Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [STICKY] CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE v1.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 08:17 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 08:44
Ok, here's one more little update. I just fixed a couple other small bugs that were bothering me.

Fixed the function parameters to work on commands typed after a "then"
Fixed project manager to show settings when viewed after a project is opened.
The IDE now won't allow you to compile until a project is fully loaded. This was a real good way to cause corruption of the .dpro file when the main source file was very large.

@pcRaider,
There is a unicode version of SynEdit that I need to look into using. I'm quite behind the times on using Unicode and internationalization of applications, but I do think it would be a good learning experience. However, this will have to come in a later version of CodeSurge.

@All,
I have started CodeSurge 2 (It will NOT be free, BTW. CS1 will always be free, though.) And the first feature that I'm working on is to implement some code completion -- the little drop down box that has the list of commands you can choose from. I finally figured out a way to make it work with DBP's keywords, so I'm really excited about that (and I'm sure you will be too. )

Here's the promise I made to myself when I very first started this project, and it's still true today. I absolutely will not trade stability for "features." If only every other software company/developer would do the same....
You've probably found out by now that I'm quite a perfectionist, and I take it quite personally when someone can't get it working on their computer, regardless of configuration, etc.

Anyway, Here are a few of the features I'm planning:
*Code completion box
*Todo list
*List variables, globals, etc., in the code explorer.
*A really good search in the code box
*Variable case fixing (like VB would do) to make it easier to spot misspellings (optional, of course)
*Auto completion for things like do/loop, if/endif, etc.
*FUNCTION FOLDING (If I can pull it off. I'm quite dependent on Synedit, and I really don't want the hassle of figuring out how to use a different code component.)
*Search/replace across multiple files.
*A lot of other things, but it's way too late for me to be up right now. Stay tuned. I'll have some screenshots and demos for you to play around with.

Feel free to make recommendations. It wouldn't be near what it is already if it weren't for your feedback.

Edit: Whoops! Attached the wrong version. This one should work.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 16:03
Dowloaded .

freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 06:02
Hate to be a wet blanket but I have this problem with 1.4a and 1.4b when I save a file with icon or by menu and then close the project (see attached). Do not have this problem with CS 1.0.

XP SP3 DBPro 7.4

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 06:27
I've been trying for a little while here, and I can't get it to do it for me. Can you give me some exact steps to reproduce? Do you have to have a new project, one with multiple files, or what exactly?

Thanks.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 08:51 Edited at: 20th Nov 2009 08:54
CodeSurge never ever worked for me in Vista. I always encounter the same error when I launch it both in normal and admin mode. No matter the location of the exe file. Editor window does appear later on but it does not work properly.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DBPro 7.4 + PureGDK

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 13:15
Olby,
If you go a few posts up, I posted a debug version that shows a message box for each action it's doing at startup. If you could run that and let me know exactly where it's crashing, it'd really help me. The last time someone had a problem with it on startup was because of a bad keyword file, so maybe that's the problem?

I've run it on Vista with no problems.

CodeSurge
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, hyrichter.
I am waiting.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 19:47 Edited at: 20th Nov 2009 19:47
It crashes right after "DBP path located".

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DBPro 7.4 + PureGDK

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 20:11
The very next thing it does after that is load the keywords. Would you be kind enough to upload your keyword files so I can take a look at them?

CodeSurge
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 22:45
I open 8K line project with a blue gui include.
I do nothing.
I close the project.
crash.

If I save a little Print, wait key, end progam, no problem.

The problem is essentially the same as I reported earlier in this thread with 1.3.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The very next thing it does after that is load the keywords. Would you be kind enough to upload your keyword files so I can take a look at them?"

No problem, here they are. I know it's a real mess because I have all these keywords collecting dust from the first day I used DBPro around 2003 or 2004.

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 04:15 Edited at: 21st Nov 2009 04:22
Well, the good news is that your keywords cause it to crash for me also. Now, to figure out the exact file and line(s) that's doing it.

