Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 02:58 Edited at: 25th Jan 2014 13:20

Welcome to the (new) My Little Pony thread for TGC. You may be wondering why this predominantly adult male forum even has such a thing. In which case, you've probably been living under a rock in internet terms.

Suffice to say, the people here all agree the My Little Pony you may have seen in the 80s to 00s was terrible. Absolute horrific rubbish. What we like to watch, is the new Friendship is Magic series. Made by Studio B, and Lauren Faust (wife of Craig McCracken, creator of Powerpuff Girls and Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends). This... is a LOT better than the intellectual property it's based on deserves.

If you're new, make sure you've seen the first two episodes. These aren't the series' strongest episodes, but do introduce characters and settings in the best way. Yes, oh lords it's true, My Little Pony actually has tangible characters now. Oh look, a flying pig!

Enjoy, and feel free to post comments on how gay we are here. We'll happily report you for your troubles.

Episode Reference

Season 1 (26 Episodes)

Season 2 (26 Episodes)

Season 3 (13 Episodes)

Season 4 (26 Episodes)

Season 5 (unknown # of episodes)

Fan Works
Any fan works that you want added? Let me know and I'll add it!

Button's Adventures
00 - Pilot

Friendship is Witchcraft
Dailymotion links are included for those who are unable to view
the YouTube versions.
01 - The Perfect Swarm [Dailymotion]
02 - Read it and Sleep [Dailymotion]
03 - Dragone Baby Gone [Dailymotion]
04 - Cute From The Hip [Dailymotion]
05 - Neigh, Soul Sister [Dailymotion]
06 - Lunar Slander [Dailymotion]
07 - Cherry Bomb [Dailymotion]
08 - Foaly Matripony [Dailymotion]
09 - Seed No Evil [Dailymotion]

Double Rainboom
Snowdrop
Epic Pie Time
Epic Cupcake Time

Canterlinks (bad pun I know)
Anything you want added to this list? Let me know and I'll add it!

Websites
Equestria Daily
MLP Forums

Brony Musicians
The Living Tombstone
WoodenToaster
General Mumble
Alex S.
Mic the Microphone
MandoPony
AcousticBrony

3D Render by Rolfy:

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 04:42 Edited at: 1st Oct 2013 04:48
Yay! Woo!

I guess I'll stick around after all. When Green Gandalf said he'd read two random pages from our old thread to get an unbiased opinion I went to those pages too and got hit by a big wave of good ol' nostalgia.

After all, THIS was my first real interaction with likeminded pony-fans. I had become part of the herd mere weeks before that, had watched all episodes up to that date (and probably lost lots of sleep over that), had started watching the new eps in livestreams when they aired (it was around the time "hearth warming's eve" aired around christmas 2011. I remember I actually sort of teared up a little towards the end of that one, if I'm totally honest (and I shall be just that). I dunno, it just got to me at the time.
I delved head-first into fan-made content, totally overwhelmed by the tons and tons of amazing fanart, music/remixes by the fans and fan-fics. Such an inspiring, encouraging environment. I'm sure other fandoms are like this too, but it felt pretty darn special. I mean, really, before that, who'd 've thought this would exist?! And that we are a part of this? I surely didn't.
Then, while reading a certain awesome fanfic I thought "Hey, I know that author's nickname from somewhere..." and thus returned to this forum, to find the now locked thread. The rest is history. I met CoffeeGrunt, TheComet, swissolo, Cormorant5, Quik, PAGAN, Mr. handy, Happy Cheesecake, Zachadoodle aaaaand I probably forgot someone important. Anyways. Here I started drawing terrible things, I think later they got a little less terrible but yeah...
And I think at the time I really desperately needed that, just a little bit of escape from my at-the-time not-so-great life (let's just say a few things had gone very wrong >.< ) and just a place outside of everything one would ever consider normal. Adolescent/Adult guys talking/fangirling about a TV show about magical colorful ponies for little girls? And from America, Britain, Sweden, Russia, Switzerland and Germany no less? Yeah, not what I'd consider normal, or sane for that matter. Doesn't matter though! We don't harass or hurt anyone, we shall promise to stay inside the AUP and noone needs to read this if they don't want to.

