Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Character sliced up

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 23:21
Hi,

My 2nd problem I came across and I'm spending hours to try and fix this and it's driving me nuts.

The character is rigged up (it animates properly).
The whole model is welded (ofcourse).
It uses 3 TGA's, one of them is using an alpha map (the hair).

Basically everything works properly apart from the model being cut up at several spots (see screenshot).

I seacrhed the forum but it seems like I am the only one with this problem or am I not?

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gamers Gear
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2007 23:50
Im not too sure about this, but is those spots true black?

Very nice anyway!

Gamers-Gear the only gear you need!
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 00:09
No there is no black on the pants.
I've made a clearer shot of this freaky thing.

For some reason the arms and legs are detaching and her body is getting severed in multiple spots.
It nearly looks like if it is getting cut up exactly where the several joints are located.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 02:09
Do you have shaders turned on? Try turning them off and see what happens.

Search for "HellHouse" in Showcase.
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 02:24
depending on what program you used to model this, and correct me if im talking out of my arse here, I believe that sometimes happens when a certain face on the model is the wrong way round, like when i use sketchup for example, from one side a face might look fine but from the other side its invisible. If you know what i mean? i dont know about whatever program your using but i believe its possible to reverse them so they show up properly

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 03:07 Edited at: 15th Jun 2007 15:38
Quote: "I believe that sometimes happens when a certain face on the model is the wrong way round"

That sounds about right since its not texture problem

Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 21:00
Thanks for the tips.
It would have been very noob of me to have done that but I have checked anyway and indeed I did not have flipped faces.

I opened the .x mesh in milkshape and inspected it in the little window that pops up.
It seems the mesh as it is in it's exported format has the vertexes unwelded at the locations shown in the game image.

My guess is something goes wrong in the export as I have welded everything together for sure.
What to do...
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 21:58
Ok an update, as I am getting desperate and near the point of forgetting about everything I exported the model in DX8.0 format and surprisingly enough it works.
I did find on the forum that this should not be used but the character works great now so can anyone tell me what is the big deal here?
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 02:06
Hmmm this forum is very confusing where one says one thing and someone else says another when I search for solutions.

Ok the slicing is happening as I export with the following options in milkshape:

Position scaling=1.0
Animation time factor=0
Format=Directx Retained Mode
Animation set name=Anim-1

Now everything works apart from the character being cut into bits and pieces.

I read that instead of using retained mode format I should use skin&bones.
Whenever I export to this format the file becomes unreadable by FPSC and refuses to load the entity or entity maker for that matter so I'm wondering how the hell people manage to get it to this format and making everything work.

When I export to directx 8 format the character works nicely apart from the fact that it's halfway through the ground (which did not happen when I exported it like I wrote above).
This pissed me off again so I tried finding a solution for this.
I read about this fragmotion conversion and bone placement so I gave that a try.
Sadly after a couple of tries it still had the same effect and the char was still halfway in the floor.

I decided to gave Max7 a try, I have no clue how to make a skeleton in there or anything animation related, I only know how to create models.
I downloaded the FPSC skeleton for character studio and got everything opened up nicely.
The skeleton animated perfectly and since it was a mesh I could export it and get it in the game to see if it actually worked.
Great after 5 min of exporting I opened up the mapeditor and the skeleton was lying face flat on the floor.
I rotated the character -90 degrees on x-axis to make it stand up straight and that seemed to work apart from that the animations were skipping frames and not playing in the correct order.

GGGRRRRR everything I seem to have a previous bug working correctly something new pops up.
This engine is without a doubt the most horrible piece I'm trying to work with in my entire game development career (which is quite a few years I might add).

So now I'm back to square one.
Can someone tell me how they can make a custom built character export with what settings exactly from Milkshape 8.0 with the JT exporter please?
Ezykeyal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 21:35
After a few more hours of trial and error I finally made it to work.

Attached is a screenshot of the export options should anyone else encounter extreme weirdness.

The stand at position option with value -40 means that my character without this was in the ground and by turning this on and giving this specific value I was able to raise it where it should be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:41:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:41:18