Thanks freight hopper. I'll look into that also. I noticed while running CodeSurge in debug mode through Delphi that there were a few times where it was throwing exceptions and eating them (so you wouldn't see it as an end user.) I've got to figure out the exact cause now. It's acting like it's trying to access an editor window that's been closed or something.

Edit: I found the problem, Olby. In your dark_mp3.ini file. Near the bottom of the file, there is this line:
=commands\dark_mp3\.htm=[Return ? as Integer = (int as Any type)]

There's no command name before the = sign. Delete that line (or just write the command name) and CodeSurge works fine. I'll work with CodeSurge to get it to not crash when something like that happens.

CodeSurge
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 14:46
I still must work with CS 1.0 and would like you to consider the following if they are not already implemented:

A button or icon to clear the remembered entries in the find and/or replace lists.

I wish the replace was just a little more coordinated so that if I change or select a prior find that the replace entry would change to match the prior replace used with the prior find.

Thanks. Love CodeSurge.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I found the problem, Olby. In your dark_mp3.ini file. Near the bottom of the file, there is this line:
=commands\dark_mp3\.htm=[Return ? as Integer = (int as Any type)]"

Yup, that did the trick. Now CodeSurge works fine.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 04:50
Arghhh! I'm too much of a perfectionist! I was trying to get some work done on CS2, and found a few things you'd probably wished were fixed a long time ago. So, here's version 1.4c.

Here's what it does:
Fixed it so that badly formed keyword files don't totally crash the IDE on startup (or so I hope).
Fixed an access violation (that was generally just eaten by a try/except block) when closing include files. This one's for you, freight hopper. I still couldn't totally reproduce the error you were having, other than Delphi telling me it kept eating exceptions (which isn't a good programming practice, btw.)
Types in the code explorer are cleared when a project is closed.
Code explorer is cleared when no files are opened.
Closing the IDE just plain closes it without going through a ceremony of closing each individually opened file.

Code on, fellow programmers.

CodeSurge

Attachments

freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 14:54
Still get the same error unfortunately. I've tried various combinations of not modifying the code, modifying the code (bigger, smaller), Save, and Save All but can't nail it down so that it fails all the time or succeeds all the time.

I seemed to have a better success rate when I removed the program icon. I mention this only because there is some baffling weirdness where program B won't show program B's icon unless program A's icon is deleted before compilation. (Don't even know where to assign blame on that one.) Anyway, the success rate was only marginally better and not enough to get excited about.

Can't wait to see CS2.0 and can function with 1.0 until then.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 15:32 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2009 15:35
Hey, I finally got it to crash for me. (I know that sounds bad...)

Anyway, it appears that it only has the problem on a reasonably large sized project. Let me do some fiddling around here, and I should get it fixed. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Ok, the problem seems to be that if you close the project before it's able to get everything loaded into memory (which may take a few seconds on a large project) it has the error. On a 12k line project, if I wait more than about 5 seconds, there's no problem.

CodeSurge
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 16:39
Ok, this had better fix that problem once and for all, freight hopper. I just couldn't stop until I finally traced it down, and I think I finally nailed it. What happens is when you have open a large project, it may take a few seconds to get all the functions/labels/types/etc. parsed out. So, to give the appearance that the IDE isn't hung while doing this work, it allows the other parts of the IDE to function, including shutting it down. So, if you shut it down while it was in the middle of updating the code explorer, it of course would get quite confused and wonder where the memory went that it was storing the data in.

Anyway, enough of that. This should take care of the problem. Here's 1.4c build 2.

CodeSurge

Attachments

Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 16:48 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2009 16:49
Hi Hyrichter,

I like CodeSurge and use it for all my DBPro coding. I had been through every IDE and for me this does the job well.

Hopefully I'll be working again by the time version 2 gets out because it is worth the price. I'd even give a donation if you gave it for free because it's truly an awesome IDE.

