Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Interesting and Hillarious insight into a part of videogames History

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 06:35
EEEK this is bad. I just saw the UK release date(supposedly) for Doom3. 28th November this year, its the same day as Unreal tournament 2004. Which shall i play

"We are getting aggravated"
"Yes, we are"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2003 06:44
ya know it was suppose to be released, October 2002 ... so i wouldn't get to comfy with thier current "stab-in-the-dark" date.

Within the Epic battle of the fates the Shadow and the Angel will meet. With it will harbinger the very fight of good vs evil!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 01:12
Sorry Snake, have to disagree about MGS3. Thought MGS2 was rubbish. Hated it massively. Really really big time. What do people like about loads of sneaking around? Personally I thought Deus Ex was pretty good, but could do with a lot more balls out shoot everything in site and get away with it fun. Call it old school, but I was there when they created the old school and it kinda stuck with me.

Personally the whole game world has been a much darker and more boring place since 2D games and adventure games (IF now) pretty much died a death. I love 3D shooty games, but even they can get a bit grey after a while. And even Doom didn't quite beat Day of the tentacle as my favourite IBM PC game of all time (cos Elite plus was crap on the PC).

Taking all that back though. Doom 3 or UT2004? Well both of course! Doom 3 cos there is no choice of course. And UT2004? Well same reason. But mainly because it has assault. I'll repeat : ASSAULT!!!! Ah.... will pencil out 2004 for LAN games.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 01:14
As an addition, thanks to GBA my game world has brightened up some what. And to think it's thanks to that kiddie game company??? Grief, I'd have shot myself a decade ago! Anyone know how to get hold of a Mario cap?

Cheers

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 01:28
I just saw the UK release date(supposedly) for Doom3. 28th November this year, its the same day as Unreal tournament 2004. Which shall i play

Get both - or wait for the review of both...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 02:00 Edited at: 17th Jun 2003 02:01
No harm done Dazz, everybody got their own views & favourite titles/genres. As for the question on why ppl would like to sneak around, in the case of all the series of MGS, it all can be summarize into *my own personal* conclusion:

old-school-detective + rambo + realism

Detectvie play is true in this case (asit has been in almost any long-story game) with finding infos, gadgets, evidence, tools, etc etc. It gets MGS going to its own pace of story of 'not entirely kill anything that moves'. It also gives the feels of the storyline and gets the player to somehow *think* that they are the Dick Tracy of this movie. Yes, i know, everybody knows wat i'm talking about (and anyone can tell me "Solidz, we know this, u dun need to tell us"), but it does cook up my writing here rite?

Rambo.. hmmm.. this is hard to explain.. lmao!

Realism is very related into both the above since it plays well in both detective + rambo style. To be honest, in real life, u can't simply bust into a high security building, and all of a sudden, all the guards inside are insects for u to squash altogether with yer shoe. Remember, no one in real life can be as suave & elegant as James Bond character in his movies. As Snake, u get to sneak around like a thief with his smooth talking like JB, which comes closely match to Dues Ex, buuuuuuuut remember, Snake gets his training from military to be wat he is today, not entirely or totally be an professional assassin. This is where his persona gets inline with Rambo, a brilliant mixture of the detective play into the body of someone who use to kick as in the battlefield. Some may call him a spy agent, while others may call him a pawn for the entire story, only that he is the hero and hero never dies, if he does die, the player gets a 'game over screen' and can start playing again.

Imagine of Snake in a different position: In the beginning he gets tight police training, then he gets detective FBI training.. later on he goes cases after cases of paranormal events, with the help of unknown informers; and not forgetting his own assistance of crime-fighting, a luvly lady (or more ladies) who the director purposely doesn't want him to fall in luv with...

Never did anyone come to think that Kojima might be getting this *realisticly* idea from watching X-Files, though if i'm not mistaken that the first MGS game came waaaaaaaay long before X-Files was even thought of.

Ladies and gentlemen, i present to u an *almost* identical real-life character to the great Snake:

Agent Mulder lmao!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 02:08
Anyone played the Bladerunner game - very good it was too...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 15:33
It was pretty good. Although I remember at the time it took up around 1.7Gb on a full install. Grief.

As to the realism aspect of games, I guess that is it. Personally I don't like too much realism. I prefer Commando/Rambo films to good old world war 2 ones for example. Essentially a break from reality is cool. A complete no-brainer maybe. But hell, it's more fun (I think). Commando would be crap if he got shot to bits within 2 seconds of getting off the boat with his arsenal of weapons.

Recently the most fun I've had with an FPS is Serious Sam. Ok, so lugging around a big cannon (real cannon like from old pirate ships) is unrealistic, but hell it was fun. Just lost the plot later on when you just had wave after wave of enemies, like space invaders. Was good till then.

Cheers

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 19:49
Serious Sam was amazing, not just because it shared my name

I was a lil dissapointed with some areas of MGS2, but the mgs3 demo looked amazing. However, regardless of what the magazines may try and say it was NOT yet running on ps2 hardware realtime. They'll have to do a lot to get that level of detail running at a decent frame rate on ps2. Its possible, but it'll take a lot of work. I'd expect release dates to slip

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2003 19:54
Serious Sam was awful - played the demo of Sam 2, and after a couple of minutes stopped playing. The graphics are awful and the AI is terrible.

