Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Kickstarter?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 15:30
Facebook as a gaming platform is declining or dying. Users got tired of the constant spamming of messages and that was also a huge part of the success of the games, free marketing. Using HTML5 for mobile development has to my knowledge not been successful. Facebook have moved their app to native. The only use I see for HTML5 is for releasing games on the web for PC and Mac. I have no idea of how popular that is, nor how I as a small developer can monetize it. Would work for demos and free games. I see little point in adding it to AppGameKit at this point.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 17:14
Yes, i agree with you!!

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "go out and look for investors who would advertise things properly. rather than following people in the forum who most of them young and still asking their parents for money."

In recent years I've felt that TGC could definitely improve its marketing/funding outside of the community. In the past, they had excellent working relationships with very profitable and public companies. When working on FPSC X10, TGC and Intel announced a partnership and Intel helped promote the product. They worked with Nvidia on PhysX stuff and held that competition with prizes donated from Nvidia. There was also the relationship with Microsoft to bundle DBGDK with Visual Studio.

I wish TGC could find some outside investor to help fund the future of AGK. If cheaply made standalone apps like the now defunct 'Color' can secure $41,000,000 in funding by investors before it was even released, I can't believe AppGameKit can't raise at least a tenth of that by an outside firm.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 18:55
Hi all,

The Kickstarter has been submitted and is Pending. We'll post details as and when it's approved by Kickstarter HQ.

Thanks for all your feedback on this.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 19:22
Ok we will wait it will be approved!!

Long life to Steve!
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 22:39
Start the Kickstarter already! The ones opposing it, can just ignore it and deny that it exist, they don't have to contribute.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 23:37
I have just published an eBook on (simple) browser game programming as an amusing way to learn JavaScript, DOM, CSS...and HTML5/Canvas. My little experience is that at present there are performance and browser cross-compatibility issues. Simple HTML5 games can be played on tablets as Galaxy and iPad using touch controls (I have tested on my wife's iPad and my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1). BTW it is very satifying to play a game without paying a single cent to Apple for licences and Mac stuff. WebGL has many more compatibility issues, so, at least for now it is not viable, and the choice of TGC to pursue WebGL for FreedomEnging has clearly anticipated the times.
So I agree that now HTML5 is not the priority. But it is clear, at the same time, that HMTL5 is the future for web apps, maybe not mainly games, but there are a lot of applications.
Think of webRTC, web Realtime Communications, based on HTML5:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC
Priorities should be to make T1 and T2 AppGameKit commands to work better, improve T1 compiler and IDE, and add support for Windows 8 and DirectX. And also Ouya supports seems promising.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 01:46
Rick:
What happened to sharing a KS preview for us to comment on?

I am also a bit curious about TGC's stance on Ouya. Their Twitter feed alone is over 40.000 followers, they have been to E3 and are available in stores next week. I think that is a big opportunity to bring in backers. As you may know they are one of the most successful KS projects with over 60.000 backers and almost 8.6 million USD.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Will we be able to see a preview version of the Kickstarter before it goes live?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
After reading through all of the wants of the community I feel rather set apart I rely heavily on the 3D commands and see no use for the examples in help files (although it's a great idea to allow community members to do it as it saves time ). Certainly isn't something I dislike, but I'd never use them because most commands, I feel, are quite straightforward to begin with.

swis
Interstellar
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 13:47
Hi, the wheels are in motion now. I would expect Kickstarter to approve us in 2-3 days. We have tried to accomodate as much of the feedback as possible and we continue to add to AppGameKit as we move forward.

The funding window will be a 45 day period. We are looking for a relatively low threshold for the first phase of development with other features listed as stretch goals.

All will be revealed next week.

In the meantime grab yourself a Beta 14 and let Paul know if there's anything else buggy that's holding us back.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2013 14:17
Would love to try the new beta and the Apk building. But I need to get back to coding and will do so with 107.6. I know what I get with that. But I know I have to make the move soon. I look forward to seeing the Kickstarter.

If I understand your original description, you intend to Kickstart the first paid for update for AGK. So the backers would get it at a lower price. If that's what you are planning then it sounds promising.

Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
I get grumpy and frustrated with bugs but I actually like AppGameKit and will pay to help it trundle along.

See you at the Kickstarter.

PS: I think it's better to keep your stretch goals hidden until they are within range of being activated/reached. That makes people "bite" to hit the next closest stretch goal. If you list everything at once the task seems enormous and people just hang on to their money.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I am not in a position to fund a Kickstarter unfortunately, but I would if funds allowed. I try to support TGC by helping in the forums whenever I can. I also am staring doing a few tutorials to help show how great a product it is by example. Hopefully gathering some new users who take an interest. There are lots of tutorials out there for other products, but not many so far for AGK.

I do find myself dissapointed that HTML5 is still not supported, as it was promised in the initial release. It was the reason I bought AppGameKit, Android, Iphone etc were not really a concern. I was just a DB user, who wanted to write apps that could work on a web browser. It can be done, Unity has the capability, and is not slow by amy means. It doesn't use HTML 5, as far as I know, but is fast, and very impressive on a browser. But I do hate the language Unity uses. Perhaps TGC should consider a similar option if HTML5 is not up to scratch?

Anyway, good luck with the Kickstarter. I am sure there are many programmers out there who would like it, but have never seen it, or are too snobbish to try.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 15:58:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 15:58:16