Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / ramp collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
please i will do anything if someone can write or tell me how to make my bike jump this ramp if u can help me i do great graphics i will do something for u for free if u need it and it will be perfect please help
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 15:36
You won't get any replies - no matter how much you plead - if you don't give any more information than you have (which is very little).

What is your ramp? Is it an object or a slope on a matrix? Are you using a .X file bike or using a primitive as a temporary placeholder.

When asking questions, always supply enough info for someone to answer!

TDK_Man

OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks alot i have a bike and it is a ramp i made in gamespace .x file i have no collision or gravity dont know alot about coding trying to learn that is why i offered my services for free if u can help me i also have matrix hills for dirt jumps but that is not what i need now i need the imported ramp collision fixed thx for the advice.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 03:37 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2007 19:21
Hallo OnQue int....this piece of code is really ridiculous, but it will make you understand how comands work...just read and try to make it bigger . good luck !!

oh my god
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 03:42
OOHH please !! TDK... I made a mess with this code...please help !!

oh my god
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 21:41
Can't you use sparkys collision plugin to make it work?
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
that works great thanks alot for some odd reason i cant get collision on the walls i have a warehouse with ramps in it but i go through walls i got it to work on one side but the bike stops about 8ft from wall
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 00:57
chafari

Sorry - had all sorts of problems getting onto the forums in the last few days and when I've eventually got on it's not let me post any replies.

Looks like it's all sorted now any way!

TDK_Man

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 00:56
it doesn`t matter TDK...it was my fault

Hallo again OnQue int...of course you do not collide with the walls...i told you, it was a ridiculous code as you say that you don´t know very much about collision...

you must specify exactly what you need...If you need a collision system for a game or if you try to collide with a matrix or whatever....i will help you.

Good luck

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thanks for your help i have a building that is one object the bike my object runs through the walls i want it to stop at all four walls also do i need to make the floor a seperate object so it wont collide with the floor and also i got the collision to work on one ramp but i loaded a second ramp.x file and cant get it to work on both and if u could explain what the object position code is for under the code u wrote because if i take it out will not work at all i was messing with the code to try to better understand it and dont understand the position object bike,0,y#,z thanks again
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 19:48
Hallo OnQue Int ... I´m here again trying to help you...I made a little tutorial for you ....and I would like you to examine it in order to understand how collision works...

you can not collision with your object in the same code I sent to you, because we have to compare the objects we prepare with such condition....

if we say :

if object collision(1,2)>0 then bla bla bla... it means that only if the object ( 1 ) collision with object ( 2 ) then our conditions go on

but if we say:

if object collision(1,0)>0 .... it means that all objects that collision with object (1 ), our code gous on...understand ??

I will prepare a small code for you if you want to collide with wall and whatever... good luck

robertochafari@hotmail.com

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
thats works great for the dummy u made but wont work with bike it aggravates me on how i just dont get it or it dont work for me how much will u charge me to do the engine i will provide sound animations and the graphics and anything else that dont have to do with coding because as fast and as good as u are u would of had this done by now graphics i can do just as fast as u do this i would like to learn coding so i can do it myself but not looking good i know the basics of it and that is it u probably tiredof helping me but now i am willing to pay and possible a percentage of what the game makes i will take care of all publishing fees and all the work getting it seen thanks for your help again

ps i dont speak your language notice some of the code is in your language
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 14:23 Edited at: 14th Jun 2007 14:25
OnQue Int, I noticed you just joined the forum this month. How much understanding do you have about the concepts of collision systems. I am far from an expert or even much of a novice as I spend the bulk of my time working on applications in another language, but I feel like throwing this code out with out a basic understanding of what is going on is just like giving a drowning man a glass of water.
It is a great gesture that chafari is trying so hard to help, but it feels like you actually may want is a little more knowledge about collision basics; just like I need more learning in the basics. I have big ideas and concepts but never got down and learned the basics well enough to even have a chance. Before I can sit down and create in DBP; I will have to go back and get educated in collisions myself. Don't give up but don't be afraid to ask for what you may need; the thing that may help you most is just an explanation of why, and not a block of code.

