Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Leongamerz

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 16:58 Edited at: 24th Nov 2010 18:53
D0MINIK this looks absolutely amazing!!

I haven't been to this community for quite sometime and neither will I come for another month or so.

Judging from those screens and details, you are expanding this game even beyond VBOTB and commercial standards!

Abdul Ahad

ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 18:50
This game has many unique features which make it seem less like an FPSC project and more like when Valve started production of Half-Life 1. In short, doubts are there throughout development but in the end you will arrive at sheer perfection. Keep up the good work, I am so far astounded with your work. You should apply for it to become a steam indie game once it is finished!

www.thoughtwire.co.uk
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah, thanks for your encouraging comments!

Quote: "you are expanding this game even beyond VBOTB and commercial standards! "

I doubt that, but thanks

Quote: "You should apply for it to become a steam indie game once it is finished!"

Nice idea. However, I'm not a fan of Steam

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 00:47 Edited at: 6th Dec 2010 00:48

Feedback Imp #1

In our last news post we made a promise - the promise to take a break and implement some of the community feedback given to us. Well... here we go: This is the Feedback Imp #1!

The probably greatest wish was we'd cover the boxy rooms a little with more entities and debris, add more detail. So we decided to take this point at first and give it a try. You can see the results below: We've made comperative screenshots, taken from similar angles and points of view as some of our older shots. The older shot always comes firt (before), than the latest shot (after).

You can see what we've done: We added quite a few grass tufts to cover the floor, and added planks and other objects to fill the room. The ceilings were given additional cables, tubes and rocks. However, we had to watch our framerate, and our first test were... well, a little over our head: We had a stable framerate of about 17 - not exactly the desired outcome! So the changes are rather decent, we know and see that. We hope you nevertheless do like what you see. We are still open for ideas about (decent) changes to the already existing ones.

As we stated before, we are aware of the overall remaining boxyness of the rooms, but we don't wish to change the whole level layout for this game as the gameplay feels right to us, and we do not wish to kinda completely redraw what we got done so far.

Imp #2

The next step will be a review of our existing lighting system and possibly modify the colours of the lights to more saturated colours. We are not 100% sure whether this is what we wish the game to become, so take it as an experiment we will definitely report about when it's finished. Then we will see whether it has a positive outcome that should be kept for the future development, or if we should rather reject it. Like this update.

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 01:22
Nice man... how's the rpg coming

signatures are dumb.....
idk why....
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 11:07 Edited at: 6th Dec 2010 11:41
Quote: "how's the rpg coming"

Ladies and Gentlemen.... we've got a running gag

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 09:36
D0MINIK this is looking amazing as usual!

So yeah like OG said, how's the rpg coming along?

Abdul Ahad

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline

Feedback Imp #2

The show must go on: Here comes the Feedback Implementation #2.

The experiment I stated last news post about re-arranging the lighting colours has surprising outcome, for me. While at the first glance, it was a bit strange to move through such highly coloured scenes, it appears to me to that the whole scenery looks much more interesting on the long run. Here are three pictures, of differently coloured scenes:

You have probably already guessed yourself: These are blue, green and red. The difference in the mood of these screens is quite interesting, I hadn't expected such a change. The colours of the lights had a saturation of 28 each before, and now I've raised them all to have a saturation of 96. What do you think?

Imp #3

We're nearly done with this first Feedback Imp Phase, but there is a last remaining point: The city environment, which could use some rain and a darker skybox according to the collected feedback. I doubt that the framerate (which appears to be at the absolute limit already) can take the addition of rain, even with decals, but we'll have a try and then see how it turns out.

JaredxD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 08:00
The saturated lights definetely add to the atmosphere of the game, which is great!

Im loving that this game has gone through a years dev. and you guys are still working on it!

Keep it going guys!

Boom.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
I personally would rather like to see it already finished

But thanks for the kind comment, we'll try our best!

Nazareth Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 22:15
great looking game

Tomb Time: Out Soon
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2010 23:12 Edited at: 13th Dec 2010 23:14
Ah you spelled the title wrong!! Instead of the "Xa" you need to put a "Go" and then remove the "E" and then add a "C" before the "K"

Haha jk it looks good!
OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 04:13
Quote: "Ladies and Gentlemen.... we've got a running gag "

No... the rocket propelled grenade...

signatures are dumb.....
idk why....
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 08:27 Edited at: 14th Dec 2010 08:27
Heheh, Gorlock

Quote: "No... the rocket propelled grenade..."

