Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Alphabet and Numbers Kingdom

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 23:49 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 19:54
OK, this is my version. I liked Techno Valley's (Letter's Kingdom) idea for this type of game. It is for 4 to 6 years olds. I think somebody had also did something like this in the non-shooter game comp. Anyway, I have only looked at the first level of Letter's Kingdom and none of the one in the comp so that I can do it with my own ideas.

A bad ogre has stolen all of the letters and scattered them around the kingdom. Similar idea from The Letter's Kingdom. However, I have added games and puzzles using numbers as well as needing to search for other things. Of course, the kingdom will look different from that of The Letter's Kingdom which looks very good and I admire his creating his own custom models where I am not able to do. Again, I do thank Techno Valley for this idea. There will be several different characters within the game including the bad ogre and a good fairy who protects the player from the bad ogre and friendly and funny monsters.

Do not expect any custom graphics from me. However I am using any free custom graphics found on the forum. I will also be using model packs as well as models purchased from the GCS.

I am going to first show level 2. My Grandson has already played the first level, however, I've decided to completely redo it. I need to get level 2 done because he (Grandson) has been after me to get it done. To get started, the following is an image showing where the player starts in level 2.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 00:05 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 19:55
I am using Rolfy's grassterrain entity which spreads out almost over the entire map area. The problem with an entity terrain like this is that you cannot place characters (NPC's) on it as they do not play well together. If you do, you will end up seeing a bouncing character that will not do anything else but bounce. Pretty funny looking, though. The work-a-round is to place a type of static platform (entity not segment as you want to be able to adjust the entity until it is just below the grassy terrain) at the position you want to have a character. You have to play around with this to get it right.

Click on the view button to see a character that I have placed in such a manner. This is Bunty. He is a friendly monster who likes to be helpful. He has a very funny voice for a monster.

He comes with the Cartoon Fantasy pack (Model Pack #19). Also, the buildings and toadstools are from that pack.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 00:29
Very cool FL, and love to hear that the Grandson can't wait for it. Just promise me you won't have any Teletubbies!

Best.

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 01:18
Quote: "Just promise me you won't have any Teletubbies!"

yeah, those things scare the heck outta me now..... evil little creatures

but the level does look pretty good, and I can't think of a funner way of learning at that age....or now either......

the dark sky is sorta weird to me though, I would think a learning game would have a brighter skybox, but maybe since its affected by this "bad ogre" it makes sense.

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 02:40
Looks good; nice use of those models Stevie made. Your grandson should be pretty happy with it.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yeah, those things scare the heck outta me now..... evil little creatures"

Actually, the tallest one is about 7 feet tall.

Looks great FL! My only worry would be the framerate, how is it?
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 03:36 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 03:50
Thanks guys.

Quote: "Just promise me you won't have any Teletubbies!"

I had to google teletubbies to find out what they were. The GS never mentioned them before. He has always been into the super heroes since he was three. He is now five. So, you're safe. No Teletubbies.

Quote: "the dark sky is sorta weird to me though, I would think a learning game would have a brighter skybox"

I had been debating that. You are right I took into consideration the ogre because the player will be meeting the ogre for the first time in this level and the player has to go into his territory.

Each level will probably have a different sky unless it is indoors or in a cave. The next level will be in a cave that is underneath the castle.

Quote: "My only worry would be the framerate, how is it?"

That's always my worry as well so I do what I can to keep it as close to 38. I don't let it get below 30. I then work at finding out what is causing the slow down. I'm using v1.15 beta 2 and it seems easy to control the FR with this version. For me anyway.

When the player goes through the first toadstool archway it goes down slightly. When the player enters into the trigger zone on the other side there is a little jerking motion that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm using plrfreeze so it might have something to do with that. The player is frozen as soon as he/she enters into the zone.

Click on the download button to download a video (part 1) for this level. It is 1.17 MB. If you can't download something that large then click here for an MP3 (sound only) of this video.

For those who are downloading the MP3 here is an image of Bunty.

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 03:54
"I've got a secret, I've got a secret!"

Ka-chik..... BOOM!!! Oh yeah, not that kind of game. Sorry Bunty.

The voices are great FL. Really nice work.

Best.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 04:10 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 04:20
OK xplosys, I know! That is irritating to teenies and to adults and you probably would love to take him out; but kids love it in the 4 to 6 year old range.

I purchased Growler's GunCam. This was the only capture utility that would also capture the sound. FRAPS would not and I noticed FRAPS cut the FR too much. I tried one other one -- can't remember the name -- but it too would not record the sound. However, I have noticed that the sound is not in synch with the video. I'm hoping I can do some tweaking to make it better.