Good luck
Don

Making nothing for the forth straight year.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2007 23:38
I have to agree with DBoy780.

You might find tutorial 10 of use here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

It's a shame really because these tutorials have taken a long time to create and although they are written for DBC users and hidden away on the DB Classic board where most DBPro users won't actually see them, for the most part they are just as useful to DB Pro beginners.

TDK_Man

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 00:31
hello everybody ...hello OnQue Int ...I´m agree as well with our friends DBoy780 and TDK...I can help you of course, but some how...if you are a beginner, you should learn the minimun of the language before you try to do a real game....it does not mean that I`m gonna leave you in the lurch....I wil help you if you have not time to learn now...but in a collision system like in every piece of code... you have to understand first way things occurs in all this little codes...

You can find me over here...but take the advice of our friends...
and little by litte...you can ask all kind of questions.

good luck...

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
i do know some of it i can load sound animations if,then,else,and and a few other commands for some reason i dont understand collision commands maybe it is something else im not doing should there be a limb attached to the front and back tire of my bike to detect when it hits ramp i dont know if someone can do the engine and let me put my object in there i will pay everything but animations sound or a menu system i can do movement and camera they are 14 levels i need to do i am doing vert jumping big air jumping flat style and road course basicly everything that u can compete in in real life i am going to have like i said i got the graphics down for sure just need help with the engine once i can see it and mess with it i will understand it as of right i dont maybe i am making it harder then it actually is dont know if u want to make some money it would be appreciated maybe what i think wont take u long to do might take u a while but not as long as it would take me dont have alot of time to learn this myself it has taken me 3 years to learn what i know now another 3 i might be able to do it myself but right now my best bet is to hire and maybe give percentage i promise with the right programmer and my graphics will be a hit
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
i do know some of it i can load sound animations if,then,else,and and a few other commands for some reason i dont understand collision commands maybe it is something else im not doing should there be a limb attached to the front and back tire of my bike to detect when it hits ramp i dont know if someone can do the engine and let me put my object in there i will pay.i can do animations sound or a menu system i can do movement and camera they are 14 levels i need to do i am doing vert jumping big air jumping flat style and road course basicly everything that u can compete in in real life i am going to have like i said i got the graphics down for sure just need help with the engine once i can see it and mess with it i will understand it as of right i dont maybe i am making it harder then it actually is dont know if u want to make some money it would be appreciated maybe what i think wont take u long to do might take u a while but not as long as it would take me dont have alot of time to learn this myself it has taken me 3 years to learn what i know now another 3 i might be able to do it myself but right now my best bet is to hire and maybe give percentage i promise with the right programmer and my graphics will be a hit
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 08:06
Crikey!

That's one hell of a long sentence...

And did you look at the link I gave you?

TDK_Man

OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
ha I type fast so no periods I put n when i have to. I did look but cant figure it out. I just need someone to do the engine for me I will pay or trade services either one.

thanks for the grammer check
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 12:41
Hallo OnQue int...it is not a cuestion of money...you need to specfy what kind of game it´s gonna be... I remember when I was teaching my son to do little games....he just want me to do it for him....I say to you the same thing I told him...start little by little...and when you don`t know something in particular you can ask exactly what you need...

in the meanwhile...have a look to this collision example...and if you don`t understand the code...i will help you step by step..LOL..

I suppose you are working hard for sure...don`t give up !!

oh my god

Attachments

Login to view attachments
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i have another question. I have a ramp that is like a gravity ramp that i need to stay on the whole way down. It it is like a ski jump would be the best way to describe it steep drop that ends at a ramp then to a landing area that also turns into a ramp that should launch u straight up into the air and come right back down still on the the ramp. these are 2 seperate ramps by the way that are seperated about 50 feet away from each other dont know how to keep on the ramp. The collision I have it shoots up in the air and will not come down untill I move off the ramp.

I also want to thank u for all your help I am starting to get the idea behind collision not quite yet but starting to see the light thanks again.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 15:19
for such a collision, you will need not olnly collision comands but physics methods...