Also, I haven't drawn much of anything since half a year. I really wanna get back into that. I also haven't watched a lot of pony lately. Started over with the two pilot episodes of season one and will go on from there; Season four starts on Nov. 23rd. I look forward to that.

Sooooo... I love all of the guys I mentioned above, really I do. <3
You rock.
It hurt to see the old thread die like that. But we should not discuss that here. You guys are just sorta special to me because I know you nearly as long as I happen to like MLP:FiM.
I have found a lot of local friends through the german forum (which is currently being DDoS'd, incidentally ) but I joined there a few month after I came here.
(Also, for what it's worth (probably not much) my first post in the old thread is here.)

And here we are! We have a fresh start! Let's make this thread 20% cooler, everypony!

(And also make everyone else shake their heads in disbelief :3)
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I never really got the whole Brony thing and always assumed you guys were into as you watched it with the kids. I am not judgmental on these kind of things and everyone to his own provided its harmless fun and it seems it is, I don't see any real difference between this kind of fandom I witnessed at events such as Trek or Worldcon where I used to exhibit and sell paintings.

Heck... I even did a 3d render for your pony thread which was ignored....you gits

Good luck with your new thread and hope it doesn't get trolled by anyone who fails...'to get the vibe'
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 06:14 Edited at: 1st Oct 2013 06:14
Quote: "Heck... I even did a 3d render for your pony thread which was ignored....you gits"

I was skimming through the thread just now and I spotted it on the first random page I looked at. Looks nice!

Formerly Benjamin, and don't you forget it!
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 08:23
Seems like someone had the courage to make a new thread ^^ Wooo, the last thread shall be missed

Oh well ^^ when does the next season commence? Is it november or was it in december?

Whose eyes are those eyes?
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 08:38
@RedFlames
Great to hear that you're not leaving anymore!

@rolfy
Check the bottom of the OP, happy? :p

@Quik
Quote: "Season 4
Coming Nov. 23!"

Right at the bottom of the "Episode Reference"

-TZK

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 17:56
Quote: "Right at the bottom of the "Episode Reference""

A... well don't I feel stupid now?

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 18:02 Edited at: 1st Oct 2013 18:18
Those lists are pretty unwieldy though, maybe put 'em in spoilers? Wait, those 're code tags here, but same thing I guess.

Edit: Also, why not just link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_episodes?
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2013 21:27 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2013 00:06
I hope you guys have fun here, but I've only been vaguely interested in the show for the last year, and it was really the only thread I checked on here.

[ModEdit]Lets not start all that up again[/ModEdit]

I'm sure there's no tears for me leaving, and well, after six years I think it's time to go. Have fun TGC, given how slow the traffic has become round here, I'd question if you're pruning the right weeds, here. If anyone needs more, I'll be here.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 00:07 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2013 00:25
The thread was locked because it had descended into a mess of a flame war. So in order to avoid that happening again, I've removed what you have said.

You are welcome to go, but please keep your jabs at our moderator team to yourself. The reasons for what went down the way it did are in the ban thread.
Now lets try to keep the thread on topic! You would think people who associate themselves with a program that contains 'Friendship is Magic' would be a little less bitter!

I present to you the Goose of Happiness, to mark the end of all this bitterness.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2013 03:50 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2013 03:50
@RedFlames
Quote: "Those lists are pretty unwieldy though, maybe put 'em in spoilers? Wait, those 're code tags here, but same thing I guess."

Done.

Quote: "Edit: Also, why not just link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_episodes?"

Ironically, that's where I got the names of the episodes from.

@CoffeeGrunt
Noooooooo! I hate seeing members leave. I understand though, I hope you'll reconsider though.

Also, this is golden:

-TZK
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 17:07
Anyone watched Smile HD? I am afraid to post link on that so just asking.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 17:26
Probably for the best you didnt link it here x)
I would've preferred a more epic battle with fluttershy or even rainbow, but it was quite enjoyable x)

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 18:02 Edited at: 6th Oct 2013 18:04
Absolutely hated that thing. I didn't realize it was the guy who made Cupcakes HD (should've noticed the HD) and thought it was some innocent animation... until one minute in, weeelll.... to spoiler those who have not seen it; Pinkie Pie beats up everypone else, blood and gore and guts everywhere. Was just not my thing at all.
I mean, the animation quality didn't suck at all, but why waste it on something made for pure shock value and to potentially offend people?
Afterwards I actually tried flagging his videos (Didn't realistically expect anything to happen though...)

