Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Fall of the Fireflies.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 00:52
Wha?

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes! Congratulations. I just read the plug for you in the new issue. Maybe that will be the spark you needed to finish your game. Truly awesome.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 13:22
Crongrats,Butter fingers.
You've made the big time.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 17:40
Yeah, but don't forget that it was fpsFREE.com who featured it first. lol

Don't forget about us when you're rich and famous.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 20:56 Edited at: 30th Sep 2006 20:58
fpsFREE.com who featured it first

lol, what can I say xplosys, you were instrumental to my success. Actually, if you wanna send me a logo via email, I'll link you from my site.. I owe you that much for the feature!

And guys, I don't understand... the most recent newsletter I can see is the September one! So I don't even know what it says. lol.

Anyway, Quick update...

There are 4 levels done out of 6. The other two will be complete soon. Moving into post production, making menus, re-shooting cutscenes with footage from BBC Archive...
Things are looking good.
Infact, episode one is even being released with 3 multiplayer maps. Hurrah!

More soon, and thanks for the comments people!

butters

ps, if someone can post a link to this newsletter that'd be great, obviously I'd be very interested to read it, but I cant find it anywhere!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 21:15
Here is the link.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_45.html

And you don't owe me anything. I featured your work because I thought it was good. Hell, you probably got me more hits than I got you.

Best.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
verrry nicely done... i had no problems with the spiral staircase...

nice touch, the lightbeams...

nice level design as well...

--Mike
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 23:52
Butters, I've gotten a bit confused about one thing:

So, there's going to be two versions, lite and normal? The normal one (that costs money, right?) comes with the media?

I'd just like that cleared up

Oh, I haven't tried yet, but I found de-activating some stuff on my task bar and killing some proccesses seems to really help FPSC, so I'll try your game after that and tell the framerate.

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 00:26
yeah, I'd advise that too, run FOTF from a fresh restart and close all un-neccessary applications and processes.

I'll have some new stuff to post later tonight folks!

butters

red october

Thanks man, the spiral stairs lag if you have a lower end PC or run FOTF with a bunch of other stuff, I'm glad to see people are still downloading and playing.

Airslide.

I can't get permission for commercial on some of my textures, so I might have to go fully indy and make the whole thing free. I've had some good news recently, and am starting work on a commercial project in November, so maybe I'll take FOTF as a proving ground. Making it has certainly taught me alot about FPSC, modelling and level design. I'm torn about selling it though. I mean, I've paid people to make some of the stuff for this, and so it's like I threw cash away. So I guess we'll wait and see, it's a month or so from E1 being complete, so I'll let everyone know around the time.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 01:00
What textures aren't commercialally allowed? Can't you replace them?

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 03:13
Quote: "so it's like I threw cash away"

Don't say that. You will be paying to see everyone's face light up!

Example:

I used to have one of those signs, but then realized how annoying it was...
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Grats on the newsletter!

I too am curious as to which media is holding you back from commercial release.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 14:29
Ok, there are 2 concrete textures used in the reactor levels from a free photo site. They are free for non-commercial, but the creator is no longer a member, and wont return my emails with regards to allowing commercial.

Secondly, the texture on the chest of the black gas mask guys is cut from a 3DGM texture, that I cannot get permission to use (mainly because I'm not sure of the legality).

Finally, 3 of the weapons have bits of their textures cut from the stock weapons. This I don't see as a problem, but it would prevent me from allowing open use of the media.

After many incidents of accidental or unintentional piracy on the forums recently, I'm very cautious of what I'm putting up for people to take.
I have 3gigs of stuff in my FPSC folder, and alot of it I can't even remember the source of. Fortunately, meshes are almost all mine, or model packs. It's just a case of checking a few more textures to make sure its all legal.

I'm getting annoyed with the limitations at the moment. It seems I can either have a beautifully designed level with no action, or a plain, undetailed level with loads of action. It's frustrating. I've been re-jigging this destryed city (I'm now on the 34th save file), for weeks, and I still can't get it to run smoothly. On wireframe mode, there seems to be points where the engine renders far further than neccessary for no reason!
Yikes.
I'm gonna go and blitz it for a bit now.

Finally, been testing out FOTFArena over LAN, and I have to say, shooting another human in the face with a supressed autopistol is really satisfying. There are three maps. I'll upload them soon.

Good will hunting

Butters

Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
PM me if there is anything I can do to help you with the textures. I've done a lot of terrain work, so remixing your concrete should be no hassle at all. The other stuff easy as well. I'd hate to see what looks like a fantastic project get flatlined for this.

