to compile yourself.

www.blackarrowgames.com/breakin2.rar
had to post offsite forum kept dying with upload

Till Later
HL

Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 22:36
Hope you complete it. Havent downloaded the latest version yet, but will check it out some time.

easy comes easy goes
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 01:03
Hi hobgoblin, nice additions to the game,.. an old glitch popped back in, there are strange green pixels on the bricks. I had fixed that by loading individual .png images instead of using the makebrick function for the specials. anyways. keep up the good work, nice to know someone is having fun.

Cheers!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 20:36:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 20:36:31