Thanks for your hard work and the effort,

Steele

http://www.lanningsoftware.com
Your source for Games and Entertainment
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 23:45
Features suggestion:

Navigating backwards with a key like F3.

Navigating thought code when you press ctrl + right click. So you can go where a function is used or where a function is constructed withing multiple DBA in one project. Back and Forward arrows to navigate to prior or next navigations that you have already done.
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 07:29 Edited at: 24th Nov 2009 07:56
Shift F3

I think you did nail it. I can make it crash if i make a change, save and close and then attempt to re-open. But that I can consistently avoid by just waiting 10 sec between "sessions".

Just an idea - you could have a little panel pop up, "Please wait" that would be essentially invisible for small projects but would linger longer until everything loaded or unloaded on large projects (or maybe an animation of the CodeSurge bolt incinerating a hapless bug).

In any case, I'll start using 1.4c2 as my regular IDE. Thank you!

Mulderman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 21:34 Edited at: 25th Nov 2009 21:35
Wondering why you enabled anti-aliasing on menus.
It looked much better without it.

You should make a option to disable it.

New GTA2 Map Editor :: http://www.gta2madness.co.cc
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 21:02
Quote: "Wondering why you enabled anti-aliasing on menus.
It looked much better without it."

Umm, what do you mean? I didn't know of any option either way. I'm just using a simple VCL control called TXPMenus which paints all the menus, buttons, etc., the way you see them. The menus are just standard menus with that control handling the painting. I was using the menu control from the JEDI VCL, but it had major problems on Vista. I notice that they've finally fixed it, but I'm not about to redo the menus once more if they already work.

I can't believe no one caught this before, but the debug mode menu option just plain doesn't work. It probably hasn't worked for about a year or whenever it was I switched out the menus. (Does this mean no one really uses the DBP debugger?)

So, Here's an update with that fixed. I also fixed some of the flickering that occurs in other windows when the code explorer updates itself. I never noticed it until I started running Windows 7. Doing a little double buffering seems to have fixed the problems.

I do have a bunch of features already in place for version 2, but you don't get them yet. I'll be posting the WIP thread shortly and let you have some eye candy.

CodeSurge

Attachments

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2009 00:55 Edited at: 1st Dec 2009 00:55
Quote: "(Does this mean no one really uses the DBP debugger?)"

Not I

By the way, you should update your sig.

jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2009 08:35
Quote: "Does this mean no one really uses the DBP debugger?"

I do, but I thought it had to do with my pc acting funny. But I would just edit the DBPro to have it enable debug mode

You're the 'th to view this signature!
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 02:36 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2009 02:40
So I just tried running Codesurge, and Avast tells me it contains a trojan. I tried downloading it again using that latest link, and it comes up again.

Sort of odd, it was working fine yesterday. However, today it would hang for a long time on either the parsing or linking, at step 3/3 or something. Then if I hit cancel and try again, it would usually work. Now it apparently got a trojan by sitting on my computer, or else Avast didn't detect it when I first downloaded it. Possibly could be from another source (I'm running a full virus/spyware scan now) but just wanted people to be aware.

EDIT:Hm. It seems several (or all?) of the versions of codesurge in this thread give me the same warning, but other files downloaded from TGC don't.

I will live forever or die trying.

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 02:51 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2009 02:54
I've never heard of that before. I just installed Windows 7 not too long ago, and I haven't put any AV on it yet, but that's still really really odd.

Edit: Did some searching around, and it seems that it's a false positive. That delf-mzg sounds like it might have something to do with Delphi, which is what CodeSurge is written in. I think it has that problem with Delphi programs, since people were reporting it was saying that with Spybot (which is also written in Delphi.)