But that's my opinion, and I had a similar opinion on the .MOV series. The first one was okay, the rest sucked. The last one was kinda hilarously over-the-top with its storytelling so I didn't dislike that as much. After all some scenes are pretty funny. I'm just not sure why/how people mix this kind of humor with this innocent show about frienship and sh--, err.. stuff.

I'd rather watch the FlufflePuff videos by FluffyMixer

(Newest one, fluffle puff EQ Girls style: )
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 18:27
Quote: "Afterwards I actually tried flagging his videos (Didn't realistically expect anything to happen though...)"

why'd you do that? He doesnt really break any rule so that's just really silly.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2013 23:18 Edited at: 6th Oct 2013 23:29
Quote: "Afterwards I actually tried flagging his videos"

Looks like someone is enjoying being prude.

Edit: one of the best

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 03:13
I actually had Smile HD and Cupcakes HD in the OP for a short time, but I removed them because the mods would probably consider them adult content. Which technically they are since there is so much violence.

-TZK
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 04:20
wow ive been away for a month (busy at work) what the hell happened?

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 07:53
Quote: " Which technically they are since there is so much violence."

Hence my attempt at reporting them, as anyone can watch it on YT. Like, a kid searching for MLP videos.

Quote: "why'd you do that? He doesnt really break any rule so that's just really silly."

I guess... I'm not sure what this falls under. I mean, if this was in a movie, what rating would you give it?

Quote: "Looks like someone is enjoying being prude. "

How so?

Quote: "wow ive been away for a month (busy at work) what the hell happened?"

Read the old (locked) thread from this post on and also the thread about TheComet's ban but please don't discuss any of that here. It has been discussed already, the linked threads are now locked, and we can't really change much.
This is the new thread.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 08:59 Edited at: 7th Oct 2013 09:00
Quote: "wow ive been away for a month (busy at work) what the hell happened?"
The proverbial brown stuff hit the fan. We lost one of our best members, a moderator resigned, and the old thread was locked. While I'm sad to see the mod and the member go, it was REALLY entertaining to watch.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 11:05 Edited at: 7th Oct 2013 11:09
I just read My Little Dashie.
I just balled my eyes out.

I honestly don't think a piece of fanfiction has ever affected me this much before.

-TZK
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 13:42
Quote: "The proverbial brown stuff hit the fan. We lost one of our best members, a moderator resigned, and the old thread was locked. While I'm sad to see the mod and the member go, it was REALLY entertaining to watch."

i dont even...

OK as requested i wont discuss it, The Comet- You will be missed.

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2013 16:47
Quote: "I guess... I'm not sure what this falls under. I mean, if this was in a movie, what rating would you give it?"

Doesnt really matter, since AFAIK Youtube doesnt have any rules against violence. I mean sure - they miight wanna put it under a "18+" rating, but I persoanlly feel that's not needed. I'm quite sure newgrounds would put it under "16+" rating

Quote: "I just read My Little Dashie.
I just balled my eyes out.

I honestly don't think a piece of fanfiction has ever affected me this much before.
"

Quite great isnt it? I mean, it's somewhat badly written at times, but the general story is great

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2013 18:04
Collecting all MLP stuff in OP is senseless, believe me.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2013 06:00
@mr Handy
Fair enough, but I'll leave it how it is now and not add any more to it, unless you would like it cut down a bit.

Also, shameless plug

-TZK
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 15:04
Instead of that other pony mod for Doom I was working on, I decided to try something different:

You should be able to guess the basic storyline from the video.

Please excuse the horrible sprite for the cleaver. I'm not the best Flash artist. I don't think the dialogue is too great either.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2013 17:15
Quote: "Please excuse the horrible sprite for the cleaver. I'm not the best Flash artist. I don't think the dialogue is too great either."