Very much doubt they'll be a Sam 3 (like they said there would be).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 03:33
i didn't like Serious Sam either, was too bland for my tastes - was an amature development that also played like an amature development.
But it does go to show you don't need to make a good game to make it sell or appeal eh.

As for UT, i'm sorry to say kids but i truely hate ALL of the Unreal Tournaments games with a vengence... they all play the same and quite frankly thats the entire reason i hate them. Quake3 is what i believe to be the apitimy of FPS gameplay, personal prefference i know - but as far as i'm conserned UT's always felt so, Detached from the player... whereas Quake3:Arena was like just in your face with smooth reactions.

Also the camera perspective always bugged me, kinda slightly long offset ... like playing a game with the Milkshape Renderer - bleck!

there's always a pattern in the games i like more - they might not always be the best looking or the most indepth ... but they have to play like a dream
Quake, Oni, Max Payne, Mario, Black&White, etc... they're also very smooth to play and you can get lost in the atmosphere.
The ones i don't like are oftenly games that destroy that atmosphere, i absolutly adore C&C-Generals as it can just suck you in - that is also why i liked MGS, but MGS2 was more like an interactive movie ... the constant overview of the story, longwinded cutscenes, it just broke the entire mood of the game. Plus the controls were kinda iffy at times, i mean one thing i wasn't too fussed for in MGS was the control syste and you could end up (literally sometime) running in circles when you need to shoot someone. Got frustrating at times.

I pride myself that i don't kill...
well not without a good reason
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 12:27
I didn't like Quake 3 - the main problem was the graphics - way to synthetic and garish (its a problem I have with all Q3 engines - can just about stand it on Star Trek (as its Star Trek), but even then it looks too chunky). And I dont have any Q3 games (apart from Star Trek, but as I completed it that doesn't count, as it isn't installed any more).

UT graphics are more natural and easier on the eye, and look better too..

Max Payne was good - look forward to the sequel (and hope someone hurries up with the film). Never like MGS (played the demo and got bored).

C&C is good on either the multiplayer (online doesn't work very well at all, but network does) or the one player non-mission option. The missions get very hard quickly and you effectively end up in a stalemate. The graphics are good though...

Never played B&W - heard it was very bugged...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 14:22
The graphics on Serious Sam were lovely (for the time) no pixelating of textures at all, great water effects, very smooth, bright and clear. Hardly subtle, but then neither is the game. The thing that I liked about it was it was a kind of back to basics of fps gameplay - low AI but high speed loads of enemies, blasting at waves of demons running at you point blank, screaming Reminded me of Doom and was a fresh approach compared to the slower, more methodical thinking needed in many newer fps games.

As for Q3 vs U2T, umm I liked both graphics engines but found them very boring as one player games. I don't often play multiplayer games online, prefering to be in the same room as my oponets, as a social occasion to mock them As most of my friends don't want to lug their PCs about, that means I have to stick to Monkey Ball

Max Payne was a great game - slated by many a magazine for being boring, samey an pretty much a no-brainer, but they missed the point I think The atmosphere was there and everything in the world just felt solid and right.

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes, They got them hoppy legs & twitchy little noses,
And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 15:05
Yes, I dont tend to play on-line games - gets too boring after awhile - most people tend to cheat...

I certainly did enjoy Max Payne - the sequel is supposed to be out near the end of the year (or so they say).

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 23:08

Max Payne aka Eric Mobius (Resident Evil)

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 23:11
Good likeness...

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 23:17
the moment i watch Resident Evil at the cinema last time, one look at this fella and "hey! he looks like Max Payne!"

Watch the movie back kiddies, u'll see the resemblence. and watch out for Resident Evil: Nemesis this year and Resident Evil: Apocalyspe in 2004

(why do i have the feeling that one or two ppl will post here saying RE movie was bad. lemme tell ya, there's only 2 type of ppl in this world: one who likes RE, and the others are woosies! lmao!)

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 23:25
lmao i would hope the guys did... as they used an american actor for it who is also on Poltergeuist the Legacy

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2003 23:44
Its poltergeist actually. Sorry, just had to correct that spelling mistake.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 00:49
lol

I liked the Resi movie, althuogh on several occassions I could have swarn I saw a sound Boom pass into the top of the screen... either that or some kinda flying Zombie badger

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 01:21
Nah. UT beats Q3 hands down. Don't know why, just feels better. Which was surprising for me. ID all the way till then. Bit like Voodoo when Gforce came along. Unreal on the other hand was no Q2.

And I dunno. Serious Sam (the first one) looked alright to me. Esp. at some silly resolution (1600 or 2000, can't remember how high it went).

Cheers

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 02:41
yeah well its personal preference more, but i just never liked UT even slightly.
Unreal was better than Q2 ... but i still prefer Q2 cause of playability and Unreals use of lights was extremely offputting

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 02:33:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 02:33:03