Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum Badges

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 15:51 Edited at: 1st Feb 2017 15:57
Hey,

I'm a little curious as to what forum badges are available, what they mean and how you get them. I know what some are given for and that they have to be requested, but how can you request a badge when you don't know what badges are available?
I had a search through the forum and it looks like there was once a list that Paul linked to here, but that link is now dead.
Also, some people have a larger badge alongside their avatar. What's that all about?

I think a list of available badges might even be an incentive for people to try to get them. For example, the "Review in Steam" badge. If people looked at a list of available badges and saw an easy to attain one like that, they might be inclined to go and give it a review.
AGK V2 user - Tier 1 (mostly)
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 21:09
Click on your profile button and be amazed!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 07:18
You got me - I'm amazed
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2017 11:25
@JLMoondog

That was fast, I only added that yesterday didn't expect anyone to notice for a while.

We are working on some forum improvements at the moment, there are also some new badges on the way.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 14:56
Quote: "there are also some new badges on the way."

Just wondering...uhm...any chance of adding a 'badge' -badge to the list? Like...a badge you can add that 'proves' you have a badge, lol ?
Sorry...having some funny ideas !
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 17:10
Veteran badge for > 10 years on the forums.

How do you claim badges? There's a few in there I think I could get my hands on! Such as "AGK Community Tester", "DBPRO Developer", "Developer", "AGK Master", and dare I say "Valued Member"?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 17:21
Quote: "That was fast, I only added that yesterday didn't expect anyone to notice for a while."

Oooops! My bad Next. I actually just clicked on Scraggle's profile to view the badges and noticed it. I like being able to see a preview of all the badges, it's like an RPG, got to unlock all my character perks! Awesome feature bud.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 18:05
Nice!

Doesnt look like tool tips come up on already earned badges, I think they should though.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Feb 2017 18:43
You got 7 badges my friend,- soon you will be matching the TGC Development Staff level lol
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 00:50
I have no badges and my codemaster badge no longer exists

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2017 03:15 Edited at: 4th Feb 2017 04:11
there should be a wall flower badge too

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 5th Feb 2017 18:21
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2017 21:59
Quote: "The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep."
Lol.
"I do quite enjoy quoting myself, and I do so often. It's very fun." - Myself
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 01:25
Quote: "I have no badges and my codemaster badge no longer exists"

I remember always being jealous of that badge since it was unique or at least unobtainable right?

I think TGC should make more unobtainable/limited/exclusive badges for different things (like helping out with AppGameKit documentation etc). That's all the incentive I need to help out

My Games - Latest WIP
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 12:47 Edited at: 6th Feb 2017 12:48
Quote: "How do you claim badges?"

At the moment you need to contact a mod or email a TGC staff member to get a badge. We are working on ways to nominate someone for a badge and then the system can award the badges easier.

Quote: "Doesnt look like tool tips come up on already earned badges, I think they should though."

A good point I will add to my list

Quote: "I think TGC should make more unobtainable/limited/exclusive badges for different things (like helping out with AppGameKit documentation etc). That's all the incentive I need to help out"

We do actually have more of these on the way.

@All
We recently added the "Years of Service" badges you now see under your profile, does anyone have any feedback on this badge. One current thought is we should have different colours for different ranges of years.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 14:02 Edited at: 6th Feb 2017 14:17
I like the idea of 'Years of service' badge but I think it is too big and too ordinary.
I would prefer to see a rosette style badge that is the same size as the others and limited to 5 year increments. 5, 10 15 years of service etc. With each one a different colour.

And on the subject of badges - I'm still waiting for my Steam Reviewer badge

For Example:

You can't use these though - I modified something I found online. I don't know if there are copyright issues

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 17:56
Quote: "I would prefer to see a rosette style badge that is the same size as the others and limited to 5 year increments. 5, 10 15 years of service etc."