The second video (3.4 MB) is the player finding the treasure chest. Since I want to keep this as short as possible I went straight for the treasure chest. You will notice that the sound will start way before the player gets there. In real time the player is actually almost on top of it.

Does anybody recognize the treasure chest? It was made by one of the community members and I am grateful for his work and charity for giving it away free. I'll let you guess at first.

BTW, xplosys, you will be seeing some of your work along the way as well. Not in this level however.

Edit:

Thought I should show a pic of the treasure chest for those who don't want to or can't download the video.

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 04:58 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 04:59
@Krowsnest

I am rethinking the skybox. I am leaning towards finding something else. I have tried several already and will go back to them again.

OK here is the 3rd part (4.4 MB - seems to keep getting bigger) for level 2. Press the download button. Again to keep it as short as possible I went directly to the owners of this treasure.

I used plrdrop for this rather than having the player actually carry the treasure chest. Would have been awkward. Here is the script I used. It is assigned to the main of the treasure chest. You need to make sure that the parameter "Always Active" is set to "YES". This is in the Physics category of the item's parameters.

Here is also a picture of the dropped treasure chest. Before Lee got the plrdrop command working you had to do a work-a-round for this. Of course there are many uses for plrdrop.

Here is the treasure chests main script:

Attachments

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 13:03
Looks good so far!

But that pink/purple little friend sounds like butters from South Park

TechNo VaLLey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 14:44 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 14:45
F l a t l a n d e r ,

Wishing you all the best with the remake of this idea

I was always wishing to add new levels for numbers but didn't have time.

Techno VaLLeY
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 19:52 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 19:52
@Big Viking Games
Quote: "But that pink/purple little friend sounds like butters from South Park"

Really? I don't watch South Park so don't know. That voice is me with modifications. I recorded the text using a falsetto voice then played around with changing the speed. So, I really can't help that it sounds like that character.

@TechNo Valley
Quote: "Wishing you all the best with the remake of this idea "

Hey thanks, that is really kind of you. Don't worry about competing for dollars. This is only for my enjoyment for making it. It will only go to my Grandson and his friends if they want it.

I won't be using any video cuts when the player finds a letter (I really liked yours--well done). I will be using huds.

Quote: ". . . but didn't have time."

I understand about that. You have a family to support and creating games only with FPSC by yourself will not provide for them.

Dude232
Years of Service
User Offline
just wondering but will you add lighting to this or will you keep it in this style

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 23:10 Edited at: 18th Mar 2009 23:40
@Dude232
Quote: " just wondering but will you add lighting to this or will you keep it in this style"

First of all thank you for asking in a civil manner. Just telling me I need it would not set well with me.

Full Light mapping is on but that doesn't answer your question. For this level I will probably not add any lighting. I don't think it is really needed. I might play with where some kind of lighting would enhance a part of the map area. Dude232, maybe you could make a suggestion and I'll try it out.

However all indoor levels will have lighting and if I have any other outdoor scenes then it will depend on the outdoor scene. I'm not sure daylight needs any lights but again it will depend on the scene. If I have a night time level then I will probably use lighting.

I don't like to turn full shaders on because first of all it doesn't work very well with my video card and secondly most people I know will not have a really good video card either. My card is a NVDIA GeForce GO 7900 GS. I think it is the bottom of the line 7900 series. I'm not sre though. However, I am able to maintain between 30-38 frame rate on even this level. Drops to 29 only once and that is when the Bunty is talking to the player for the first time.

BTW, I have changed to another sky box. It will be seen in the next Video capture.

Addendum #1:

A problem I have right now with lighting is I don't know how to use it very well. Most of my educational games I have made for a local private school and the library system here did not require any lighting although I still made them with Full Light Mapping on and High resolution. The games I've been tinkering with other than that I would like to use lighting and I seem to have a real hard time getting it just right. Looks like when I need to seriously use lighting I will need to see if FPSC manual has anything useful on it as well as NickyDude's manual.

Addendum #2:

Out of curiosity I added a yellow light in the Toadstool archway. Click on view to see how this looks. I noticed that when compiling it hung a while on "threading" However, it did get through in somewhat of a reasonable time.

Also, you will see the skybox. This is TGC's natural RTF. Even though it is stock, I think I like it for this level. I wasn't looking at any of the stock skyboxes at first.

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 23:49
Click on view to see a scene away from the lighting. It does look nice but it looks odd to me that the sky is so bright and it looks so dark on the ground.

Attachments

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 00:07
FL, may I make a suggestion? It would look better(keeping the brightness on the ground consistent with the skybox, stuff like that) if you made a \"sun\", like this tutorial teaches you to. Attached is a result of that tutorial put to use. Just a suggestion.