A running gag, anyway
There will probably be no flak guns within the game.

Thanks for your nice words, guys!

OutdoorGamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 22:47
lol. Oh well.

signatures are dumb.....
idk why....
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline

Feedback Imp #3

Last but not least, our Feedback Implementation Phase has come to and end, with good and bad news: Here comes the Feedback Imp #3!

New Skybox

Let's start with the good news: As requested, we have modified the old skybox. Below are two comparative screenshots, one of the old sky (which is probably already well known by now), and below the new sky, which is much darker, and has decent stars behind the clouds.

This creates a much better night effect than the old skybox did. Which may appear quite obvious to you, but when you work on a project with all your heart, it's sometimes difficult to judge especially the obvious things. So thanks for the feedback here, we're glad we've implemented it.

Rain Effect

This is the bad news: We already told it would come this way, and our prophecy turned out to be true - we added a decent rain effect to the whole city level, and the framerate did not survive the operation. So, in order to revive it, we had to remove the weather effects, and the city will have to remain without any rain at all. However, this is not a heavy setback in our eyes, as the weather effect would have been nice eye candy on the one hand, yes, but on the other hand, Xarelok isn't really about high-def graphics, anyway.

New Levels

As the major feedback has been implemented now, we'll move on with level design, and keep working on the campaign. So what, no more feedback needed?! - No way! We are still happy to read all of your comments and critics, that won't change. Xarelok is far from being finished. As before, we'll write every idea and comment down, and keep it for the next implementation phase.

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 17:26
I wonder why no one comments on this amazing project!!!

Sad to hear about the rain, but it still looks great, especially with the new skybox!!!

Looking forward for more stuff

Abdul Ahad

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 22:35
maybe you could add fog or something instead of rain
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 22:44 Edited at: 19th Dec 2010 22:45
Quote: "I wonder why no one comments"

I assume many people are being very busy with their own projects

Quote: "maybe you could add fog or something instead of rain "

Cool, interesting idea!

@AbdulAhad
@Hamburger

Thanks!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm... this game is looking very interesting. I first though it was a multiplayer shooter but I see its a single-player experience. Nice work so far!

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 01:21 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 01:22

New Year Screens

First of all: We wish a happy and successful new year to all of you, gamers and developers! We are looking forward to 2011 with hope and enthusiasm, and we hope you do that, too.

Now, let's get on topic: For us, at the end of last year, it was about time to take up the level design again and create new playable content after a long period of 'only' improving existing content. Today, we'd like to show you a few screenshots of the results:

These scenes take place inside the Military Technology Center of the cruel Worrajug Empire. The campaign will lead you to this place after you've escape the mines. Here, you'll be able to grab the Mini-Gun and get some real action to the battlefield.

New HUD

I've got the feeling we've been telling you for years now (that can't be true, I know) we'd improve the existing HUD. Actually, this will be the next step we take, so expect upcoming screenshots to have a hopefully better Heads Up Display.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Really bad news: I feel honestly sorry and ashamed to announce this project is dead. This means I have made promises that I couldn't keep. We feel we don't meet the criteria we expected to meet, and we believe it's better to disappoint you now rather than later with a release that's not fun.

Although I guess this won't already ruin your year...

I wish to honestly say

Pardon, friends.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 16:02 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 16:03
Quote: "I feel honestly sorry and ashamed to announce this project is dead"

Wow! I honestly admit, although (whispered in a boish voice)"I see dead WIPs" all the time , I didn't see this one failing. And I have to acknowledge, that you didn't come up with some ridiculous excuse at least.

I sincerly hope you can still salvage from this project enough achievements and inspiration, to create something new - or maybe you'll finish Xarelok when the right mod or the right engine upgrade has come along, to make things work in the way you need them.

On a personall note, I have been been re-affrmed on 2 things:
1. I'll continue to work in privacy on any scripts, media and levels until they are ready for release. It will save me a lot of embarassement
2. It really is a waste of time to comment screenshot threads

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:51:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:51:36