I've had similiar issues caused by excess drawing. Double-thick exterior walls and false buffer rooms solved the vast majority of it but I'm guessing you've allready tried that or it's not practical for your scenario.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 15:26
Errant, I dropped you an email.

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 16:11
you're right Butter fingers I have the same problem I have got three levels in my game which are based in the streets of londen thay are larg and very easy on the eye but thay are over in no time at all

The world is complicated only people are simple
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Reply inbound.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 03:57
I hope you guys sort out the textures, cause I'll buy this

Want FPSC content? Click Here!
Want to get your content there? Send us an e-mail!
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 08:19
Just make your level and put it in DarkBasic Pro

www.Disorder-Creations.com

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 04:28
hey guys. Realise I've neglected FOTF in my free time recently. Got into some early work on the reactor part of the chapter. It took along time to decide on light schemes and a design for the reactor, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

The liquid coolant around the bottom of the the reactor is animated

and the lights at the top have the same style of decal effect as the church level, except blue... again took ages to get the ighting and light effects to match up propperly, but I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Still very much a WIP, there is no detail to the scene whatsoever. I wanted to get the reactor (and WOW factor) sorted before I started adding the rest of the scenery.

Anyhow, tell me whatcha think!

butters

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 04:31
WOW

Good job!

Want FPSC content? Click Here!
Want to get your content there? Send us an e-mail!
Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 04:41
That looks great!

I used to have one of those signs, but then realized how annoying it was...
NIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 04:43
Thats sick man! Got a trippy aspect too.

-NIK

(Mod Edit)
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 15:03
HOLY BISCUITS!!!!!! That is Awsome!!!!!!!

ZOMBIES!!! coming 2007!!!
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 17:11
Nice butter. Is that reactor animated?
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 17:18
did have it spinning, which made for some pretty cool gunfights (if only it was do-able in multiplayer..

It's not animated anymore though (that room is pretty CPU hungry, its 5 floors and has 40 decals. (my graphics card cried)

I'm just adding to it at the moment, theres gonna be three of these rooms, and a bit of a puzzle for how to deactivate them (then it's goi9ng to get very very dark (hope you found the night vision...)

I'm getting back into some decal experimentation, and I'm getting some pretty cool light/liquid effects. Also got propper muzze flashes on the enemy weapons (so they have the same muzzle fahs as the weapon has when the player fires). Oh I love saturdays.

butters

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 18:59 Edited at: 14th Oct 2006 19:06
Hmmmm.... I guess I don't understand why your not doing something similar to the image linked to this post entitled 'sizematters'.

Doing something similar for your set up would seem a better use of polys then what your doing. Now mind you I didnt make or map this very well and you could actually make a map for each wall making the detail more defined, but here i've got a similar situation as you've set up. Huge building/moat section/even a structure I can climb up and the whole scene is less then 2100 polys. I know nothing can be done with the decals. And I know those are more of a strain. But every little bit you can chip away at the memory would help I would think. At 12 polys per floor/wall/ceiling tile, those add up on those kinda rooms fast.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e385/LOCRIANoL/SizeMatters.jpg
butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2006 19:36 Edited at: 14th Oct 2006 19:36
nice cool cooloruny

I like cereal
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 03:04
hey butters i got the demo off ur website and its really good... i got addicted and i found the shotgun! wohoo i'm smart! anway one suggestion.
The enemies models were screwed up. They were smoothed out to much, and i'd think i'd rather have them like, eh, med-poly. But it is still awesome! work till the end, buddy!

Wont be online till late tommorow! busybusybusy

COPLIANT in progress! wohoo
Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 16:43
Hi, Butter fingers

I was experimenting with light-effects, similar to those in your game (using the alpha channel of a texture to simulate volumetric lights). Everthing looks good in the 3D-Programm (see attached screenie). Unfortunately, the Alpha-channel of my texture produces some weird results in FPSC. It also makes part of other textures of my low-poly model transparent (see screenies in the next two posts). What am I doing wrong? Thank you in adv for your help.

Attachments

Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 16:46
and now for something completely different...

Attachments

Zilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 16:49
sorry to hijack your thread, but I admire your work very much and I am always surprised how you can push FPSC where no one has ever been before!

anyway, here is another alpha-channel-rotten pumpkin...

Attachments

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 15:34
looking forward to more screenies butters!!

Zombies: Dark shadows RELEASE DATE: TBC
Linik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 16:20
Where can i download those monsters?

www.futurecast.co.nr
we know the true meaning of old style games!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 12:57:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 12:57:57