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 01:06
@Dar13

Thanks for the comment.

That's what I thought. Dude232 was wondering about lighting. I originally didn't have any lighting and was just experimenting. I'll look at that tutorial though to see if it would work in this level.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 18:10 Edited at: 20th Mar 2009 18:10
I don't think I am going to use "sunlight" in this level. It is mainly because of the grassyterrain. Click on view to see why.

I do like this possibility and I think it can work very well in other types of "environments."

Attachments

Dude232
Years of Service
User Offline
the entities look fine with lighting but your right about the terrain

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 19:00
Yes, I agree, the entities do look fine and there is one small area of the terrain that also looks fine but there is way too much of it that doesn't. I'm not going to change the map as it would take to much time and I told my Grandson that I will have it ready for him tomorrow. I will be finishing it up in the next couple of hours. Will post a couple more items after that and then go to FPI EditPad and add a couple of new things.

I actually can't wait to be able to use the "sunlight" lighting in other outdoor scenes. Now that I know about it I can use terrain segments that will probably work much better. In other words, as long as they are seamless.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 04:04
I have been having an issue with audio/video being out of sync running capture programs. I am at a loss so far. However, I have a sort of work-a-round. It is not satisfactory however. I can't get the same size and the resolution is horrible. Looks like I will be continuing to experiment but I certainly don't want to take the time with it.

Anyway, if you click on the download (863 kb) you will see an example of what happens when the young player finds and picks up a letter. The letters have to be picked up in the proper order. So this is the last letter in level 2. I picked this one because it is somewhat funny.

Attachments

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 06:06
Lol.

Certainly makes a difference from the usual blood 'n guts.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 19:43 Edited at: 21st Mar 2009 19:43
Quote: "Certainly makes a difference from the usual blood 'n guts"

What's funny is that my Grandson knew that there is going to be a bad ogre in this game so he didn't want to play it. He wanted Grandma to play it and he spent most of the time under the table hiding from the Ogre.

After the player picks up the treasure chest and the three treasure piles, the player will see Bunty again in front of the castle. Click on the download (1.3 MB) to see a video of this encounter. After Bunty talks, then the invisible wall from the entrance to the ogres land is destroyed.

Attachments

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 19:46
Here is the encounter with the bad ogre. Click the download (2.5 MB) button.

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 20:06
Well, we certainly don't want to get hit over the head.... cause that would hurt!

Nice work FL. I'll write more when I get out from under the bed.

Best.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 20:17
Dammit! That hurt my head.

The game looks nice, I will make sure to play it.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 02:51 Edited at: 24th Mar 2009 00:52
This is my night job.

A computer man for a giant rodent.

Giraffe begins with the letter G.

Now how in the world did that giraffe get into the tree?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 00:56 Edited at: 24th Mar 2009 00:56
Level 2 is finished and am now working on level 3. It is the cave level. My Grandson said he wanted Goblins, spiders, bats and vampires in the cave. I said I can do that. Then he said make sure they are good goblins ... and ... maybe ... NO spiders, bats and vampires. He had played level #2 11 times over the weekend. I guess I would call that a success. However, he is still afraid of the big bad ogre and an adult has to go through the archway for him.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 02:15
You definitely need to release this, if he liked it as much as you say, then people would definitely buy it for their kids. Try to get it published by a small publisher. Even I want to play thi-I mean... I'm a big boy, I don't play little kids games, lol.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 02:21
Quote: "However, he is still afraid of the big bad ogre and an adult has to go through the archway for him."

That's so funny. Pretty cool too. You must be a very proud Grandpa.

Best.

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 12:28
Pah, that's nothin'. When I was a little nipper I was afraid of Bowser
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2009 12:36
Quote: "Pah, that's nothin'. When I was a little nipper I was afraid of Bowser "
Pfft, when I was little, I was afraid of the water levels on Mario64 because of that giant eel and the shark and stingray. The made me scared to swim in pools alone, LOL.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 07:01
Quote: "You definitely need to release this, if he liked it as much as you say, then people would definitely buy it for their kids."

He did. I'm not sure I will sell it though. But I do thank you for the suggestion. My wife really liked playing it and she's never played a game in her life.

We're in level 3 now (the caves). I have the cave already mapped out but I'm not totally done with the detail. However, I'm somewhat pleased with the lighting of the exit out of the cave which of course is the end of the game. Dude232 might like the lighting too. Again I thank Dar13 for guiding me to the light.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 12:39
I doubt he'll want to go into the cave alone, you'll probably end up playing that level 100 times again, so that he is assured there is nothing in the dark parts.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
...Or you could download the ally script and have a friend follow you around to "protect" you.

