Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DBC Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 00:53 Edited at: 6th Sep 2009 00:54
Is there a good editor for DBC other than Dark Edit? Are there any level editors?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 03:20
I'm surprised you didn't pick up on this earlier. There's a whole page full of exactly the kind of thing you're looking for.

WINNER list:
Brick Break, Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK, TheComet
Thanks for the help!
pr0fess0r cha0s
Years of Service
User Offline
I knew about those tools. I was just wondering if anyone uses anything else.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 07:33
I use the default DBC editor, Blender & DarkMatter for my 3D content, Audacity for my sound, vanseam & GFIE for my textures, and my own in-house tools for level design.

WINNER list:
Thanks for the help!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 18:43 Edited at: 6th Sep 2009 18:52
@pr0fess0r cha0s
For an editor, you can use virtually any text editor for DBC. You just have to call the DB command line arguments to run the source or convert it into an exe. You can find details about the command line options in the help folder in the dark basic directory on your hard drive. Look for the file compiler.html

For more IDE like editors that allow sysntax highlighting, macros, color selection, hex editing/viewing, I like Source Edit for any large projects. You can find discussion on this and other editors in the following:

IDE discussion

I had looked at NotePad++ in the past but can't remeber why I didn't download it. It looks quite promising so take a look:
Notepad++

As far as level designers, Robert The Robot put together a couple of nice apps: Lightning Limbs and Lightning Lights. Lightning Limbs is an animator for DBC. Lightning lights is a scene creator/light setup utility for DBC.

A pretty straight forward level editor/3d Modeler is Deled 3d. The lite version is free and extremely easy to use. It imports and exports models in the .X format for use with DBC. I haven't used Deled 3D for some time, so it's probably evolved beyond a world creator; but it's original function was quick 3D level design.

There's a program written for Blitzbasic called Maplet. It's a level designer that will export the level to .X format. It's sort of old school in that it uses only primatives (cubes, sphere's, etc) to design environments and uses CSG to carve shapes from two or more objects. It even allows lightmapping but you have to do a little juggling to get it to work with your .X exports.

Blender is my modeler/animator of choice though texturing well is still a mystery to me! This is a heavy hitter and takes time and use to make things happen.

Follow this link for a couple of interesting animations that I did in Blender and converted for use with DBC (Oh how vain I am! )

Animations

Enjoy your day.
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 22:48
Latch, I have had so much trouble with Blender and DarkBASIC- please share your Python scripts! Please! The one that converts bone to limb animation sounded really cool, and Blender can't export animations correctly for DBC. Please share! You're my favorite forum member, and you do all of these amazing things! If you post your Python scripts, I'll post the source and media from every project I've ever worked on in DarkBASIC ever! I need to be able to animate for my games! Oh please oh please! Latch!

WINNER list:
Thanks for the help!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 16:53:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 16:53:42