CodeSurge
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 02:57
I've used CodeSurge for a long time, and I have the most recent version, and I never had any problems. Avast must be seeing something in it that resembles a trojan.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 02:59
Avast screwed up. I can't access their site right now, but here's a lot of people complaining about the problem, and all that programs they're having trouble with are written in Delphi.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23428578-False-positive-in-Avast-or-is-it-real

CodeSurge
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 03:52 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2009 04:08
Yea, I just tried to run Spybot and got a warning from Avast, and then when doing a full scan I got another about Mudbox. Don't really know what I can do about this, I guess I'll have to wait til Avast updates again or something.

EDIT: Just ran the program update, no luck. I'll try again tomorrow I guess. Kinda bummed, I was actually getting some progress on my game.

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 15:16
Hey, everything works now. Guess from the flood of false-positive reports they figured it out.

Lemonade
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but the link to codesurge from the main TGC website goes to an old thread:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=codesurge
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 01:30
So, does nobody hide the docked windows in CodeSurge? There's been a nasty bug with that for a long time, where it doesn't properly repaint the window when it comes back into view and then starts causing all sorts of list index errors, etc.

I'll be posting an update for it shortly. I just have to turn off all the cool features that version 2 will have. (Actually, it's more that they aren't totally stable yet. )

CodeSurge
Version 2 coming soon!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 02:06
Ok,
Sorry for taking so long about the promised update. I got a little distracted trying out the demo of Delphi 2010 (man, that's sweet! I wish I had an extra $400 to upgrade right now.)

Anyway, here's what I've done for you:

Fixed bug with hiding the dockable windows where they wouldn't refresh properly.
Fixed intellisense to work properly when you have trim trailing spaces on.
It should now be totally Vista/Windows 7 compatible. I don't have Vista to test with, but on Win7, aero flip, minimizing, and the fonts are all correct now. Let me know if I've messed anything up, please.

Oh, and I also fixed the copyright date to 2009. I got sick of seeing it 3 years out of date.

Have fun and let me know of any issues. It's now time to get back to features for CS2.

Sorry for the extra size. It was necessary to get all the proper Vista/7 compatibility. Hopefully enough people buy version 2 so I can upgrade to Delphi 2010 which has all that built in and also properly supports unicode.

CodeSurge
Version 2 coming soon!

Attachments

Kryogenik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 21:03 Edited at: 4th Jan 2010 21:04
This is probably me just being a noob, but when ever I try to compile something, it says: cannot find untitled.dba (screenshot attached). Also, whenever I save a project, even after waiting for 20 seconds after saving it, I open it back up and it is corrupt. Running vista home premium.

Codesurge is so awsome, thanks Hyrichter.

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 23:51
Hmmm, I'm thinking you might have run into an odd bug there. Go to the project manager and make sure that the main source is set to "yo.dba" It looks like it somehow is still set to untitled, even though your source file is named something else.

You might want to just open only the source file and then create a new project from that.

CodeSurge
Version 2 coming soon!
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2010 03:37
The menu bar at the top loads extremely slow. If I click on search it takes like 10 seconds to load, and when I highlight over one of the options it takes a second or two. Any idea why this is happening?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 11:51
Could you try loading this source code into Codesurge 1?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=164372&b=21

I have all sorts of problems, firstly it doesnt load in any of the include files, It only opens the main source file in an untitled project, when you close, the other source codes pop up.

You cant compile it. It just says "Range check error" when you press compile.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 16:24
@Clbembry,
It sounds like you've got an old version which didn't properly support Aero. Download the version that's a few posts up.

@kaedroho,
I tried opening that project with the latest update I gave you guys, and it opens right up without any problems. That "range check error" was a bug that happened in eariler versions when the source isn't actually fully loaded into the IDE and you try compiling it. Try the update I posted a few posts up and see how that works.

CodeSurge
Version 2 coming soon!
Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 04:56
I refuse to download the newer version!

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 05:10
Ummm, why? Or are you just joking? Sarcasm is sometimes hard to detect through cyberspace, you know.

CodeSurge
Version 2 coming soon!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:01:29
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:01:29