The cleaver isnt too great, but mostly because it's so dark ^^ The dialogue is fine enough
IT was actually quite a nice video

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 04:16 Edited at: 11th Oct 2013 04:20
Some Soviet YTP with MLP.

P.S. start at 1:35

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 12:49
Pivo!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 20:04 Edited at: 11th Oct 2013 20:06
@Chris Tate clop clop clop!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 15:46
@mr Handy
HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my god that's gold

Whilst working on my MLP mugshots for Doom, I decided to do a little joke mug frame:

Whadda you guys reckon? Avatar material? :p
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 10:44

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2013 11:15
I'm not a brony that's really into the toy merchandise (I lean more towards dogtags of cutie marks, it's the subtle things), but I'd like to point out that Pinkie's figurine looks more like Pinkamena to me
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2013 12:28
What?

creamtown
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you can also find the game of this cartoon on your tablet or smartphone, although it looks quite awesome for kids.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 20:00
Hey, today is 23 of oct. Where is my season 4?!

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2013 21:26
November 23rd, not October
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 09:08
[url=www.equestriadaily.com/2013/10/season-4-opening-synopsis-revealed.html]Season 4 opening synopsis released[/url].

Synopsis:

It makes the preview shown at comic-con make more sense too.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2013 14:03

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 22:27 Edited at: 30th Oct 2013 22:28
Greetings at first, to each one of you
As those here that know me, are likely quite few

I don't mean to come here, causing alarm
Nor is this correction intended to harm
But I must point out this incorrect fact
And some other information the OP lacked

</bad Zecora impersonation>

Quote: "...Made by Studio B, and Lauren Faust, (creator of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.) This...is alot better than the Intellectual Property it's based on deserves..."

Common misconception. Actually Lauren's Husband created PPG and Foster's Home.

And add MandoPony to the musicians section.

Oh, and TheMeteor sends his regards to everypony.

The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 11:19
@nonZero
Quote: "Common misconception. Actually Lauren's Husband created PPG and Foster's Home."

Fixed

Quote: "And add MandoPony to the musicians section."

Added, along with AcousticBrony, 'cause they're both awesome :p
No idea why I didn't have 'em there in the first place
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 13:21
I have just seen Lyra's minifigure toy in 3 figure set (Lyra, Octavia and unknown placeholder pony). Sweet Celestia, why they made exclusive molding for everyone except Lyra? It's just recolored Rarity! ***angry***

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 21:46
Nightmare Night (for me anyway, I'm GMT + 2) and not one knock on my door asking for candy. Must be my dark aura.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2013 22:51
Oh, this night is the night of the crazy dressed people asking for food? Pass. I am still sane.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 01:04
Okay, let\'s push this thread to the top again!

November 23rd, finally we have new pony!

I watched the new episodes live and just now rewatched them in HD. I'll put my opinion/thoughts on them in a quote-tag-thingy here. In case anypony hasn't seen 'em yet, better don't read on, you've been warned!

[SPOILERS HERE] [SPOILERS HERE] [SPOILERS HERE]
Quote: "
So first of all, I like the direction they took this in. The flashbacks with the fight between Nightmare Moon and 'Tia were frickin' awesome! Also, the first time discord was banished and then the tree of harmony. It's so much lore added to the world, I like it.