I personnaly like how the current 'Years of Service' 'badge' is...if you can call it a badge. The exact number of years is better in my opinion than increments of 5 years.
A small 'badge' for years of service will be harder to see, I think. Different colours per years of service is a good idea.
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 18:05
@Scraggle

There is a reason we haven't gone for a square years of service (YOS) badge. The YOS badge is a special badge not one we award users and it auto shows on all profiles, as such it can't take the place of the big badge at the right of your avatar. There isn't room to fit another to the right so the only logical remaining place is below, to add a square badge below would just look odd in our opinion. This is how we came to the rectangle badge design, I have reduced the size a bit since your post, what do you think about it now?
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 18:11
I'm not a fan but if that's the way you want to go then who am I to argue?
If you are sticking with rectangular as it is then it really ought to be the same dimensions as the 'Recently Online' box. It looks odd otherwise.
I still like the idea of different colours though. That might have to be 5 year increments - you'd soon run out of distinguishable colours otherwise.

damothegreat
User Banned
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 18:30
We notice that I don't have the Years Service badge - wonder if they do a 4 Months badge instead - I'm still a nooby after all but I have seem to pick AppGameKit up quite well - so I'm not complaining.

Anyway
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 18:34
Quote: "If you are sticking with rectangular as it is then it really ought to be the same dimensions as the 'Recently Online' box. It looks odd otherwise. "

A good point, I will fix.

Quote: "I still like the idea of different colours though."

I do as well I will put it to the team.

Quote: "We notice that I don't have the Years Service badge - wonder if they do a 4 Months badge instead - I'm still a nooby after all but I have seem to pick AppGameKit up quite well - so I'm not complaining."

You will be at a year before you know it
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 19:53 Edited at: 6th Feb 2017 19:55
Quote: "I still like the idea of different colours though."

I second this. It works as a compromise between the two ideas if anything, shows the years of service, but also awards/represents your milestones. I don't know if worth working in an icon with it? Crowns, rosaries, trophies or something, if it doesn't clash with the style or make the profile bit too busy.

[edit] With 12 years of service, I am starting to feel old. :S And I'm not even 30 yet.
Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 07:50

Different colours sounds great!
14 years - WOW! it more than Lee's ! Is it even possible?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 11:08
Nice! After how many years does the gold color kick in? 15 I am guessing?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 15:09
Quote: "After how many years does the gold color kick in? 15 I am guessing?"

Nah...after 75 ! Still a long way to go, mate !
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 15:42
I like the years service colour banners, good idea.
These badges are quite good too, gives the community encouragement and a goal to aim for in helping out.
The Amiga and Amos were great!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 16:45
My years service is a bit misleading though as it says I joined 2nd Sep 2009, when if you look here at the Jan 2005 issue of the newsletter you can see my Colour Splash game in there coded in DBPro.

https://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_25.html

I had to open the second account because I messed up my password and it couldn't be recovered at the time as I had also changed my email address.
I guess my original date can't be recovered?

Think my old account was renamed Spectre1 so I could use the name SpecTre for this as I didn't want to lose my AppGameKit post's.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 18:14 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 18:16
TheNext, you may want to either decrease the size or increase the resolution of the badges, they're a tad blurry like this.

They are badges after all, it shouldn't look too odd for them to be smaller than the avatar.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 20:33 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 20:47
Yes my logo is a bit rubbish haha, just trying to get a higher res image on there but can't get it to link from Google Drive for some reason. What image resolution can you go to on the Avatar?

[EDIT]
Ah DJD64, I checked out your avatar and did the same, uploaded it to Photo Bucket which seems to work ok
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 20:55
Haha well, I wasn't talking about your avatar per se, mainly just the badges themselves; they are being stretched to larger than their native resolution.

And oh man, it's been years since I uploaded that avatar of mine, amazed the account is still open!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 00:45
been meaning to update it for a while now and at least I know it should be okay for a few years haha.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 04:14
SpecTre,

Quote: "I guess my original date can't be recovered?"

The dates are indeed pretty bogus, as there was a few forums long before to this one (1998 / 99) and more interestingly even while Rich's version of this forum being built, it was in private testing for ages.. They used a fresh database when it finally went live. I've prolly joined 4 or 5 of these things now across the various forums over the years...

PlayBASIC To HTML5/WEB - Convert PlayBASIC To Machine Code
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 08:42
For those that asked here are the break down of colours

1 year - Green
2-4 years - Blue
5-9 years - Bronze
10-14 years - Silver
15-19 years - Gold
20+ years - Platinum

Quote: "I had to open the second account because I messed up my password and it couldn't be recovered at the time as I had also changed my email address.
I guess my original date can't be recovered?"

