Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / how is such a large world achieved?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 18:16 Edited at: 20th Jul 2007 22:45
look at this movie for the snow boarding>

http://www.ageia.com/physx/videos.html

now please tell me how they made there game seem like its soooo huge???? do they reuse there meshes for hills? is it because there 3d engine is better than dbp?
hows this done to look like a real endless mountain??

edit: linkified by mod. please linkify links in your posts, thanks
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2007 21:39
Skyboxes, probably. I dont have time to review the video. Probably either Skyboxes, Skyspheres, or a textured plane.

---PlasmaArts---
www.plasmaarts.co.nr - www.plasmaarts-games.co.nr
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 00:42
I think that the mountain does end at some point, only it's very big. To keep FPS up, they probably used culling.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 02:07
Prolly had a LOD thing going heh.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Snowwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 20:07
Try creating a Mountain hows continuing in the Skybox. That should work!

andrey d
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh...you can start by scaling things really small so you can see more of your world.
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 11:06
for essentially infinite terrain, use a matrix that moves along with you, or have the player stay at the origin and the matrix moves based on your position--and when you move over to the next tile, update matrix by shifting it in the appropriate direction
Nuklear Onslaught
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 13:47
Never use a matrix if you want a terrain that is that size. It would slow the game down so it's running at about 2FPS.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2007 15:13
There are many ways to create the illusion of large worlds but the one that you have posted a link to is actually quite small and can be achieved with nothing more than Advanced Terrain and a skybox.

It is just a snow covered hill. There are no trees, characters or anything else that may bump up the poly count. So, you could make a very larger terrain without any concern. Advanced Terrain will automatically cull hidden poly's, so, if you create a twisty turny route down the mountain you will get even better results.

vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 12:44
I suppose you can either use:
1. skyboxes
2. multiple sections of the mountain and cull them or...
3. scale everything else down

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2007 15:00
I've seen this effect in newer games lately, where they make an advance LOD terrain system(which seems to be in all game nowdays) and apply a shader to the scene thats a bit like a depth of field effect but blurs it to look like it's part of the skybox(sphere/dome etc...) by giving it a soft edge and maybe changing the color tone to suit the skybox.

Take a look at this picture, if you look to the bottom left in the background it looks like the mountains are part of the skybox, I've seen actual gameplay and I can tell you there not. Not to sure how to do this in DBP, but it's not impossible.

http://uk.media.pc.gamespy.com/media/822/822535/img_4041147.html
Snowwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 17:00
Iiii think, my Idea is the best one... but its hard to realize...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 02:21:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 02:21:46