Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help a newbe

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I'm completely new to this stuff but i'll explain my problem and hope someone can help.

I made a map with 3D World Studio I can export it as whatever so i'm thinking I'll need to export as .dbo however I haven't got a clue what to do next. All I want to do is load the map so i can travel around it, I don't even care if the play can go through walls or anything, I just want to be able to go around the map without enemies or anything like that.....can anyone help me maybe post an example code
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 21:49
Quote: "I'm completely new to this stuff"

Then may I suggest that your first project is a little too ambitious?

You need to learn the language first. Copying and pasting other people's code will not teach you anything and you'll get so frustrated you'll soon get disheartened and give up.

It's like trying to write a novel in a foreign language before you've learned the alphabet.

Learn to walk before you run...

TDK_Man

3nvisi0n
Years of Service
User Offline
yea its ambitious, I'm not interested in learning to create a full game I just want some where to take may map and put it into an exe file or some other way of opening it. I was using the demo of Leadwerks engine to open it but that won't work on my new computer for some reason. So i thought darkBasic would be able to do what I need.
Do you know of any free engines that would be able to support any of the formats from 3D World Studio?
3nvisi0n
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with what you saying but I don't plan to use this program for anything butt his one project. If you know an alternative way that I can get my map to load so I can freely move around without needing to learn darkBasic please tell me, I was using Leadwerks Engine and some of the code fomr there to do it but it doesn't want to work anymore for me, so I'm looking for an alternative. Really what I need is a way to dsitribute may map so another people can view it off a CD. I made a map from a book for English class, I just need a way to get it onto CD to hand in.
3nvisi0n
Years of Service
User Offline
i agree with what your saying however maybe if I explain my situation a bit better you'd be more willing. Ok...so I made a map based off a book I read in English class as a creative project for the book, what I need now is some way to hand it in. So i thought I'd use darkBasic Pro (it came with the comp, along with some other programs the original owner had) Since it can make exe's and since the map editing program I have exports into a dbo file. If you know of another way I can get the map viewable off a CD or into an exe file please let me know.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 04:35 Edited at: 10th May 2007 14:37
Here's a program I just threw together. It will allow you to view your objects. It's not very polished... Anyway you'll need WinRAR to extract the EXE from the .rar file. Google WinRAR and get the free trial version if you need to. I hope its not too late.

Good luck,
-Sixty Squares

P.S. The download is at the bottom rightmost corner of this post at the red download button.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 09:49
Quote: "I agree with what you saying but I don't plan to use this program for anything butt his one project."

That's different. I assumed you were planning on creating a full-blown game.

If you're not then just shout if Sixty Squares program doesn't do what you are after and we'll see what we can do.

TDK_Man

The Core
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2007 18:46 Edited at: 19th May 2007 18:49
may i ask what you are saving the files as..for example .x ..reason for this is DARK BASIC PRO can handel alot of models improted it definalty do's not have to be a dbo file it can be a .x in which is a slightly bigger file than a dbo....

load object "my world.x",1
scale object 1,5000,5000,5000
position object 1,0,0,0

` this bit contoles your camera ..in other words this is your eyes

rem mouse look
if mouseclick()=2
position mouse 400,300
cf#=cf#+mousemovez()*0.5
if rightkey()=1 or KEYSTATE(32)=1 then cr#=cr#-4
if leftkey()=1 or KEYSTATE(30)=1 then cr#=cr#+4
if upkey()=1 or KEYSTATE(17)=1 then cf#=cf#+4
if downkey()=1 or KEYSTATE(31)=1 then cf#=cf#-4
cx#=cx#+mousemovey()*0.2
cy#=cy#+mousemovex()*0.2
if cx#>80 then cx#=80
if cx#<-80 then cx#=-80
endif
acr#=curvevalue(cr#,acr#,3)
acf#=curvevalue(cf#,acf#,3)
acx#=curveangle(cx#,acx#,1.5)
acy#=curveangle(cy#,acy#,1.5)
move camera acf#
rotate camera 0,wrapvalue(acy#-90),0
move camera acr#
rotate camera 0,wrapvalue(acy#+90),0
rotate camera acx#,acy#,0
cr#=0
cf#=0

` this bit of code is self explanitory but i do hope it helps you

sorry for any typos i'm in a rush lol

take care

---thecore---

i'm E.T i have so much tech but yet i dont have a mobile phone! where is a land line when you need one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-26 22:50:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-26 22:50:10