How's that?

Quote: "TheNext, you may want to either decrease the size or increase the resolution of the badges, they're a tad blurry like this."

A good point I will have a play with them
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 14:39
Quote: "How's that?"

Yes I messed it up a while back then you sorted this new account out with my name change for me and I then managed to reset the password after you reminded me which email address I had it set too but I had the new account by then with my new AppGameKit posts which I didn't want to lose, it was a while ago and a bit complicated as I changed email 3 times!
Cheers for updating this one by the way
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 17:20
Oooo I notice we can now nominate users for badges through thier profiles

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 14:59
Hehehe.... Who else has found the "You cannot nominate yourself" message?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 15:32
Quote: "Who else has found the "You cannot nominate yourself" message?"

Darn...I was going to nominate myself with all them badges...seems I won't be able to. !
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 15:37
That's OK, you can nominate me for anything you like - just to see if it works, obviously
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 16:07 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 16:07
Scraggle has that badgemon fever. Gotta catch em all

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 16:15 Edited at: 9th Feb 2017 16:16
Yo, never been too vain, but I would'nt mind to see a 'GDK Developer' badge after 14 years here.

After all, my simulation has been published since 2008, and it was included at the Intel AppUp store...

MPL3D Solar System

Still surprised that I posted the blew up of the Earth on 29th August 2016 and nobody seems to care
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2017 21:56
I'm an old RGT (and LLRGT) member who transferred to here in 2003. I think there should be an RGT badge! (or at least my silver codemaster back)

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 02:38 Edited at: 10th Feb 2017 02:38
Quote: "or at least my silver codemaster back)"

Nothing a little trip in the wayback machine can't find

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20150922210726im_/http://forum.thegamecreators.com/g/trophies/CTSilvern.gif

smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 02:43
hmm kind of cool wish id known about that 11 years ago. This forum is like returning home from the war to find your wife and children dead inside. Its a sad place without dbpro but its home.
A child's dream never dies.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 04:43
Quote: "Yo, never been too vain, but I would'nt mind to see a 'GDK Developer' badge after 14 years here."

Seems your wish has been granted

My Games - Latest WIP
130,000 installs with AppGameKit and counting
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 13:49
Hey that's right! Got my badge!!

Thank youuu mods!!!

JipijipiJooOOOooou
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 14:47
Well, it IS a pretty awesome program Morcilla!
-Keith
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 16:04
I wrote a cool video jukebox in DB-Pro a long time ago. It was published on a few download sites (sofotex was one), and it was featured in one of the DB-Pro newsletters. Does that qualify me for a DB-Pro dev badge? (I also use DB-Pro whenever an ad-hoc app is required in work... recently produced a little app called "Zippy" that automatically zips up a bunch of billing files for the accounts dept, so still an active developer!).

Party Player Jukebox featured in this newsletter: https://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_14.html

Forum Badgémon - gotta catch'em all!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 17:46 Edited at: 12th Feb 2017 17:48
Well here are the badges I am aiming for if anyone thinks I am worthy of any of them or any Mods, TGC devs think I can obtain any

"AGK Master" - "VIP Member" - "Developer" - "Community Leader" - "AGK Community Tester"

Think I might be able to get:

Developer - as I have released games on Apple, Google, Amazon, including Eduguru games.
AGK Community Tester - I spend a lot of my time on the forums in the showcase section and am always trying peoples games/projects, giving feedback and rating in stores.

That's me bigging myself up for a bit haha, these bagdes are getting a bit like game. Pretty cool.

Oh and @CJB - I am still going for that Duck score!!! only a matter of time
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 19:52
Hey, Who is the wiseguy that nominated me for Badges?LOL
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2017 20:07 Edited at: 12th Feb 2017 20:09
@SpecTre I've nominated you for a Developer badge. Simply because you have an AppGameKit Developer badge and a DBPro Developer Badge. So that must be enough to qualify for a Developer badge.
If it doesn't then I'd like to know what you need to get a developer badge.

Incidentally, I also have the AppGameKit Developer and DBPro Developer Badges

Quote: " these bagdes are getting a bit like game. Pretty cool."

I feel the same way. It can only be a good thing for TGC that people are now doing extra to try to earn the badges.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:13:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:13:48