I suggest to you for that...to do a path where the object follows way points or just use an animated object from other 3D program and then position your bike on limb position x,y,z while you keep the animated object hidden....

if you could send part of your scene object and the bike, i will make the path object...i will explain to you how to pitch your bike up and down....

you,v got it !! don´t give up !!

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
I really dont understand limbs never got to them all i know they are used to detect other objects i guess as far as animations my bike is animated well atleast all the tricks like back flips and tailwhips and such but thats it. Im taking from what u said is that it needs more than that can u explain a little better on what u mean please. thanks for your help and confidence
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 16:34
Hallo...all objects have at least one limb (the cero one)....so if we have for example a sphere previously animated with all the way that our bike is goint to do... it means that we can position the bike where libm position x,y,z of the sphere...

it could be just a simple box.... if you have your bike animated, then in such case, you don`t need to animated again...but you know that when a bike start going up the ramp, it has different z angle or x angle....

if you understand now the comand MOVE OBJECT BIKE,speed# ...then it is not difficult to make your bike move ....and for gravity, you should do something like:

if object collision(bike,0)=0 then gravity=gravity-0.5

***** then if you are moving object by MOVE ...in such case you could put for the bike gravity :

move object down bike,gravity

if you are positioning your bike by comand POSITION OBJECT BIKE X,Y,Z then you could put some thing like:

POSITION OBJECT BIXE X,Y-GRAVITY,Z

*** that depends or the method you are using...but all that is easier to see with pieces of code...

just put some code here and all you are trying to... and more friend will be here trying to help you with your code....

you can find me over here....greetings

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 23:38 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2007 19:22
This is what i got i took some of the code out someone helped me with the collision code but i dont get the reason for the object position or the z=z+2 and also my bike is positioned to the left of the camera i tried to manipulate some of it but cant get it to work if u can help with that it would be great thanks again
i wish i could return the favor some way if i can please let me know i would love to

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2007 22:55
Hallo again !!...as you know...you can make a object movements with the comand MOVE OBJECT or positioning the object in coordinates x y z and we can put names to this coordinates ..right?

then ..it is the same to say:
first comand line-----if upkey() then move object 1,1
second comand line----if upkey() then z=z+1:position object 1,0,0,z

here is the example !!

Knowing that !! you can use both comands (MOVE or POSITION) in order to udjust the position of your object(bike, car, spoon ,whatever)..

Now have a look how the objects update their position when collision with a ramp

And now,just for fun , have a look to this code

Greetings

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
so the z=z positioning is only if i want it to stay on one path and not go off of it right? so for my game i dont need it.then why when i try to position the bike in the middle of the screen where it should be the camera moves with it and as far as my bike going up and down the ramp just use something similar to what u have.
is there anything else that i should change on my coding to make it work better
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i tried to get that to work and it goes down when off the ramp but goes up on the ramp. how do i get it to go up when it gets to the part that goes up and goes down to the part where it should go down. Like i said before picture my ramp to be similar to a ski jump that has a ramp at the end of it then another set apart from the ramp to a landing area that also turns into another that shoots u staight up in the air and comes back down onto it. this is called a gravity ramp. this is the real name for it nothing i came up with
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 00:30
Hallo...here am I !!....can you send your complete folder with code.dba and the objects you have at the moment for the example...i couldn`t do any thing because i don´t have your .x files

cheers

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
send it by email and it says there r 32 post but there is no page 2 and 29 on this page
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 01:36
the only thing you have to do, is tu add a .rar or .zip file with your media and dba...and i will download it from here (our forum)

good luck

oh my god
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 01:37
the only thing you have to do, is to add a .rar or .zip file with your media and dba...and i will download it from here (our forum)

good luck

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
ok here it is i took alot out so i could just work on the collision so no textures just the landing area for the bike not the other half thanks for helping

Attachments

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2007 02:10
Ok OnQue int....i,v got it....i will have a look at it...now i go to bed....my wife is going to kill me ha ha...until next...

