Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / My AK74U Gold with texture please comment

Author
User Banned
Posted: 29th Apr 2011 22:09
Sorry, guys I had something come up, but I am back. I have added a texture to my model and it took a little bit before it was somewhat where I wanted it at! I still plan on working on the texture a little more, but here are some screen shoots of my model with texture. I have provided an in gameshot, texture from blender and paint.net as well as the UV Map, I made. I still need to add the hands, sounds and animation, and I will post those screenshots as I get the time, but please comment on my texture both positive and negative comments, it just builds character and I am willing to learn more from the pros of modeling.

[

Uploaded with ImageShack.us]null[/img]

[

[

[

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 05:33
Why did you start another thread for the same project? You could have just updated your first one here.

Anyway, you've got quite a bit of wasted space in your UV map that you could use to sharpen out the edges a bit. Other than that, I would recommend working on a normal AK74 texture, and then tweaking the hue/saturation values to get a gold effect, rather than cover up your original texture work with a yellowish-gold cloud, which covers up a lot of your texture detail in the process.

See here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=184153&b=21

Kravenwolf

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 06:57
Kraven

Thanks for the comment, yea I am still playin around with paint.net guess it's just something I will have to tweak here and there, i will update a new texture on Monday and tell me what you think, thanks again!
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 1st May 2011 15:50
Kraven

I guess you where right about my texture? A lot of people have looked at my texture but no one comments, guess it looks like crap so I will make sure I redue the texture, cause I really need comments to see if I am on the right track, o well back to the drawing board, and If a mod looks at this thread can you please move it to my original thread where it says AK-74u complete please comment that might be why I am not getting any comments?
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 18:03
Hi there, Here are my two cents:

do not use a cloud modifier, without modifying it.

I would first start with a base color, say yellow in this case
then i would use a cloud modifyer on a ind layer and lowering the opacity

then on the third layer a noise modifyer, also on low opacity.

then i would paint out scratches using a burn or dodge tool.

these are all available in PS CS3, howeve ri noticed you were using paint.net
if thats any good then it should have all those tools available.

Keep on it and you will get better, look up a few tutorials online =)

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 22:45 Edited at: 1st May 2011 22:45
If you're using Paint.NET it would beneficial to download some plugins for it.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/7-plugins-publishing-only/

Vent

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2011 23:23
there is a basic metal tut on my site it may help you a bit

cheers henry

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 2nd May 2011 00:17
Thanks guys for the comments and tips, I will try them out then redue the texture and perhaps I will have a better quality product to show off, u guys have been a big help, thanks again!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 02:51 Edited at: 2nd May 2011 02:52
I would say that you should not add the golden pattern to the handle and the grip as these would most likely not be colored

http://images.wikia.com/mafiawars/image/1/13/Saddam%27s_Golden_Gun.jpg

It is also not necessary to add "please comment" to the threads title

-Wolf

I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors.
http://serygalacaffeine.deviantart.com/
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 2nd May 2011 03:50
Hey guys!

I have taken ur advise and re did my texture on comments and recommendations, from a few of you. I also have gotten the Poly count under 3000 so its coming along pretty good? Please comment on what you think and any recommendations will be appriciated, I merged this weapon with another animation just to show the side view of the weapon in-game I still need to finish the hands and my animation, for it to be complete. But first thing is first once I get an okay from you all and fix the changes you think I need to make, I will start the hands next and then the final step the animation. I have provided some new screen shots of my AK-74U Gold the defuse map, the weapon with texture, my UV Map and an in-game screen shot.

[

[

[

[

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 08:03
looking alot better, not a fan of the golden thing, but thats my personal opininon, nothing to do with quality x)

so whats happening with the grip? its all black as of now, needs color^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 09:21
The texture looks rather low quality in your in-game shot, imo. What's the res of your texture map? Or do you have some texture reduction going on in FPSC?

Kravenwolf

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 3rd May 2011 17:15
Okay guys.

I have finished my hands for my gun, I used my own hands in building it. here are some screenshots of the hands I made, I have an in-game screenshot of the hands attached to my weapon, I merged them with another model just for presentation use only, I still will need to record some gun sounds using my wavpad and do the animation, I have some screen shots of my hand front, back, defuse map and UV Map from blender for your review, please comment on what you think and any recommendation, once I finish the weapon I will upload it into the TGC Game store for a FREE download so you guys can check it out and reply back here on what you think, I thank you all for the help in getting me thus far, I don't think I could have done it without you all, thank again. I will be looking forward to the comments both positive and negative.

