Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Harness the Power! - Part 1 : A brief and thorough look on alpha maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 01:24
A lot of people around these boards have been asking on how to use alpha maps. Now, the answer is quite simple, and most people understand merely by having it described in words, lest they are nearly completly inexperienced with computer graphics in general.

To put it short, alpha maps are either embed or seperate greyscale pictures that define the level of transparency of a texture, with the brightest white being completly visible, and the darkest black rendering it invisible. All greyscales between define different levels of transparency, the darker it is, the more transparent it shows up as, evidently. This can provide much depth for textures, such as overlays for example. You could make an oil or blood stain to put around your level.

Now, I'm going to briefly guide you through an example showing how to make full alpha maps with semi-transparency for best rendering effect.
First of all, fire up whatever picture editing program you use (amongst the costy ones, I'd recommend Photoshop. If you don't have the money to buy it or don't have it available for use elsewhere, download a free tool like the GIMP or something similar) and load up the texture you want alpha-mapped/transparent.
Here's what I'll use for this example, a nifty little blood-stain that I threw together using basic brushes and a few discrete effects;

Feel free to steal it, I'm gonna give it out for free in this thread soon anyhow so.

Anyways, now on to the alpha-mapping. For this bugger, I want the edges to smoothly blend into the texture, with the black parts not being visible at all. This is a quite simple procedure that doesn't always work with every texture, but it gets you started on how to do it, basically.
For a blood-stain, go into the channels tab and highlight the red layer.

This layer defines the level of red in the picture in greyscale, and all three channels combined makes an RGB-image.
This will show the texture in the 'red-defining' greyscale, which can be very well used as an alpha map as well. Select the entire layer, and copy the red-channel layer. Now, click on the button circled in red above to create a new channel (which will automatically be named Alpha 1) and paste the greyscale picture in.

Now, we've actually got ourselves our alpha-map! Quite easy, huh? Yes, but there's more to it than that. You can change the brightness/contrast of the alpha channel to suit your needs, if you want a very distinct blood-stain that looks more dried, make it closer to black. If you want it to be brighter and more defined sort of, make it whiter to make it less transparent.
I made mine slightly brighter, for a more defined look. If you flag all channels as visible, you'll see that PS renders the transparent areas with shades of red, which is a bit unpractical when you're working with blood stains, but it is customizable, so you can change it to render the alpha as blue, green or whatever you'd like.

The stain does show quite good, even with the red shades. Through flagging the alpha channel on and off, you can study the transparency to see that it works as you want it to. It's quite easy once you've got the hang of it.

I assume that you'd like a little peek at the final result? Well, you'll have to wait for a short while then, as I don't want to risk losing this post because of the darn computer crashing when I'm running FPSC. My comp is very unstable, yesh.
So, screenshot of final result will be up in a few minutes, and that's that for this tutorial. If you get the hang of it from this method, then you'll easily be able to create alpha maps to suit your needs in no time at all.

PS. As for saving, either save your texture with alpha map in a 32-bit TGA-file, or with the DXT5-setting when saving as a DDS-file.

Hope this helps some lost forumers.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 01:50
Here's an in-game screenie of the final result;

You can get better results through more extensive alpha-mapping, but with these quick-method alphas, you can get good results easily.
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 02:10
Nice tutorial, I can't even count how many people have asked about alpha maps in the past. This will go better in Nickydude's guide.

pigs can fly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 02:16
very cool and helpful
thanks

All the free PCF Productions Stuff
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 02:43
Could I include this in my guide?

Search for "HellHouse" in Showcase.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 03:08
Thanks man!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 03:16 Edited at: 5th Aug 2007 03:17
Sure thing, Nicky!

@vorconan, pigs and Cheese: Thanks, I'm glad you found it useful.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 03:38
Sorry but i didnt knew how to do most of the things.

But i have a question?

Could this tutorial also work for making lightrays?
Because thats the effect that i would like to make.

I tried rolfy's way to save it as a DDS-file with the settings:
32 bit alpha but it didnt worked the true black was still visible
and so was every other color.

If this is possible (to make lightrays)
Could you make a tutorial with many pictures with settings and such. I would kill someone for this tutorial. (no seriously)

Okey maybe not. But you would help me alot!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 03:44
Hm, well, try using the basic DXT5 format instead, the one with 8-bit alphas me thinks. They always work for me, and quite well too. The lightrays-effect is well possible with alpha maps, and would be quite simple to make too. If you don't get it to work properly, try saving the texture as a TGA-file with embed alpha map at 32-bit compression. Hope that helps.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 03:46
I will try thanks.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
Roger Wilco, do you mind if I put parts of this article in a book some of the community is writting called FPS Creator For Dummies?

Not a Vista user, but a Vista Theme user!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 05:23
Very nice. Is there a way I could put this on my website under the Tutorials section?

Haha, just noticed that everybody is asking you for this tutorial, but I was going to write one for my website, somewhere in the distant future, and it would be a thousand times easier to just use yours.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 11:41 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 18:30
@crispex: Sure, sure.

@Inspire: Sure thing, go ahead.
Hehe, yeah. It seemed a popular request, so I thought; "What the heck, why not? It doesn't take long to explain."

For anyone else that wants to put it up on their websites and/or books/manuals, go ahead and do so, no need to ask. A little note in the credits would be cool, but it isn't deadly neccesary.
Strelok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 13:11
Nice job Roger Wilco , a nice useful tutorial.
There are a lot of people that don't know how to use alpha channel.

Thanks.

User of : Windows 95 pentium 1 (0.5 ghz 64 RAM)
Geforce 2 (64 mb)
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2007 19:03 Edited at: 8th Aug 2007 18:31
Thanks for the feedback, OLEG.

I'm planning on doing a series of quick tuts on different things, the next one explaining how to harness the power of the illumination map-shader. If anyone has any known, popular requests on the forums that would fit a tutorial, feel fre to mention them here.
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 02:45
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

I just cant thank you enough!

It worked it already worked but that was just a problem with Vista.
It couldnt save because of bla bla....

After that i didnt tried it again.
Untill today!

Did everything like you said....

And.......it worked!

Thank you again!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2007 18:38
Heh, no prob Cheese Cake.

For great justice.. Bump up every thread!
Or, well, not every thread, that'd be bad..

Anyways, attached to this post is the blood texture used as example in this thread. You may use it for commercial/non-commercial use, as long as I'm noted in the credits and you do not claim it as your own. It's also going to be part of the overlays for my Grunge Pack, so it's a little taste of what's to come.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 23:09
If you do Harness the power! Part 2, could it be on illumination maps, cause I really wanna know how, and I feel kinda emmbarresed that I Dont Know.

I'm sure illumination Maps are very easier and similar to Alpha Maps.

Kind Regards,
Duplex

[url=www.x-games.mdhost.info]X-Games[/url]
[url=fps-files.com]FPS-Files[/url]
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 18:07
Hm, you know what? Sure, it's pretty easy to do illumination maps. I'll just finish up my lamp model and then I can show you all who don't know how it works.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 20:35:00
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 20:35:00