Greetings

oh my god
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 00:31
hallo OnQue int...i made some changes to the code...

when we create any object in a 3D editor, we have to be carefull to position it in the center of the grid of such program before to export..otherwise the center of our object will be in the wrong position.... why should we do that??....because when we scale an object in dark basic, the program sometimes do not recognize collision with polygos as it should....

it happens as well when the object is to small and we had better to export it from our program with the correct zise than trying to scale it in dark basic...any way !! i prepared next code with the comand INTERSECT OBJECT.

you can do this by many differents ways, but you have to understand how it works....the ramp has a limit on tops in order not to fall down...but you can make a biger level and just delete those lines...

i,ll be over here !! good luck

oh my god

Attachments

OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i understand what u have for more than one ramp i will have to change to 0 not ramp right and also what did u do to the ramp is it a different one or the same. how to i get the camera to point directly behind the bike i have an idea but dont want to make sure.
1 more thing i would like to know how to make it smoother and closer to the ramp not off of it thanks again it looks great
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
here is something if u want it. it is pretty cool m-16

Attachments

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 02:29
hallo again...the ramp is other one but exactly the same zise of your ramp, and then i put it exactly in the midle of the grid of my 3D eiditor before to export to .x

if you want the camera point to the bike do this:

point camera x#,y#,z#

here in this code you can learn how to put camera close to bike ....the explanations are is spanish...if you don´t understand, i will translate it for you...

if you find it useful and you want to learn...just say what you need !! good luck

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
i want the camera to point directly behind the bike as a third person view
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
thats sweet u are hands down the best out there and nothing anyone or u can convince me other wise i would like to understand that i am learning so much from u i feel so bad that there is nothing i can do for u well at the end of the semester i will figure out something money if u like or something.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 02:42
WOW !!...really cool !! it looks like a photograf of a real gun indeed...

I work as a 3D teacher much more than a programmer and for me it`s not difficult to do what normaly i need ...thankyou any way !!
but you could add it to the forum for other friends.

just one question... do you speak spanish?...where are you from? cyberspace? ha ha...

greetings

oh my god
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 03:00
hallo again OnQue int...I amuse myself somehow trying to teach other people what I can....it is not necessary you to pay me any thing....if you like my classes and my codes...that´s all and it is a pleasure to be able to help another people ...

ok...lets go to the point !!

if you want the camera to follows the bike ...have a look to the last code i sent to you....anf if you don´t understand...i will make a new code

greetings.

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 03:08 Edited at: 24th Jun 2007 03:12
yea i dont understand, thats cool that u do teach 3d graphics. thats what i love to do. what program do u use i use gamespace, anyways yes i would like to know, no spanish atleast not alot lived in portugal for a while when younger forgot alot but now i live in ga united states
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 03:22
Well I use for my hobbies Maya 3DMax Rhino Bryce 3D and many others...but I teach 3D modelling and animation and video composition with MAX and Combustion ,and i use to make some games just for fun

UN SALUDO ...AMIGO !!

oh my god
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
i have used maya to. cant figure out bryce i want a very nice sky texture because the level i am working on now will be outside dont know the best way to do this,skyboxes i dont like see lines do u have a idea
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 04:14
well the idea is to load two objects sky...made by a sphere and textured with a sky cloud and one of them make it transparent...

have a look to this example..

oh my god

Attachments

OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
there is nothing but a dark screen
OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
good morning for me good afternoon to you sir. I have been messing with it and figured out alot i got the camera and bike controls configured together where i can see the bike at all angles while moving. do i need to move the limb to the front tire or does it need 2 1 front and 1 back and how do i get it smoother and closer to the ramp. there is a small but noticeable gap between
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 17:55
ok OnQue int....i will prepare the code...

it is strange that you can not see the sky in that code...perhaps it doesn`t work in a tryal version....any way...i send you the exe...

good luck

oh my god

Attachments

OnQue Int
Years of Service
User Offline
i need to know if i need to make another limb or position this one to the front tire if i do how do i position it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 02:19:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 02:19:17