Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Christmas competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2009 18:50
Christmas is comming up and activity is rather scarce on the music board. Since the last music competition went rather well and indeed accumulated quite some activity among the musicians here, I thought the time was right to play that card once again.
Also, some new users have entered the music board during the last year and a half, so maybe we can even beat the last entry count of ten!

This isn't really a set challenge, so feel free to speak up over the next few days, but here is my humble proposition:

Theme
No, your entry does not have to be a christmas carol.
However, something reminiscent of the winter season would be nice. That is of course a personal interpretation, so yes; you can enter pretty much anything. But if other people get Christmas / winter vibes from hearing it as well, I would say that's a pro.

Judging
Since I would like to join in myself, provided I can find the time, I won't be judging this. I propose the simple post-your-vote system utilised in the last competition.
Contrary to the last time though, I think all user should have the right to vote, and not only the contestants. This might even entice new users to check out the music board, if advertised cleverly.

Deadline
This could do with some input from you as well.
I'd propose that all songs are to be entered up until December 24:th (2009), whereafter they will then be presented, so that nobody gets the benefit of having his / her song heard and analysed for a longer time than anyone else (pretty much like the last time).
So, that means the songs will be made available in time for Christmas, however the voting will not be done by then.
I suppose one might reason that the voting as well should be done by yule, but that will give us a bit of a tight composing schedule, realising that most people have other projects going on as well. Using what is stated above, we should have 40 days, starting today.
As said, please state your oppinion on this.

Entering process
Like last time, entries can be e-mailed to me, whereafter I can put them up for high-speed download once the ending date is in.
Should songs be entered anonymously, like last time (although some people, myself included, didn't perceive this until after entering ) or not? - I suppose we aren't really biased enough to need anonimity, right?
If everybody is fine with this, I will edit in the specific e-mail adress here later.

Entry format
The entered songs should be provided as wma or mp3 files no larger than 12Mb in size. Preferably, the bit rate should be at least 192Kb/s; 256 or 320 being the best.
The song length is rather irrelevant, but it should be an actual song, so let's say at minimum 1:30.

Prizes
Just to be clear on this from the beginning, there will only be one prize, possibly divided into three; the honour.
No more, no less.
Well, maybe the winner can get to set the next music competition as well, if he would like to.
Yep, that's right; no money, no copy of Vienna Symphonic Cube, no washing machine, nor a bathtub will be presented the winner.

Well, that's about it.
Now let me hear your thoughts!

Cheers,
Rudolpho

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2009 23:59
I don't think anonymity is really necessary. Also I'm not sure about the whole all getting uploaded at once thing - couldn't everyone just post them up here in a window of time (say 14-20 Dec) then have voting (21-24 Dec) then results 25 Dec. Possibly. And have some sort of no posts except entries in the first time slot, no posts except votes in the second sort of thing going on.

"The fools may crash down upon us in thunderous waves, but we shall Jeku slap them back from whence they came"
-BiggAdd Oct 28th 2009
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 00:22
Well, the download speed of attachments on this forum is just displeasing for large files such as music. Also, it takes the (very slight) possibility that someone decides to change his entry midway through out of the equation.

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
I just made a improvisation sort of Christmas, which I find quite funny.

Its like a rush for Christmas or chasing crazy Satan on speed...hehehe!.It does remind me of the Film of "Home Alone"

Anyway hope you like

Used Nexus and Omnisphere

Thanks

NGX

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd probably participate, but wouldn't it be sufficient to use the forums to host the files?

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 20:39
As said I find it annoying to spend 2, 3 minutes downloading a song, but sure, it would of course work.

Doesn't look like too many are interrested though

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
2 - 3 minutes? Wow, that seems a bit slow. It usually takes me only about 30 seconds to download 3 - 4 megabytes here.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 23:53
Yeah, well, my 320Kbit/s songs are usually around 11Mb, so...

Usually, I get around 60Kb/s download rate from here, which means that even a 4Mb song would take (4 * 1024) / 60 ~= 68 seconds.
I don't think it's my connection, since it works well otherwise, so I figured it would be the same for everybody else. Maybe it isn't though; I'm no internet expert.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2009 23:28 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2009 23:45
Well, I guess we didn't get any competition going.
Here's my Christmas / winter song and would-be entry though.

Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
Rats, I missed this thread! It was a good idea too. If we can get other some people to notice, maybe we could start another competition?

BTW, your song sounds great! Like a real orchestra. Is the voice from a sample pack?

Only crit I can give is on the timpani. When it comes in at "0:39", it sounds a little artificial.
Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a track I made with the sounds of Balloons and a toy glockenspiel.

http://www.hybridtwo.com/files/daniel/Gnomehammer%20Divide.mp3

Dan

Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 11:34
@Junkrock: That was cool!

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 18:12
Yep, pretty cool.

@Lemonade: Thanks. The voice is synthesized using Yamaha's Vocaloid system. By its own it sounds kind of flat, but add some reverb and equalisation and the result sounds almost realistic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:43:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:43:14