Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Time To Move On?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been using tutorials, and am getting the grasp of DBP, but when is it time to move on to something bigger and better? When will I know I'm safe to try something bigger, and not get so mad when it dosn't work that I will end up kicking my moniter screen in? Should I try 3D, or make something simpler?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was spam
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 21:48
Try making some small games, after all, that's what DBP is built for. Try making some simple games like pong, pacman, etc. I also think you should think about making inventory systems and stuff, so you get used to data management - something that people dont seem to like much these days.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm. Maybe, where can I find a pong tutorial?

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 22:42
This one's a classic. I used it when I started. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=22030&b=7

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
That's 3D pong, I want to make the classic black-n-green pong that's 2D

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2007 23:36
Different style, same concepts. Read it, and once you know how it is structured, and how the math works, you will be able to make a 2D version.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. I will try.

vibe runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2007 22:45
If you want to make a 2D game you should make it in 3D, either with 3D models and a fixed camera, or textured plains.

I recommend avoiding sprites. It's not that they're bad, they're okay, but the power of DBP is in the 3D engine. You really should look at that.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Ooohhh. Wow, how long do you think it will take before I can make a FPS?

Convertz - Help Wanted - Need C# Coders - C# Program Will Be Provided For Free - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110293&b=2
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2007 15:51
Try Ruccus's FPS tutorial.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Where do I find it? (Please don't say search, I hate spending hours trying to find something)

Convertz - Help Wanted - Need C# Coders - C# Program Will Be Provided For Free - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110293&b=2
Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
I would say to Crispex: It won't be soon before long...
...before you'll make an FPS!

De la part de SerDjo
http://perso.orange.fr/Serdjo.L/
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2007 20:59
Quote: "I hate spending hours trying to find something"

But you are quite happy to let us do it???

A little hint: We like spending hours trying to find something for other people even less!

And you don't need the search on this occasion any way - just look at the posts on the first page on this board.

TDK_Man

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, if you know the name, you probebly know where to find it!

vibe runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 00:37
In fairness these forums are not well organised, and the search function is stone-age.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 01:47
Quote: "Well, if you know the name, you probebly know where to find it!"

Inspire told you what to look for (Ruccus's FPS tutorial). I was commenting on your response to that post - it had nothing to do with using the Search.

You don't need to know the name. There's only one thread on the first page by RUCCUS and it's called 'The Newcomers Guide To Creating First Person Shooters'.

I know the search isn't brilliant, but it's not helped when users put things like 'Newbie Here!', 'Pleeeeeeeze Help!!!!!!' and other similar non-descriptive titles for posts.

Even if you don't know exactly what you are searching for, a few minutes experimenting usually finds what you want.

It can just be a little irritating when people post with "tell me what I want to know - I can't be bothered looking myself". Often they want you to provide a link directly to a thread so all they have to do is click on it - which isn't really fair on everyone else.

TDK_Man

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 03:53 Edited at: 18th Jul 2007 04:08
I'll be nice...

Super awesome tutorial thread (with the FPS tutorial included): Useful Threads For Newcomers (this thread is located at the top of this board and is VERY helpful)

Most of the tutorials can be found there, so you should be all set

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 02:30:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 02:30:21