Either way, looks great!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 17:08 Edited at: 26th Mar 2009 17:21
Quote: "I doubt he'll want to go into the cave alone, you'll probably end up playing that level 100 times again, so that he is assured there is nothing in the dark parts."

You just might be right. I'll have his Grandma play it for him. I will have already played it 100s of times just in testing.

Quote: "...Or you could download the ally script and have a friend follow you around to "protect" you."

Might be a good idea. However, Therkahn, the guardian was there for the player to protect him from the ogre and that didn't seem to matter much.

BTW, my GS was just getting over a two week virus with intermittent high temps. when he played this. He had been a little skittish about a lot of things. He never really wanted to be alone at any time.

Addendum:

Regarding Therkahn. I didn't have her follow him in level two. I might just do that for level 3. However, it might be difficult since the player has to jump down layers and has the possibility to climb back up a layer. Character entity's will not follow the player up stairs or ladders. They will go down the stairs. I haven't tried to see if they will jump (or fall) through a hole.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2009 21:09 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 18:03
In the last level Bunty told the player that the entrance to the cave was inside of the toadstool house. The attached video (2.5 MB - download button) shows the inside this house. The gnome (Seaamros Cupshigh) -- who looks like he's in a Santa suit -- will address the player.

Addendum:

Video deleted because it is not relevant. I changed the inside of the toadstool house dramatically.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 03:39
The following download is for level #2. It is 64 MB. So if you have broadband, have fun. Especially Darimc!

http://www.olivetreegames.com/FPSC/tank/The_Alphabet_and_Numbers_Kingdom_level_2.zip

My virtual web server is not as fast as I would like; but, it might be because it is free with domain name. It took me about 10 minutes to download.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 04:35
Quote: "Again I thank Dar13 for guiding me to the light. "

No problem. It was my way of saying thanks to giving us FPIEditPad. That lighting is sweetic:amiga]

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 09:01
You know, I was looking forward to seeing the bad ogre... I was envisioning bond1's Dante roaring and flailing his arms around. But considering your grandson was scared of the one you DID use... I'm glad you DIDN'T go with Dante, for fear of traumatizing him and scarring him for life.

The game is absolutely wonderful, Terry! Keep up the excellent work!

I'm sure the levels to come will be just as great!

The one and only,

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
I downloaded, but all I got was a black screen when I tried playing it.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2009 17:11
My bad. I forgot to tell you guys that there are two setup.ini files. One named setup_mouse.ini and setup_xbox.ini. So, if you have an xbox controller delete the "_xbox" from that setup file. If not then delete the "_mouse" from the other setup file. I should have kept the mouse one as a default "setup.ini" file.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
I just played it.

It was pretty awesome to say the least. You should definitely have this published or something.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 09:48
I just played too. I'm tired, and because its late, I had sound down, and missed what you were supposed to do at first. I figured it out though. lol.

Also, maybe just remove the "Hurt HUD"? I, for some reason, had it alot. Pry some glitch. I would be walking down a hill and get it.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2009 18:10 Edited at: 29th Mar 2009 18:13
@puppy of kosh

Thanks for your vote of confidence. Maybe I will look into trying to find a "game" publisher.

@Apple Slicer

Thanks. Yes I was going to delete the hud but forgot. However, you can do that if you like because the script is available for editing.

Just go to the game folder and go into the following subfolder:

files\languagebank\english\gamebank\tank

Double click on setuplevel.fpi. This will load it into FPI EditPad. Then, either put a semi-colon in front of the following line or delete it altogether. It should be the tenth (10th) line down.

:state=0:hudreset,hudx=50,hudy=50,hudred=128,hudgreen=0,hudblue=0,hudsizex=1024,hudsizey=768,hudimage=gamecore\huds\eyehud.tga,hudhide=1,hudtype=2,hudmake=internal

TechNo VaLLey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2009 15:28
This demo level looks really beautiful. Cool sound editings

I've got the treasure put it right in front of the correct house. Is this the whole task in this demo level ?

I can't go inside one of the mushrooms in this level is this normal ?

Techno VaLLeY
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 02:58
Treasure chest is the first. Then there are three gold treasure piles to find and put in front of the correct houses. I can understand if you couldn't understand Bunty. My wife can't and she supposedly speaks fluent English. However, the Grandson could. I guess it's those keen young ears.

Once you find all the treasures then you will see Bunty again. It is then time to find the three letters -- E, F, and G.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 04:05
This looks great Flatlander!

PUNK IS BACK!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2009 04:18
Yea, Punk is back. Thanks.

I forgot to give my thanks to you, Techno Valley. So here's my thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 22:07:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 22:07:54