After I have that out of the way, let's focus on s04e01. Basically it was a whole bunch of exposition on multiple layers, that's how I see it. Opens up with Twily still struggling with her wings (for some comedic effect too) and then moves on to her first duty as a princess - the Summer Sun Celebration. By the way, is this the first time it is celebrated after NMMs return? It must've at some point happened again during the last 3 seasons? Because here we had the scene where 'Tia tells Twilight how happy she is to undergo the celebration with the reformed Luna instead of the whole thing serving as a reminder about her banishment. Maybe it was just there for the following small scene that hinted at Celestia being kidnapped by the roots, and to serve as a setting (Summer Sun Celebration in jeopardy, princesses missing, the usual problems Equestria has to deal with). In any case I should note that I am NOT complaining here. Just sayin'. And shortly before that there was that Lesson-Zero-esque freak-out typical of Twilight but now with MORE WINGS. Scnr.
Oh and I loved Pinkies antics in the scene where they left for ponyville. The timing of the mail-colt delivering Pinkies letter only seconds after they left... that was hilarious imho. xD
So then Canterlot is without 'Tia and Luna, and we move on to ponyville. Each of the Mane Six are shown how they are being, err, invaded?... by the Everfree forest. Except for The Pink One, but who knows what dimension she blinked off to during that episode, right?
Twilight's uncontrolled descent towards the library was another fun scene, how she just teleports herself and lets Spike crash into the tree... she is definitely not the best method of transportation, gotta agree with Spike there. ^^
Discord is where I'm still wondering wether or not I agree with the role he played in all this. So they summon him, he's just his usual self enjoying the havoc without seemingly caring for who caused it or what the others are doing. I get that. But I'll get to him later. Flutters protecting him was sweet and Zecora's role was also neat. (Dear god, Im rhyming already)
NOW comes the good bit. Or the betterer bits. The flashbacks! Luna's transformation was pretty epic! And the fight/banishment too. No complaints here. I pretty much love the creators for giving us canon material on the history of that stuff. Same goes for the tree of harmony. New lore is always good.

So now we've moved into s04e02! Let's get on with the action. I feel like I'm going way too much into details about stuff you probably just watched minutes or hours ago. Anyways. They move on into the forest after Twilight saw the flashbacks (that potion sure was conventient, eh?) and fight a giant crocodile, no big deal either.
But then. There. Applejack raises the concern that Twilight might be needed if they can't find the princesses soon. And everypony just agrees to send her back to ponyville? WTF? And she didn't even have any duties there, she would've just sat around with Discord or whatever. Yeeah, really helpful guys. Just because she doesn't know how to utilize her wings doesn't mean she can't use her magic or wits to help you out! Imho they just did that so they could "learn a lesson" about friendship after they realize their mistake and rescue Twilight. Also Twilight had a short conversation with Discord in the meantime which kinda made him look like he was scheming against them - but in my opinion he hadn't really planned for any of this to happen, he just rolled with it.
That is my one concern with the episode. They could've just seperated Twilight and Spike from the others when they ran into the crocodile and go from there. Rescue Twilight and move on to the tree. Oh well.
Ah and another great Pinkie Pie moment: They show up to fight those plants that attacked Twilight and Applejack says "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!" and Pinkie walks into the scene with a party-horn and an angry face instead of saying anything.
Then they go back to the tree, discuss their friendship (liked that bit too!) and Twilight nearly gets defeated by plants again before putting the elements into the tree. Any pegasi there to help her? Apparently not. Maybe they secretly don't like her and want her to die. Just kidding.
The plant with the six locks was a strange one too. To me that basically was just an in-your-face plot-device (no pun intended) for the upcoming episodes. It does succeed in piqueing my interest in whatever is next even if it does so in a crude way. Whatever, it's okay. We'll see.

At the end, again we have Discord just casually hinting at those seeds he planted and gives Twilight the rest of the potion to see it... why would he do that? Does that make any sense to anyone? Other than "Well it's Discord, duh"... was that all for that little lesson thrwon in there?

It ends with the Summer Sun Celebration, this time with EVEN MORE princessesesses! One lowers the moon, one raises the sun... and the third can make pretty sparkles in the shape off her butt-mark! Princess Sparke-butt truly is bestest princess.
I'm done here. (And happy as [CENSORED] shoe no less even if I did nitpick some.)"

[No more /SPOILERS :3 ]
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 06:10 Edited at: 24th Nov 2013 07:57
Long time since I've been on TGC

The season 4 premiere was AMAZING! (Watched it on the BronyTV stream. It was my first pony stream and it was the most fun I've had in a long time)
I'm not going to spoil anything in case you haven't seen it, but what I will say is that is that the season 4 premiere has become two of my favorite episodes so far.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 10:51
Did not watched/read spoilers - is it in one part or in two parts?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2013 11:00
2 parter it is, watching it right now

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2013 20:36
Oh, so it is not a cliffhanger, good.

The Zombie Killer