Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / FPSC against DBpro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a very, very basic question: I bought and have been using FPSC for 1 month now. Have completed a typical game with 3 levels but somehow I don't feel fulfilled having speny most of my life doing active software development with an assorted number of languages. Now my real question (actually 3):

What would DBpro give me that I couldn't do already with FPSC?
What do I need to make a game with DBpro (.x files, .fx, etc,etc..?
Is there any interfacing between FPSC and DBPro (files created in one could be used in the other)?
Thank you
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 21:28
1. Your imagination is the limit.
2. It depends what kind of game you're making.
3. You can import FPSC levels into Darkbasic, and FPSC was made in DBP so of course there are files that can be used in either one.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:11 Edited at: 5th Sep 2007 23:28
FPSC is a Drag and drop game maker, DBPro is a programming language. There really isn't much to compare. The answers to all your questions are pretty obvious. Since you say that you have used other programming languages before, the difference should be pretty clear

Quote: "What would DBpro give me that I couldn't do already with FPSC?"

FPSC is a drag and drop game maker aimed at creating FPS games, DBPro is a programming language. That says it all really

Quote: "What do I need to make a game with DBpro (.x files, .fx, etc,etc..?"

Well, again. DBPro is a programming language. So it would all depend on what you wanted to create with it.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2007 23:25
With FPS Creator you have to stick the the given features. With a programming language you can mix commands, data structures, control structures etc to make whatever you want. Not just FPS games.

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Guyra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 03:31
..and even if you wanted to make FPS games you could make better ones with DBPro than with FPSC because there wouldn't be so many limitations.
JoeSan
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course I know that the nearer the processor core you get the more you can do with it, I started with assembler language, which is what it gets translated to when you go to the next layer, Basic, C, C++ etc which is what it gets translated to when you use FPSC script or any other scripting language.
I guess my question would have been better phrased by asking if it is worth it to go to DBpro if one does not care to create games much less to sell them? unless it is just for fun .
One of you had one of my questions answered. Can I create some routines in DBpro and transfer them to FPSC, apparently yes only missing to the answer is: if so what kind of file type would be passed to FPSC?
tpfkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 09:54
fpsc is linear, one genre only, and that is limited compared to fps games out there now.
Quote: "having speny most of my life doing active software development with an assorted number of languages."

if youve used many languages developing software already then we neednt answer the second question,its basic..with directx.

i use fpsc to make games with my son,its easy, but in my personnel opinion its just an advanced form of the 3d game maker.(still good though)

the programmer formarly known as thicko.
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 10:07
FPSC was created in DBP, so dbp is capable of anything fpsc can do

Kaitia
Years of Service
User Offline
Can someone please discribe clear how to load a lvl of FPSC into DBP?

''To program or not to program that is the question''
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 22:45
In a new thread, yes. Not in this thread.

Our home is our world, our life, home is our world...
Homeworld: The ladder
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2007 22:57
@Kaitia

Check Newsletter 37 (I think it's that one)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 05:15:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 05:15:11