Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 00:01 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 00:02
As I was trying to make dragon models, it occured to me that dragons (if there are any left at all) must be nearly extinct. So only a total buffoon would set out to kill such a rare and beautiful creature.

Your task in Dragon Tamer is to befriend Rex the 350 year old baby dragon pup and teach him how to get along in a civilized world.

He needs to be paper trained.

http://littlegamz.net/DragonTamer.html
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 00:31
No offence but that dragon looks like a horrible chunk of diarreah molded into the shape of a big footed skinny armed freakish demented thing.

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 01:18
The textures are grainy and stretched and the model looks a bit screwed.

There's not lights or lightmapping

There's not other entities to make that shot interesting.

Not a good screeny but at least its better than that Haditha thing you were making...
AE

lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
And he has limp.

All the minimalism is an effort to maximize gamespeed, minimize downloads, etc. The download is only 18 megs.

What kinds of decorations would I need newspapers? Furniture? A Wehrmacht solider?

I know rex is a pretty ugly mutt in the still pictures, but he looks better in motion, plus you get a better sense of his personality.
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 11:39
Looks like somthing i pooped out once, but its a nice storyline idea

http://ninjasoftforum.proboards107.com
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 12:00
That was one of the strangest games i've ever played...

What was the idea? You got killed by the dragon really easily and if you kill the dragon its game over. You were in a tiny room with a door to the outside; i found the only way to escape the dragon was to jump, usually he'd follow. Then i could attack from above.

I give it 2/10; 1 for custom stuff (the dragon) and another for originality. I would be tempted to giv eyou another for fast gameplay but it didn't make sense what you had to do.

AE

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 13:28
Your task in Dragon Tamer is to befriend Rex the 350 year old baby dragon pup and teach him how to get along in a civilized world.

thats the idea, i think it would be a great idea with a little bit more ai

maybe like, waypoint it, and have to protect it

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 13:47
That was easily that craziest game I've ever played.

The dragon's attack was actually kind of nicely done, but outrageously unfair. It took chunks out of your health and even if it wasn't facing you, it would still hurt you. Like AE, the only way I managed to kill it was lead it outside, die, and drop on top of it and attack it from above.

And what I don't get--you just bought a new "pet" dragon, and you need to house-break it. And the aim is to kill it? If I blew however much money a dragon would cost on one, I wouldn't go and kill it. Especially if it was as vicious as that little mut.

It was original though.

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 22:25
Original yes, but that didn't make good game play. It sucked, I'm sorry to say. One room, no lighting/other media. The model wasn't very good quality, and it was difficult to kill. NO real enjoyment in playing, and having a pistol in that kind of era didn't help. I rate it 0/10, just because i think it was barely a game.

Fujitsu-Siemens "Scaleo-P" with Windows XP OS, Pentium 4, 3.2GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, and a 128MB ATI RADEON X300 Graphics card.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 00:41
@Bloodeath

What the heck are you eating?!
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 00:42
idk i was drunk that night

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Bad game, no offence.
Good points:
-Original
Bad Points:
-Train Dragon, yet you have to kill it???
-BAD dragon model
-No decent gameplay

Tom

lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback. I know Rex is homely and needs to be put to sleep soon.

Just out of curiousity, what kinds of fps are you getting? If you could give me stats from fraps it would be interesting.

The level of "unfairness" might have something to do with processor speeds.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 11:13
I got a constant framerate of 33FPS.

But that isn't actually the problem--the problem is that the attacks the dragon give out are intensely life-draining, and even if the "fireball" doesn't hit you, you get hurt. You don't always get hurt, but there is about a 90% chance you will.

So basically, the processor speed doesn't really affect it (or I'd be getting super-mega-fast speeds, and it's capped at 33), it's the fact that you really can't not be hurt by it.

lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 13:54 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 13:55
So its too hard?

I would think that a dragon should have a big advantage against a person, even if the person had a 45 and a sword.

How many men does it take to finally put the wretched beast down?

Can anybody kill it in one? (Using just the first life)
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 13:59
Basically, it's impossible. You either lose a life because you can't hit it without it hitting you twice, or you die when you lead it outside from the fall.

Please, please don't make this into a full game. It's intolerably frusrating.

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 14:53
Somehow i actually like how the dragon works. Its not so bad after all, but i have to agree with Jiffy.
lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
oh come on its not impossible. You get 9 lives and you only got to take down 1 measly dragon.

I bet even a child could do it using all 9 lives. (Dont be alarmed kiddies Rex is just sleeping there at the end of the demo.)

I can take it down it using just 2 guys, but Im sure
some clever gamer could kill it in one.

After the easy dragon you simply move on to the next.

and THAT dragon is tough.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 15:42 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 15:43
I wasn't saying that completing the game was impossible, I said that killing it in one life is basically impossible. I only ever needed two--one goes away when you lead him out (the fall kills you), and then you can just jump back down, on top of him, and kill him. It's the only way I've managed to kill it, because the fact of the matter is that apart from the aforementioned trick, there's no strategy.

You basically can't avoid most of his attacks (you even get occasionally hurt while on top of him), so there isn't any strategy in 'timing things right'. Whether you're right in front of him, ten meters away or right behind him, give it a few seconds and you'll have a lot less health.

The concept of the "he needs to be paper trained" remark could be interesting though. If you script him to only attack when you attack him (you could use the coward.fpi as a base and add attacks into the script), and make it so you have to complete objectives like getting him out of the house (you could call it "taking him for a walk"), then you'd have an interesting game on your hands.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm...it could be interesting indeed...

Would be the code for attacking when you attack, just put runfpi to whatever attack script you used for the dragon.

Tom

lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Tom, that shotdamage equals 1 conditional, is that boolean? 1 means true?

Or is that a counter?

Is there someway to track the monsters damage and modify his behavior accordingly?

In the script you gave does that mean that after you attack the dragon he is free to maul you? or will he stop when you stop?

Thanks for the script advice.
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 11:42
Shotdamage=1 means 'true if damaged at least 1'.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2006 11:44 Edited at: 6th Jun 2006 11:53
EDITED: I found out that it actually is a counter, .

And it will continue to hurt you, even after you stop. However, you could make it so that after a specific amount of time, it returns to the beginning so that it stops hurting you.

lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
if it is a counter can you have something like if shotdamage equals six then coward.fpi?
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 13:52
Precisely, Lilgamz.

Really, utilising that single command, you could truly make a comprehensive... well, "pet" game, almost. If he's hurt slightly, he'll begin attacking, but if you keep attacking, he'll keep running away ("coward.fpi"). If you added other things like, as I said, taking him particular places and doing particular things, you could have an interesting game on your hands.

lilgamz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 20:37 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 20:47
well, first things first, I gotta fix the dragon.

I was trying for something like a plesiosaur on land. They were an aquatic carnivore that may still exist. But even the wikipedia entry for them make them look kind of turdlike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plesiosaur

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:49:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:49:25