[

[

[

[

[

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2011 17:58 Edited at: 3rd May 2011 18:01
Quote: "I will be looking forward to the comments both positive and negative. "

"The texture looks rather low quality in your in-game shot, imo. What's the res of your texture map? Or do you have some texture reduction going on in FPSC?"

Also,

Quote: "I have an in-game screenshot of the hands attached to my weapon, I merged them with another model just for presentation use only"

Quote: "I will upload it into the TGC Game store "

Make sure when you do, the model/mesh you merged your work with also belongs to you (if I'm intepretting it correctly), or you create a new set of player hands that is 100% your own work, or else you will be in the same position you ended up in the first time. I wasn't aware that you still had a store account with TGC, I thought once you breach their contract, your account is terminated?

Kravenwolf

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 3rd May 2011 18:10
the hands are my own, I used my hands and a pair of gloves I own I used projection painting, and the modeling I found a good tutorial on youtube how to make hands its pretty simple, just can't remember right off the top of my head the name of it, but someone sent the link to me in this thread for that tutorial, in making the hands, and for the quality of the weapon this is really the first time I am using paint.net and I guess it will take sometime to get a quality image out of it, I am still working on making the texture a little better, but if you got some ideas for me on how to make it better? I am all ears. And for the contract, I spoke with them on the issue and told them I was sorry, they said I can still sell with them as long as the work is my own, and they said since I made no money it was a lesson learned, they said a lot of the top modelers when they first started modeling made the same mistake, and they learned from that mistake and are now making some quality models on their own.
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 5th May 2011 18:24
Hey guys

I just wanted to update u on my progress, I have recorded some gun sounds and I am currently working on the animation this is the part that is going to take the longest, I want to make the movements as realistic as possible so I figure it's going to take at least a week or a little more depending on the time I have to work on this, once I have it complete I will upload it to the TGC store for a free download, then after you download it comment here so I can see what you have to say about it, however once I download it of course it will take the TGC however long it takes them to get it posted, that may be a few days depending on their workload? We will just have to wait and see I will tell you all when I have done my part in the uploading process so then u can start looking for it from time to time, thanks!
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2011 23:58
Hey guys

For my animation I will be using fragmotion, and the technique I use is not all that difficult if anyone is interested in my technique and and how I animate in fragmotion I will share it with u all if anyone request it!
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Texture needs alot of work, probably worth looking at racers new tut http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445

---
xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
IMO your texture was better with the cloud effect. if I were you I would try doing it with More alpha.

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2011 17:23
Hey guys

I have been playing around with paint.net and gimp and I have found gimp to have better options in texturing then gimp plus you have a lot more options with texture effects in gimp then paint.net, so I am asking you all what is the better program? Gimp or paint, I have already finished all the bones and rigged them to my weapon, just got to finish the animation of those rigs, but before I post it on the TGC game store I want to get my texture looking more realistic so if anyone knows of any good texturing tutorials that can help me speed up this proccess I would appreciate the helps, thanks in advance guys, one thing I have learned is that there is a lot more to making a weapon then just the modeling, what I have down good is the modeling, uv mapping, rigging and animating and of course getting it FPSC ready, it's just getting a more realistic look to my texturing!
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 03:31
Gimp is easily a lot more powerful than paint.net The only time I use paint.net is for very basic picture editing, and exporting as .dds

Poloflece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2011 10:51 Edited at: 10th May 2011 10:52
I think what you should do is make the gold a bit more transparent, then use a large brush (that fades out around the edges. with a low opacity to erase certain areas of the gold (provided it is all still in layers), making it look less flat and more realistic.

Poloflece

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2011 22:48
Ok guys

After playing around with paint and gimp, I found out that it is good to use them both, I use the paint for a base color and the bump effect and gimp for the scotches and more detail, by using them together I don't have to remember as much, so with that said I will finish my texture in a day or two and then finalize my animation soon as that is done I will place it in the game store for a FREE download so you can tell me if everything is okay and if so I will be placing more weapons in the store as I finish them and the only reason this one is taking some time I am taking recommendations and adjusting them accordingly so I have a fairly nice weapon for you all. Of course they will get better as time goes on this is just a test run, but I am trying to give you all the best I can so it at least looks real and fun to use, but I am new to this I have modeled before but mainly just for myself, I have learned a lot from all of you so thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 06:25:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 06:25:55